Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ab64fbc309aa30859ae121df01cd6833Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

B-Wing Pilot Outfit & Helmet V2 (Lots of Images)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: B-Wing Pilot Outfit & Helmet V2 (Lots of Images) Reply with quote

Greetings,

Over the past few weeks I've been collecting supplies and working on some basic sketches in preparation to begin working on a new version of my B-Wing pilot's helmet-- one that will (hopefully) be more accurate.
I've also found someone nearby who is willing to help me make a mold from this helmet (in bondo, I think?), and to also use his vacuum form machine to make a nice, light plastic copy of it-- and my chestbox later, but that's a different story.
I haven't really started the helmet yet as I haven't collected everything I need for it yet... After badly spraining my ankle it's been difficult to go out and collect the supplies I need.

Er, anyhow, I have a question. Does anyone happen to have a picture of the back of a B-Wing pilot's helmet? I've got some ideas for it, but I'm just not sure which I'll go with or which would look better or more accurate.
I've checked high and low for a shot of the back of the helmet and I have yet to find anything, but with all the people here in the RL perhaps someone might have seen something.
I've got every other aspect of the helmet pretty well figured out, but the back is what's stumping me. I'm trying to get the helmet as "accurate" as I can, but if worse comes to worse I'll just have to guess as to what the back looks like.

I just thought I'd ask, just in case. You never know. Smile

And for that matter, any other shots of the B-Wing helmet someone might have but would be willing to let me look at would be much appreciated. I've seen the pilot gallery on Photobucket, the archive gallery with the A-Wing, B-Wing and Y-Wing outfits, the picture with a bunch of helmets sitting on a table (X-Wing, A-Wing, Y-Wing and two B-Wing helmets), and the unfinished helmet that was up for auction a while ago. I also have the four most recent action figures and one of the older action figures (the old one, with the black domes on each side). I also have the "Rebellion" comic with Dagger Squadron. Any other shots would be pretty helpful, in case I've missed something. The more the merrier, y'know. Laughing

Thanks.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Thu May 19, 2011 10:47 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Wish I could be of more help.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Heh heh, I could use the good luck. Haven't had much of it lately Razz

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dirty tusken ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking this. do it alex you got it man. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's another couple pics from a SW comic ...

And here's some close-ups of the B-wing helmets off the action figures. What's interesting is that they had two different backs. I kind of like the non-human one better. (( Please note that this "using action figures" as reference goes against the grain since they're SO OFTEN WRONG. But, as we've no evidence to the contrary yet, these might be the best we have for "back" shots... and you have no idea how saying that pains me as a LCJ. ))

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, what comic is that? Haven't seen that one before. The artist seems to have done a very good job on the helmet.

And thanks for the figure pictures as well. Though I forgot to mention that I have all of them for reference... heh heh. I have the four latest figures (Ten Numb, Nien Nunb, Netrem Pollard, Keyan Farlander) and the old figure sitting on my desk. And two LEGO B-Wing pilots, not that those help much. I need to get the Kubrick one that was out in Japan. Razz
But more pictures are always helpful, anyway.

I agree that I like the Nien/Ten helmet better, for the backs. Though admittedly, both are very similar. I was thinking I'd do something similar to the Nien/Ten figure helmets and have the "box" at the back protrude out just a little, but I'm not sure yet.
And not that this had anything to do with the helmet project itself, an interesting thing I noticed about the Nien and Ten figures is that they have two different helmets. They look nearly identical, but if you look closely at the greeblie on the right side of the Nien figure's helmet the greeblie actually has some small holes in it, while the Ten figure doesn't. Just something I noticed... Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
GhostRider01 (Luis Alejandro Mendoza)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, I suggest you look for the video game "rebel assault II" at the Rookie One's training to handle a TIE Fighter, there are some good shots of B wing´s pilot helmet...

Awing

Formely Know as Sgt. Siul Azendom
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there are some good shots there. Unfortunately no back shots, though, but shots of most other angles.

Heh heh, Rebel Assault II is one of my favorite Star Wars games. I've played the heck out of my PlayStation game... Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When reality leaves you hanging, try a different approach...

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the good old RotJ B-Wing pilot figure. It may not be extremely accurate, but there's just something that's awesome about it...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be that accurate, but the back of the helmet is visible. Using that as a base, the details can be extrapolated based on the front and side images of the films.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's true. Though the back of the helmet varies from figure-to-figure, so I suppose I'll just do a few test sketches and see what looks best, kind of combining a few elements for the back and using what I've seen. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started working on the new helmet, and so far I don't think it's turning out too badly. I've only been working on it for about a day, and already I'm pretty much done with the foam work and this weekend I'll be putting clay around it. It's taken its shape, and looked like a B-Wing helmet, much faster than my current finished helmet. I'm whizzing through this thing surprisingly fast...

Currently I've just used floral foam to get the basic shape, just the structure of it. After this I'll be putting PaperClay over it and I'll be doing all of the detailing in that, I'll also be doing a lot of the fixing and evening out in the clay.
I still need to put the "wedge" on top, but that'll be fairly quick. The "domes" on the sides will be put on as a separate layer.

Right now the helmet is about 7 inches tall and about 10 inches from front to back. Once I put the clay on it will be a little bit thicker in its height, probably around a quarter inch I imagine. The upper back will probably be about a half inch thicker as I noticed I need to expand it a little bit... But making it a little bit bigger I don't think is going to be much of a problem, or all that noticeable.
I'm also thinking of making the ridge at the bottom of the helmet on the inside a little larger so it meets closer with the neck. Right now there's a good inch or so between the helmet and the back of my neck, and I don't really think that it should be like that... But I'm not sure.

I have to admit, while I've been working on this I've kept thinking to myself "holy crap this is thing is tiny". It's much smaller than it looks in the reference images, but it seems to sit right on my head, so it seems right. I guess the images can be deceiving. Razz

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Quick2 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to your progress Alex. Smile

Allan

http://kashyyykbase.org/
KASHYYYK BASE
http://cloudcitygarrison.com/
TK-3066
Cloud City Garrison
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: