About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0d76e46f2bfaa9309198402d554e6e2cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Calling all Ep. 4 ANH Luke costumers....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi of Poker (Tim {T.J.} Balski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Calling all Ep. 4 ANH Luke costumers.... Reply with quote

I need advice from any/all the Ep IV Luke costumers out there...

Before I ask for details, allow me to preface this request with the following:
This costume is not for me... it's for Jeffrey, a 'special needs child' that just turned 18 and wants to enlist. I use the term 'special needs child' because his body is the size of a 6-7 year old.
He wants to do Ep 4 Luke. Courtesy of Tradedelphine (Makaze 501st), Jeffrey will be getting a landspeeder shell to cover his powered wheelchair (and what a wheelchair it is...).

His mother tells me that his size falls @ that of a child's medium.

Onto my questions:
1. I should probably focus his costume around a child's white karate gi, but what are good sources for pants?
2. I carefully assume that white child's galloshes can be wrapped w/ color-matching fabric to eliminate the need to always wrap putees onto his legs. Is that permissable (especially since he cannot walk and his legs will be most likely be concealed by the speeder shell)??
3. Where can I find a good photo reference for the belt??

Please provide answers to the above and feel free to provide any advice/tips/guidance. Be as candid as you'd like

Thanks in advance
Bushwhacker extraordinaire/Squad Leader
Phoenix 7

"Flattery will get you nowhere, but {for the sake of my fragile ego} please don't stop trying..."
BobaFuss (Doug Cottrell)
Canadian Base CO
Canadian Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A karate gi is only a start. The actual pattern needs to be much modified, as Luke's tunic has batwing sleeves that arc right to the waist, and not sewn-in sleeves.

The pants are a pale yellow/beige denim. You may have luck finding something at a second hand store (a friend of mine got his there). Any pockets should be covered by the tunic.

The belt is the most difficult part of the build IMHO. There are some good reference pics on the Replica Prop Forum.

Rebel Legion Canadian Base C.O.
501st Legion Canadian Garrison G.M.L.
StoyBoy720 (Bryan Patrick Stoyle)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The karate gi will potentially be troublesome. My first RL costume was this costume, and I used a karate gi, and it caused all sorts of back-and-forth with approval (it was fine/Formal/Canon, then not good enough for an LFL event, then good enough for the event but not good enough for the KJO, now it's officially been deemed Informal.

If you care about Formal approval, and if it's his first costume, he'll likely need it, I'd highly recommend making a T-tunic yourself. The Padawan's Guide has a tutorial on how to make a simple T-tunic.

The "wraps on boots" idea is an interesting one. It might look a little odd if the boots are far wider than his legs, but like you said they'll mostly be covered by the speeder.

Some of the pouches in the photos above are actually not accurate (some are from promo photos in which some items got switched around).

The belt is a 2" brown leather belt with a rectuangular buckle (you can buy the buckle blank from Tandy Leather easily enough). The buckle has some black weathering on it, and is connected by two snaps to the belt. The belt has two saber hooks (one for the saber and one for the droid caller) and a D-ring permanently attached.

You can see Saberbelt's version of the this belt (not quite the right shade of brown IMO, but it shows you the hardware) here.

The belt then has three pouches: a tall rectangular pouch (I believe this one is optional since it disappears partway through the film), a double Swiss ammo pouch (the two squares next to one another), and the trapezoidal pouch at the front.

Failed First Dates - Comedy Web Series

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jedi of Poker (Tim {T.J.} Balski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug-
Hi Bryan-

Thank you both for everything so far...

Didn't think the tunic has 'batwings;... good to know. Maybe I can mod a std. gi w/ matching fabric...

Something else I've thought of... Jeffrey's height matches that of a 5-6 year old; about half our average height.

Shouldn't the belt be appropriately scaled down to 1"?
A 2" would look rediculous on a 3.5-footer wouldn't it???
I don't think the judges would have a problem, would they???
Bushwhacker extraordinaire/Squad Leader
Phoenix 7

"Flattery will get you nowhere, but {for the sake of my fragile ego} please don't stop trying..."
BobaFuss (Doug Cottrell)
Canadian Base CO
Canadian Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see more what I was referring to in this photo on The Padawans Guide:

http://padawansguide.com/luke_anh.shtml

Rebel Legion Canadian Base C.O.
501st Legion Canadian Garrison G.M.L.

Last edited by BobaFuss (Doug Cottrell) on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a 1.5" belt then, if you're looking to scale it down a bit, but I think a 1" would be too narrow-looking.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EgaBog (Caio Bogoni)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the belt width is basically the same as RotJ, I'm using a 3.5cm (1,4 inches) and it looks really nice!

1.5 inches would do just fine. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of Luke's movie belts, except for the Ceremonial at the end of ANH, are 2" wide. The Ceremonial is 1.75."

1.5" should work okay since you're scaling it down for a kid. 1.75" may even look better.

1" will be too narrow. That's about what Anakin wore throughout TPM, and it's a narrow belt, even for a child.

If you're unsure, I'd suggest experimenting with some paper or tacboard, cutting it to the different widths, and see how they physically look. That way you're not wasting money on ordering/cutting leather that's too narrow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: