Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e43a28389abfc4d5ca947c51f96c3c1bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Picnic Gown (Beginning)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
padme9055 (Tabitha McCurdy)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Picnic Gown (Beginning) Reply with quote

My friends are getting married this year and I got invited to their wedding (YAY Smile ). They are geeks (Star Trek, the guy got me into the whole costuming thing) and are having a costumed wedding. So I really want to go and decided that if I do go, I'm going to make Padme's Picnic outfit as my gown for the occasion. It helps that I don't really have anything nice I'd want to wear to this and the dress is just gorgeous anyway, who cares it's also from Star Wars Smile .

Right now I'm looking around for materials and such. Hair will not be a problem for me because I already have really long hair, so I will just curl it and put in the buns. I'll have to figure out something for the nets, though.

As far as fabrics go, what have you guys found to be the best for the shawl? I'm still researching all this, but I'm thinking a drapey sheer with the embroidery on it is ideal. I'm apposed to embroidering it myself if needed and if I can't find the right colors.

So looking forward to this costume Smile . Natalie Portman is my favorite actress and I adore her in Star Wars Smile . Thank you all in advance for the advice! You guys give such good advice here.

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! There is a LOT of information on this costume! Just reading on Padawan's Guide has my mind blown! I guess I'm going to have to pick somewhere to start and right now the corset sounds really good, with all the embroidery involved!

*reels from overload of information!*

allycat (Ally Bock)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorites so, "We will watch your career with great interest." Wink
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my faves too Smile I'll be starting mine in September. I always start from the ground up, meaning underdress first, but this fabric is probably thin enough that it wouldn't alter the measurements for the corset much Smile I'd also suggest going to KayDee for advice, she has made a very accurate one as well.

Lady MacSnood is where you want to go for the bun covers Smile http://www.snoods.com/bunsize.html

Good luck! Look forward to seeing your progress!

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to do this costume one day, I look forward to your progress!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on this one for a while - the sequins are kicking me at the moment - but I'm ALMOST done with them!!!!!!! Very Happy I have everything written up here: http://padmeofhiddenlake.blogspot.com/ for what I have finished. I have a lot of projects of different sorts going at once so not all the posts are on this dress but each post about it is pretty long and detailed with pics (and they are the majority)

Another possibility for the bun covers (that may be a bit cheaper) is to go to a dance store and buy them there. Going in the spring around recital time or late summer when girls are starting class for the next year will give you sales as a lot of studios require them. Spring has more color choices and is more likely to have metallics as they need to be matched to the costumes - but buying white cotton yarn ones will let you dye them the exact shade you want (if you don't want it too metallic). I got a pair for $3 each at the store where we always bought my shoes in HS (yes I was that annoying perky ballerina who danced in the corner during gym cause I was scared of the ball - and wore my dance clothes all day at school). Just go in and ask - and if they don't have the color you want but it is in their catalogue they may be willing to order it for you - and have it shipped with their next order so you still pay less.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a brillant idea! I hadn't thought to look at dance stores for the bun covers.

I can't wait to go to Joann's to find the fabric for the corset so I can start on the embroidery. And look around to see if I can find something for the skirt and shirt.

Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have to give my sister credit though cause I was looking for a crochet pattern and she walked by saw the pic and said, "too bad you couldn't just dye the ones from High School" (I had black, pearl, red, lace, black, pearl, and black - not dye-able to yellow...) so I thought of going back to the same place and seeing what she had.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
This is one of my faves too Smile I'll be starting mine in September. I always start from the ground up, meaning underdress first, but this fabric is probably thin enough that it wouldn't alter the measurements for the corset much Smile I'd also suggest going to KayDee for advice, she has made a very accurate one as well.

Lady MacSnood is where you want to go for the bun covers Smile http://www.snoods.com/bunsize.html

Good luck! Look forward to seeing your progress!

Yeah, it would make sense to do the underdress first, but with the schedule I'm putting my self on and with all the embroidery on the corset, I think I will start with that one and move on. I hope I don't have to cheat on the skirt, but if I do, I'll just make a new one for approval and find a nice skirt to wear to the wedding Smile I'm also going to make an undercorset for the gown, probably the same one I will eventually use under Padme's Purple Senate gown (the burn out velvet one). Just to have the support and so that I don't feel the need to wear a bra with the gown. And it will make a smoother fit for the outer corset. At least, that's what I'm thinking right now Razz .

Padme of the Lake, where did you get your sequins? They look really good (and like a lot of work).

Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!. They are a pain to sew - just because of the time involved and how tiny they are. I actually got them from someone on here - a group had ordered them custom cut years ago. I can PM you the details if you want. I also will have a bunch leftover as I only have a little bit more to go and lots left in my bag, my goal is to have the under-dress done by the end of the month so I will know for sure how much I have at that point if you are interested.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the information would be great! Thank you!

RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is perfect choice for a wedding. Very romantic!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday at an armor party, I cut out the under corset, but didn't have a chance to work on it (helped other ladies make twi'lek head pieces). So my project today was sewing it up.

I used a twill kind of fabric for the corset with three layers: fabric, interlining, and lining. I had intended to bone it, but I also wanted to interface it and give it added stiffness, to help with the whole holding in thing. The stuff I used was a Proylon or something like that and it's like an 1/8 of inch thick. And STRONG! It's so thick and holds the shape so well, I'm thinking I won't need to bone at all for this corset.

I took a bunch of pictures, but I can't figure out how to get them off my phone because I can't find the adapter for the chip. And it's late and I have to work tomorrow Sad . If I didn't have to work, I'd probably be up till 4 am working on this thing Smile . Maybe Smile . I'm thinking for now to stitch on some of that grommet tape so that it will be easy to remove if I decide I do want to bone. Hopefully I will have some pictures to share tomorrow Smile .

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow! I think we mutual facebook friends Smile I just saw a lekku making party on my stream Smile

You will want boning later on Smile Boning is not just to support the inward curve but to keep the fabric vertical, to hold it up and not wrinkle. Over time the interfacing will break down and soften (it'll be faster than you realise). if it were a strapped corset it would be less of an issue (there are lovely corded stays of the early 19thC and also felt lined bodices of the 16th) but you don't want the thin straps of this costume to do all the holding up Smile

Armourer, sculptor, seamstress, tailor.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this BEAUTIFUL fabric at Dharma Trading that I think would be beautiful for the skirt and top.

Silk Chiffon

It's so pretty (at least to me), though it would have to be embroidered. Now I'm thinking that I want to get the fabric with the right drape and then embroider the skirt and top myself. I'm also giving myself more time to complete the outfit to Legion/personal standards.

My current plan is to get the corset complete with embroidery and ready to sew up (which is easy for me), then embroider the shawl (starting with the roses and moving on to the vining) and sew together the skirt and top. That way if I don't get the embroidery done on the skirt and top, I will still have a beautiful outfit that looks close to the movie outfit to wear to the wedding and then when I get home from it, I can continue to work on it and get it to the point where I apply to RL with it Smile .

Right now I'm still working on the undercorset. I'm hoping to finish it and start drafting the over corset (and maybe cut it out to start embroidering it) by this weekend. This Friday is also my last full day of work (after that my schedule is much more open YAY Smile ), so hopefully next week I will have some time to work on this before I get some more commissions (I'm open to emails and PM's about commissions).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: