About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ad7f46a2092795a204aa6f61be6ed1d2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo "Hoth Gear"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Han Solo "Hoth Gear" Reply with quote

Here is little bit thinking about standards for "Han Solo: Hoth Gear":

Quote:
Han Solo (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Hoth Gear)

Required Items:

1. Dark blue or dark brown quilted thigh-length parka with a full hood trimmed in brown/gray fur, 2 pocket flaps at the bottom of the front yoke and a flap pocket on each upper sleeve
2. Correct rank insignia on upper left side of the vest yoke
3. Light gray or tan pants with quilted knees.
4. Light gray or tan suede boots with suede wraps around them and 3 white straps on each.
5. Light gray gauntlet style suede gloves with comlink on left wrist.
6. White rimmed ski goggles with yellow/amber lenses.
7. Light gray or off-white long scarf
8. Accurate leather gunbelt and buckles with capped holster, correct tools and proper droid caller
9. DL-44 blaster (Empire Strikes Back version), unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm

Optional Items:

1. White macro-binoculars with attached shoulder-strap.

Note: The parka was on display at CIV and it was observed to be dark brown. However, the parka does look blue in the films, so we allow both dark brown and dark blue versions.

Updated February 1, 2011

... main quesiton is ... what we mean with term "HOTH GEAR"?

... there is lot of scenes in "ESB" with Han Solo in "parka" ...

1. Han Solo coming back to Echo Base:

Standard issue nr. 1: he is wearing not even goggles, but also cap ...

... after taking off cap, googles, gloves off ... BUT still holding them ... continue into base ...

Standard issue nr. 2: he is not wearing "macro-binoculars" BUT electrobinoculars (Model TD2.3)

2. Han Solo checking Falcon:

... and after Han turns around ... we can see ...

Standard issue nr. 3: still has cap (+googles, gloves off) behind gunbelt

and ...

Standard issue nr. 4: missing one tool from gunbelt

... and after cut ... there is another scene ...

2. Han Solo checking if somebody know info about Luke:

Standard issue nr. 5: holding cap (+googles, gloves of) in hands

+ also ... again he has electrobinoculars
[not in previous scene] ...

3. Han Solo searching Luke 1:

Standard issue nr. 6: again ... cap Wink ... electrobinoculars

4. Han Solo searching Luke 2:

Standard issue nr. 7: again ... cap Wink
Standard issue nr. 8: he is using EnhanceScan general-purpose scanner

5. Han rescuing Luke:

Standard issue nr. 9: again ... cap Wink ... + electrobinoculars

6. Rescuing Han and Luke:

... look ... again ... electrobinoculars

7. Han Solo vs. droid:

Standard issue nr. 10: again ... cap Wink ...

8. Han Solo fixing Falcon:

... this is just for "all parka scenes" (he is not wearing "hoth gear pants", etc.) ...

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
theeviltwin ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good spot on the missing cap requirement. I never noticed it wasn't on the list. Han is wearing the cap in all the archive pictures and scenes in the movie when outside. Even my 12" Hasbro Hoth Han has a cap.

It's a cool feature, not one to be missed whether required or not.

Now that I've looked at the pictures, what are the thoughts on the goggle lens colour? Colour is always the Hoth challenge, but the goggle lens colour seems very colourless...
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how you feel about those standards ... but I think:

1. In standards we request googles [and yes, googles should be "clear" not yellow/amber] ... and because always we can see googles with cap ... it could be correct include cap to standards too ...

2. There are "macro-binoculars" as optional item ... correct term is "macrobinoculars", but Han Solo using "electrobinoculars" - model TD2.3 electrobinoculars (macrobinoculars are specific form of electrobinoculars) ... and ... this item is as optional ... but we can see Han with this it almost for all time ...

3. With electrobinoculars as optional item ... we can maybe include also include EnhanceScan general-purpose scanner ...

Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theeviltwin wrote:

Now that I've looked at the pictures, what are the thoughts on the goggle lens colour? Colour is always the Hoth challenge, but the goggle lens colour seems very colourless...

Yes ... they are colourless ... clear Very Happy ... (there was already topic about it) ...

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32958

Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ... another question ... what to do with "rank badge" - Han wearing it only during outdoor scenes ...

Lichtbringer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no

Quote:
9. DL-44 blaster (Empire Strikes Back version)

The blaster used for Hoth has another mounting for the scope than the one for Bespin. Different guns.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:
There is no

Quote:
9. DL-44 blaster (Empire Strikes Back version)

The blaster used for Hoth has another mounting for the scope than the one for Bespin. Different guns.

I saw only one scene based on which we can say this ... but it is so fast that I am not able to do proper screenshots ... only those ...

Do you have any references?

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing really... if you find any , make sure to add them to the archive.

Bob
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is in the scopemount - no idea what happened or why, maybe again one of these "traveling around the world an countries with different gunlaws"-things kept them from taking one gun to all places and they had to build some fast at destination (they had that problem on a lot of the weapons in all 3 movies).

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34413

The main difference is the knob that holds the scopemount, but there are also slighly size and shape differencies on the scopemount itself.

the Hoth (MGC-replica) knob is a flat and somehow detailed disc with 3 tiny bolts:

While the Bespin (MGC-replica) and Luke (a live firing mauser that had no greeblies on the left side) had the more known knurled knob.

(a early try, before i bought my machines to do better stuff - but the basic difference is visible)

Oh, and the flashhider were slighly different, too. Wink

For a quick read: http://www.thereplicapropforum.com/f9/mr-luke-han-esb-dl-44-flash-hider-58346/index2.html

Have a nice day,
Michael
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:
The difference is in the scopemount - no idea what happened or why, maybe again one .... etc.

Thank you for nice analyse ... but ... do you have any references? ... [if it is possible to see some reference of this "Hoth Han" blaster ... ]

Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnīt the word of Chris, the man who worked in the Lucas archives, and runs the "parts of SW"-website reference enough? Laughing

What elso do you need than the official pics, and his confirmation?

If you look closely to the pics you can see the differencies. Itīs pretty visible.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:
Isnīt the word of Chris, the man who worked in the Lucas archives, and runs the "parts of SW"-website reference enough? Laughing

What elso do you need than the official pics, and his confirmation?

If you look closely to the pics you can see the differencies. Itīs pretty visible.

Sorry ... maybe it will sound rude ... but ... question is still in place: "what about references" ? Smile for example quote of "the man who worked in the Lucas archives" ... also ... you did not showed any official pictures -> so, I am asking if there are any ... Smile

There were lot of stunt DL-44 blasters ... so, without clear clarification we cannot be sure which one was used in some scenes ... which one was not ... etc. ... and for example if somebody found strange DL-44 in Lucas archives ... or picture of it and clarify this like special Hoth Han Solo blaster -> without anything else ... this probably is not good way Smile ... [ after affair with Obi-Wan Kenobi robe ... it is good to double check Wink ]

And just ... one note ... this

... picture from Star Wars Parts is refering to Luke Skywalker DL-44 Smile

Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, i always forget that iīm here in a costume forum, not in a prop forum. Wink I always estimate that the known things are, well, "known". Wink

Blair wrote:

Sorry ... maybe it will sound rude ... but ... question is still in place: "what about references" ? Smile for example quote of "the man who worked in the Lucas archives" ... also ... you did not showed any official pictures -> so, I am asking if there are any ... Smile

Sorry, when i put a link in a post (like i did above), i assume the people take a look on it. I posted this in my build thread here:

I think a lot of stuff, here would be much more sa, if the costume-community would be more up to date with the various discoveries.
Most of them were made/shown on the RPF.

And it was also discussed in my build thread on the RPF, where Chris chimed in - there was a discussion if the inner part is brass, when i said it looks more like glue and/or some dirt, he confirmed it.

Blair wrote:

There were lot of stunt DL-44 blasters ... so, without clear clarification we cannot be sure which one was used in some scenes ... which one was not ... etc. ... and for example if somebody found strange DL-44 in Lucas archives ... or picture of it and clarify this like special Hoth Han Solo blaster -> without anything else ... this probably is not good way Smile ... [ after affair with Obi-Wan Kenobi robe ... it is good to double check Wink ]

And they are known. Wink After finishing the major blaster builds i plan to do the more obscure stunts, too.

Well, Chris/lonepidgeon is not "someone". Very Happy

His site might be not up to date in respect to some newer discoveries - but he himself is, and he ist a active and helpfull member on the RPF.

But iīve learned here that there is not much interest in real sa by the most people, thatīs obvisiously cause someone can run around with a ESB blaster in a ANH costume, or even with a Kenner ANH toy in a ROTJ costume - cause its all covered by "a DL-44".

I think due to that fact long and exhausting explanations would be senseless, with maybe a few exceptions. Thatīs why i prefer to not play wiki for each detail, iīm just to lazy to do that here when the info is public out there. The few ones that are really interested can use my posts as a starting point for their own researches. Most of the info is given then, they just need to do their own search for references.

Blair wrote:

And just ... one note ... this

... picture from Star Wars Parts is refering to Luke Skywalker DL-44 Smile

Right, if you look on the posw site for the Han Bespin, you will be linked to the Luke for pics, due to beeing very similar.

Iīve taken that pic as i donīt wanted to use one of my own collection. To avoid trouble - i lost overview which pics i found on the net and which one were given to me.

No idea why, i would prefer to have all knowing shared with everyone - but that is not how the propworld works. At a certain level, knowing certain people you are often receiving some pics or info to help you out, but with "donīt share with the public", or "donīt share with anybody". And if you fail, that would stop. I donīt have to like that, but i have to play it that way to be not "blacklisted". I prefer to get the "secret club infos" - and thats why i prefer to use pics that are public. Thatīs sometimes bad for explanations or proof, but then i put my own interests (in getting in touch with coming new infos) over the possibility of easy proof. I assume thatīs understandable?

The "Luke" and Hans "Bespin" were either the same gun, or at least made from the same parts. The question is - had Hans Bespin the same Greeblies on itīs left side as the Hoth does? Lukes blaster didnīt have them.

Have a nice day,
Michael
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets make sure we are grabbing these pics and getting them to the archive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: