About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3a7cbc66b2221268253dabb3d09c0746Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My ANH Leia Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekeia27iclo (Paige)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: My ANH Leia Build Reply with quote

I've been planning on making an ANH Leia for a while, but never thought I'd actually get to it. I'd planned on making a Juno for both the 501st and RL, however I'm still waiting on a few pieces and there's another girl in my area who was also planning to join as well. So to have a back up costume to wear to events if I couldn't wear my Juno, and just to have a generally more recognizable character I finally started to work on my Leia.

Over the Christmas school break I went and bought most all of my supplies. From there I made a mock-up out of muslin following advice from several of the great tutorials from other members. I got frustrated with creating the collar and put the project on the back burner and didn't work on any part of the costume again, until I came back up to Dallas for another semester of college. Since Tandy Leather is only about 20 minutes away I went down there the other day and bought a belly strip that was on sale as well as some white leather paint. In that same day I knocked out creating a pattern for the belt, cutting out the belt, punching holes in said belt and dying it. This was also the day I learned to pay attention to what side of the utility knife you're using to make sure you're not trying to cut with the dull side. Confused

Here's a link to the belt in its current state.
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq192/ekeia127iclo/Costumes/beltpainted.jpg

So when I go home tomorrow afternoon to celebrate my birthday with my family, sometime over the next five days I'll cut out the metal plates and attach them and the button covers some how. I'm also probably going to take a short cut and use velcro to close the belt and just leather glue down the top part of the snaps. I hate everything about rivets and snaps so unless my dad can get them to stay down I won't actually be using snaps, but just make it look like I am. I'm also going to try and sew the actual dress with my jet set that I got. Kathy KayDee cleared up some of my questions about the collar so I think it will just be a matter of testing a bit more attaching the real collar.

As for the shoes, I ordered a pair off Ebay the other day and they should be arriving to my parents' home on Thursday or Friday. Here's a link to the ones I bought. I'm planning to remove the buckle at the top and painting the rivet. I hope these will work though. http://goo.gl/4YCXA

I haven't really even started to think about the hair.

I'll post more photos, or links to photos sometime in the next few days as I work more on this. Hopefully I can finish this pretty quickly and submit it for approval before the end of the month. That's the goal at least.

~Paige~
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful belt! Princess Leia is a really fun costume that is EXTREMELY recognizable. The dress isn't too hard, just take your time and don't stress over it.

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing you put this costume together. Those boots will work, but you need to remove the buckle and strap off the top back of the boots, which can easily be done. Smile
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ekeia27iclo (Paige)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my boots in the mail the other day. Managed to take off the buckle and strap at the top. I've decided to paint the metal rivet and the zipper tab white to minimize the amount of metal on the boots.

I also finished the belt with my dad this weekend. We cut out, painted, and then riveted down the metal plates and the round metal things that go inside the button cover. Then we glued down the button covers with some cement glue stuff. We also glued down the tops of the snaps to the part of the belt that shows and decided on using velcro to actually fasten the belt. What ever works, is easy, and still looks good. Looking at the belt on my new form though, I think I may go try to even that bottom curve in the center of the belt, just a bit, but other than that I think it looks good.

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq192/ekeia127iclo/Costumes/leiabeltdone.jpg <- Belt

Next up will be the dress itself. Think I'll try to get started on that tomorrow or Wednesday afternoon. One of these days I'll have to start thinking about what I'm going to do for the hair. I have dark brown hair slightly shorter than shoulder length, but I want to avoid using a full wig.
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I see what you mean about evening out the bottom center point of the belt. About how big is that belt in width from top to bottom? It looks very wide on the dress form, but it may just be the picture.

As for your hair, you can definitely use some clip on buns for your hair since you already have the appropriate color with your own, and its much easier than a full wig.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ekeia27iclo (Paige)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The belt is 3.5" at the "V" and 2.25" on the narrow parts. I bit larger than the recommended widths, I believe 3" and 2" respectively, and that's the width I planned them but it turned out a bit larger. It still looks proportional on me though, at least I think.

I'm having troubles with the robe though. I sewed the dress as Pam's tutorial suggested. Finished with sewing the sleeves and the opening in the back together where the seam was hidden, however, when I put the dress on to test it, the sleeves are getting caught on each other and not falling right. It's like the inside dress is being twisted and thus pulling up the outer dress and the sleeves are twisted and shorter than I made them. If it'd help I could take pictures of it on me and post so you can sort of see what I'm talking about. I don't know what else to do to make it so that it lays flat.
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feel free to post pictures
ekeia27iclo (Paige)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first off, the sleeves get all tangled up before I even put it on.

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq192/ekeia127iclo/Costumes/IMAG0662.jpg

When I manage to get my hands through this is what happens:

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq192/ekeia127iclo/Costumes/IMAG0664.jpg

and

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq192/ekeia127iclo/Costumes/IMAG0663.jpg

One of my problems may be because the curve where the sleeves turn into the dress is too low or not close enough to my body, but that wouldn't solve the problem with it getting caught on itself and not lining up when I put it on even though it lined up before I sewed it together.
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh that is a serious problem...hmmmm
idk how to tell you to fix that without redoing the whole dress.
perhaps one of our highly skilled seamstresses on here can assist on how to fix this problem? Anyone?
Princess Cryvo (Crystal von Oy)
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something similar happened to me, idk what it was, although I messed with the tension on my machine and it seemed to fix it.

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Without seeing it in person, where is it getting caught up on itself? If you took out the seam on the cuffs of the sleeve, would that allow the dress to straighten out?

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
ekeia27iclo (Paige)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Cryvo wrote:
something similar happened to me, idk what it was, although I messed with the tension on my machine and it seemed to fix it.

Did a high or low tension make it work? I was using about a medium on my machine.

Miana wrote:
Hmm. Without seeing it in person, where is it getting caught up on itself? If you took out the seam on the cuffs of the sleeve, would that allow the dress to straighten out?

I'm not exactly sure where it's getting caught up. It looks like I'm going to have to take out the seams on the sleeves and start again.
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the body fit correctly? What you might want to check is that the seams line up properly (the front of the outside sleeve lines up with the front of the lining). That might help fix it. But you will have to tear out the sleeve cuff seams.

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Princess Cryvo (Crystal von Oy)
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekeia27iclo wrote:

Did a high or low tension make it work? I was using about a medium on my machine.

I wish I could remember, because it was a "knit" type material, I just played with it until it stopped puckering, might have been a little less tension, plus stretching the material a bit helped.

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney
ekeia27iclo (Paige)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what I did, but whatever I did worked. I ripped all the seams out from the sleeves, and once again the sleeves were flat like they were supposed to. I went back to sew them again, used a slightly longer stitch and a lower tension and it worked. Had to sew a very small top stitch though, to keep the inner lining from showing below the upper lining. I think that may help it from twisting some as well.

I've got everything done on the dress except for the collar, the hem, and finding some way of making the dress look baggy up top. I'm thinking I might use a really thin elastic strip, and hope that it doesn't move when I'm wearing and show under the belt. I'm also a bit worried about the collar, because I've never made one before.

I also finished the buns, and I hope they work. Still trying to figure out a way to attach them to my head, but I've got some combs and lots of bobby pins and hot glue. I'll figure out something, and post some photos a bit later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: