About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=18243d7dccc59c6f86e4088088fb8c9dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH DL-44 question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it acceptable to have a modded rubies DL-44 blaster?
Yes, for both formal, and non formal
73%
 73%  [ 11 ]
Yes, but only for non formal events
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
No, just for halloween
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Other
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Users Voted : 15
Total Votes : 15
This poll has expired.
Detailed Results

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for those who are not costumers... average Joe public... it will be more than fine.

Heck I bet you most of our members in the RL have no clue as to what is right and wrong with Han blasters.

I agree nothing is like a good blaster, but its an area hat has never been judged strictly really.

Bob
Lichtbringer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:

I do not think the blasters are more important than how the costume fits... and that is something if you look thru the roster has been a major issue in the past.
We finally have a solid LCJ staff for the Fringe who has been solid in making the call as to what is allowed and what is not. Far too long we let things slide... in another few years, who knows... maybe the blaster quality will also get better.

No, the blaster alone is no sheet anchor for a otherwise only soso costume.

But the blaster and the other stuff is the difference between a Han Solo and a guy in jeans, white shirt and a black vest.

A crappy blaster is just much more obvisiously than a few cm to short black riding boot, or if the pockets are all correct.....

All the equipment is not the only important point, but this stuff is the eyecatcher, if this looks "cheap" the whole costume is implausibly. To set certain standards to the clothing stuff and to disregard this major component (all the equipment, not only the blaster) is definately wrong. A slighly wrong boot is just that, but a eyecatcher that doesnīt catch the eye in a good way, is counteractive.

SoloYT1300 wrote:

I doubt any Elite status would ever get rewarded with anything other than a title, I doubt LFL would care TBH. The biggest benifit (outside of the member who obtains the rank) is the visual benifit of a great costume at events.

Never underestimate the human nature. Wink

If there is nothing to gain (cause you have already formal blablabla) most people tend to beeing lazy and only went for minimal effort.

But if others have a obvisiously higher status/level (and even if thatīs only a name without real effects), there are alway people that want the same, just to feel good - and the more get the higher status, the more is there a invisible "force" for the other. Noone likes it really to be only second class. Mr. Green

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
I think for those who are not costumers... average Joe public... it will be more than fine.

Heck I bet you most of our members in the RL have no clue as to what is right and wrong with Han blasters.

I agree nothing is like a good blaster, but its an area hat has never been judged strictly really.

Bob

Bob, you know my affiliation to blasters. Mr. Green

I really like the look of the Rubies (even with the half in cast scope), itīs much better than the Kenner i had as a kid (and i still have and love it)

But itīs really just one - a childs toy

As often mentioned by me before - i think there is a place and time in the Legion for the toy blasters, just not for approval, and not for the more adult events (without direct interaction with really small kids)

Have a nice day,
Michael
theeviltwin ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
theeviltwin wrote:
SoloYT1300 wrote:
That mentality Greg was exactly the one I had when I first became LCJ... and one I no longer share.

Curious to understand the change in opinion for my own education. I appreciate any information and the oportunity to learn thanks. No doubt it was or good reasons. For another time though.

Because...

Bob Kohn
Bob

(edited out the rest for length)

Thanks very much for the reply Bob. Your reply is very valuable information on many levels, not least to help understand the bigger picture. Not an easy thing to understand and really appreciate unless you have been there and done it, which clearly you have and many (including me) have not.

Cheers.
Greg
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Because... kind of sums it better I guess huh...

If your going to quote me, please try not alter what I said... it's miss leading, still funny though.

Bob
theeviltwin ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Laughing

Because... kind of sums it better I guess huh...

If your going to quote me, please try not alter what I said... it's miss leading, still funny though.

Bob

Yeah well I am rubbish at communicating on forums. Tried not to displease some readers by not pasting the whole lot again just to get to the little bit of new original post (with the bit explaining it was edited for length). I also wish I had though of deliberately posting as if the total reply was "because!" if you hadn't bothered to read the important post it refers to - just because I'm a scoundrel. At least it is amusing and intended message got through.

Greg
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha,

Yeah, the sad truth is... people log in and they MIGHT read the posts on the same page, but not all will take the time and read whole thread.

On a serious note though... If you ever have questions as to the why and how we got to where we are feel free to PM me on the side... I am sure many people do not want to go backwards on these issues on the boards.

Like any costuming group we have had many good ideas as well as some bad ones... with all the new Hans out there I am sure we continue to push forward.

Even if it is 2 steps forward, and 1 step back at times.

Bob
jdyyz ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic. I am a rank noob around here and I am only getting started, but if, for example, the blaster standards for formal were changed to what I've seen proposed here, I might be in jeopardy of becoming a member.

Not because I can't afford a resin or even a really good metal replica, but because I'm not sure I could get one over the border. I haven't tried yet, but I will eventually order a resin one. Then we'll see. Gun laws in Canada are very strict and, if a police officer takes it in his head that my resin DL-44 looks like a weapon, there is every chance he could take action. At the very least, it could be confiscated, but at the other end of the spectrum, I could face weapons charges, which is not something I need in my life. In the very strictest interpretation of the law, even painting a toy to look more like a weapon could be constituted as illegal in Canada, though I think the police are usually smart enough to understand there is some leeway there.

During my research, I have read many accounts of airsoft players ordering replica guns only to have them seized at the border, so this is a very real concern.

I am taking my time on this, building a Han Solo of which I can be proud and which will be with me for many years. I won't cut corners while also not breaking the bank.

But, at the same time, I'm not getting arrested or a criminal record just to satisfy the fantasies of someone who thinks a toy blaster isn't good enough. For some of us, that may be all we can get.

It would be a huge deterrent to membership in the Legion for me and many of my compatriots if the weapons standards presented this challenge, legal disclaimer notwithstanding. So then what do you do? Have a double standard for those whose laws prohibit replica weapons? Accept them anyway? Or tell them they are simply out of luck and it's too bad their country has strict gun control?

I am not attacking anyone here, but I am bringing up some points that I haven't seen considered in this thread.
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One point I brought up earlier, which shouldn't be an issue even in Canada; some people are combining trooping with approval. Approval pictures are taken in private, or a secluded location, which should ideally be free of law enforcement.

Very Happy

Trooping on the other hand, should most definitely obey all local laws regarding replica firearms, etc...
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the standards do say "unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm".. so even if it gets to a point in canada where you can't get a blaster at all, it shouldnt' effect membership.

I don't know if the laws have changed in the last few years or what, but I've never actually had a problem getting blasters into canada. *shrug* maybe I've just been lucky(?). most recently, I purchased a converted airsoft DL-44 through ebay and didn't have a problem. also, as I've said before elsewhere on the forum, the lucas logo goes a LONG way -- licensed movie memorabilia seems to get a free pass from Canada Customs. I have a small collection of licensed 'master replicas' blasters and never had a problem getting those imported either. *knock wood* Wink
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:

Bob, you know my affiliation to blasters. Mr. Green

I really like the look of the Rubies (even with the half in cast scope), itīs much better than the Kenner i had as a kid (and i still have and love it)

But itīs really just one - a childs toy

And this is too...

And everybody knows how good it can turn out if you modify it... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
well the standards do say "unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm".. so even if it gets to a point in canada where you can't get a blaster at all, it shouldnt' effect membership.

I don't know if the laws have changed in the last few years or what, but I've never actually had a problem getting blasters into canada. *shrug* maybe I've just been lucky(?). most recently, I purchased a converted airsoft DL-44 through ebay and didn't have a problem. also, as I've said before elsewhere on the forum, the lucas logo goes a LONG way -- licensed movie memorabilia seems to get a free pass from Canada Customs. I have a small collection of licensed 'master replicas' blasters and never had a problem getting those imported either. *knock wood* Wink

Yeah, I'm just going by what I've read in the laws as well as checking the experiences (limited though they may be) that are documented online. I will give it a go in the future and see what happens.

My concern with tightening the blaster standards is the whole "except where prohibited by law" thing. It creates a double-standard in the application of the standards because some members will have to adhere to a higher accuracy of blasters than others, simply because of that rule. Anyway, it's no big deal. I'm months away from even submitting something at this point, so whatever the standards are at that time will have to do for me.

Just as a point of order, I am fully in favour of high standards and heavy detail in costumes, as that's what brought me here in the first place!
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best thing we could do is change the standards to allow Informal membership the same privileges as what Formal currently enjoys, and add an "Elite" status for the uber accurate costumes, as a "carrot" to be as close to screen accurate as possible.

(Suggests the guy who isn't even a full member yet...)

Cool

But soon!
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Solo wrote:

And this is too...

And everybody knows how good it can turn out if you modify it... Wink

Itīs a point of view question, itīs much to small so it does nothing to me - iīm pretty good in building things (scratchbuilding model-kits is another hobby from me), but to get it alone in the near of something i could like, it would have to be chopped up in a way that not much is left.

So under the line - it would probably be easier and more accurate to build one from scratch, than using this toy.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: