About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2d8745efb90a65b4f403980a791c45eaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia ANH Belt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurisuchie2kimi (Kristie)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Leia ANH Belt Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of making a Leia ANH costume for a friend, but I'm a bit hesitant/puzzled when it comes to the belt.

Specifically, the silver/aluminium parts. I'm new to costuming, and don't have a workshop (or any handy skills for that matter haha!) and am a little hesitant on cutting or using aluminium, so I was wondering what you all thought would be a good alternative?

I want it to be as close to the original as I can get, so I'm just wondering things like, spray painting vinyl/pleather silver, or something? Happy to hear any and all suggestions!!
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the standards and it does say that the belt should have 7 metal plates on it. Not sure if you would or could get away with a material like vinyl or leather for the belt plates...

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that in the way of getting a costume approved, but seeing as I'm just making this for a friend I'm not too concerned with what would be approved or not Smile Thanks for replying!
Jaxxa ()
Mos Espa Base XO
Mos Espa Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently did a non-RL Leia belt using craft foam. There is a kind that comes in packs like construction paper. One side has a fine silvery glitter finish and the other is adhesive. I used white leather for the belt itself and the usual button covers for the centers of the plates. The foam adhesive was strong enough to stick to the leather, then I hot-glued the button covers in place. I used Velcro strips instead of the film accurate snaps to close it since they suited this particular purpose a bit better. Very easy, light, and less potentially poky to wear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oohh..That could work..I'll keep an eye out for some craft foam, and other alternatives as well, thanks Jaxxa!
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pieces must be made of metal in order to be approved with the rebel legion. If you are not concerned with that, then im sure you could use just about anything, if your friend wants it that way.
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I guess I'll just figure something out, then.
Jaxxa ()
Mos Espa Base XO
Mos Espa Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, the question is just whether your friend wants the costume to be approved for RL membership or not.

If she does, you need to use the metal plates. They really aren't that difficult or expensive to make with some of the tutorials around here, or you might even be able to find a member to make them for you (I'd volunteer, but my plate is a bit full at the moment).

If she just wants a really good costume but isn't concerned with the RL membership right now, cut some plastic or use another alternative method if that is easier for you right now. She can always upgrade it if she changes her mind, all of the available options are relatively inexpensive and easy to change out.

I know the costume standards call for metal for accuracy's sake, but I'm sort of surprised that there doesn't appear to be much discussion about the possible use of plastic for these things. Seems like they would be ideal products for a CNC machine and the metallic finish is often painted anyway. It would produce more uniform edges than cutting individual pieces of aluminum with clippers like most of us do now and shouldn't require the sanding down of sharp edges, and the points of the plates would be much less likely to snag the dress fabric. Just an idea I've been kicking around for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree about the plastic - that's one of the reasons why I didn't want to go with aluminium - I don't have the equipment to sand the sharp edges, or even cut the metal to begin with, and I was worried about it snagging on the dress.

Unfortunately, the dress has to be ready by Thursday, and I'm in New Zealand, so even if I did get a member to make the pieces for me, it wouldn't be on time Sad But that's okay! I actually ended up going to my local craft store, and buying a pack of paper mache coasters, cutting them to size with a craft knife and painting them silver Smile It's not RL approved, but it'll do for her Star Wars party Smile

If she wants it approved, I may dabble in the aluminium at a later date, but for now I don't have the money, or the means, to do it.

Thanks everyone for any help you've given Smile
Jaxxa ()
Mos Espa Base XO
Mos Espa Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found something that worked out Smile

The metal ones can be done fairly easy if you have access to a hardware or home improvement store. Small aluminum sheets can be found in the roofing section and you cut them with metal shears that are basically big scissors. Cut them out, usually poke a hole for attachment through the center with a drill or even just a nail, then sand all the edges. Probably need to paint for an even finish. Overall, the materials cost me less than $20 and that included the metal shears.

Aluminum is very thin and pretty easy to work with, but my first set of belt plates bent at the drop of a hat. I tried again with thicker metal that was more difficult to work with but resulted in much better looking plates. Now I worry more about snagging, as the fabric commonly used for the senate gown is prone to snags to start with and the points of the plates stick out just enough to catch it. Like most costumes, still a work in progress Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you got lucky price wise! I looked at metal snips at the hardware store today and they were over $30!

Yeah, I think most costumes are always a work in progress Smile There's always new ways to make things better!
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've not experienced snag problems with my ceremonial, but yes, the fabric of that dress is extremely snag prone. Confused

I hope you'll post a pic of the dress, so we can see the result. We like pics. Smile

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try! I'm just having a few difficulties lining the dress at the moment lol! Then it should be smooth sailing from there (I hope)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: