About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e8fb487200ef887d34175909e34466c1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Episode I Battle Handmaidens
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sazpom (Sarah Parker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
I think 'styling' is an awfully strong term for what we do. Here's how our pieces work: It's the folded ponytail, with a hair comb attached to it.

1. Put real hair into pony tail.
2. Insert comb into hair behind ponytail holder. Push down so you know it's in there really well.
3. Take real ponytail and wrap it over hair piece.
4. Continue wrapping by looping it down, around and over the hair tie, covering over the comb and securing your hair in place over the hair piece.
5. PIN LIKE CRAZY.

I would certainly advise it over a wig, because it's really hard to get a good wig, especially one you can pull up into a ponytail. They aren't actually made to do that, unless you get an actual ponytail wig, which will be more expensive. When the hairpiece is this simple, it's worth it to figure out the mechanics of how to get it to stay on your head.

Thankyou Llisa I will have a play around with this and see what I can do LOL! Wll post pics hen I get it sussed hehehe!
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did it different ways, but the outcome/styling is pretty much the same. Our real hair is used to be the center anchor and wrapped all up and around the fake hair.

Ignore how the bottom loop twisted, but as you can see (since it's impossible to match my hair), the loops are fake hair, ours is the super twisties.

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
Sazpom (Sarah Parker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to look at buying the materials myself then finding someone over here in the UK to helo me make it, could someone tell me the correct colours please and correct fabrics too.
Thankyou in advance Smile
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors are really as close as you can find. We got lucky and pretty close. You will be happiest with a silk velvet (color is wine red/burgundy). Rayon velvet will have the correct drape, but it will look cheaper in flash photos. Cotton velvet won't drape as well, but will react better to flashes. You really don't want stretch velvet of any kind though, it will sag around the back seams and look gross.

We used a salmon pink kona cotton for the under shirt. Kona cotton is a two-way stretch (which means it stretches on the horizontal but not the vertical). While this isn't necessary, it really helps with being able to bend your elbows in those tightly tailored sleeves. Above all, you'll want cotton, stretch or no stretch. A standard four-way stretch wouldn't work well with all the pleating.

We used a silk charmeuse for the lining. Again, satin charmeuse would look okay, but silk always photographs and hangs better. Ours was a fairly pinky-red color.

If you can, buy all your fabrics at once, or take swatches along for color so you can unify the color palate. It doesn't matter if you're a few shades off in one direction or another, as long as the colors all fit together the same way the original did.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sazpom (Sarah Parker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Jenna
I will write these down and take them with me when I go to the shops, hopefully they can help me.
You have all been so helpful I really appreciate it. x
DorcasCrooc (Paw Cortes)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My blaster's finally done!

My friend made this for me. I have couple of reference found in forum. However, in the movie/promo pictures, Amidala used one with a long nozzle and another with a short one. I sketched the blasters and conceptualized to do a "2-in-1" blaster. The nozzle of the finished product is adjustable. We used rubber for the base and painted it silver. The extension of the nozzle is steel. The handle is also rubber and we painted it with a mix of black and brown paint.

I'm still in the process of doing my long-sleeve, ribbed undershirt. Will post as soon as the whole lot of the costume is done.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome idea with the extendable blaster. We just altered ours from the rubies guns by cutting the tip off, then adding a dowel rod back in between the body and the tip, before we painted it the right color. A friend of ours has some ideas on how to make the paint job look even better, so once we try that out, I'll write up how we did it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sazpom (Sarah Parker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone send me a copy of the pattern for the costume please as I want to get started one mine but need the pattern first.
Hope someone can help me would be great if it could be emailed it.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is that I am having trouble finding a place with big enough scanners to scan this pattern, so there isn't a digital version yet. Give me another week while I scour the copy shops around my work for someplace that can do it.

Sazpom (Sarah Parker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jenna i can wait a bit longer, I have found a plac to get material from now and so i'm keen to get started Very Happy
Sazpom (Sarah Parker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the pattern from some were else and if so could I get it from there too, as I want to get started on my costume but need something to work from, I know you have been trying to sort the pattern for me but now getting impatient LOL!
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sazpom wrote:
Did you get the pattern from some were else and if so could I get it from there too, as I want to get started on my costume but need something to work from, I know you have been trying to sort the pattern for me but now getting impatient LOL!

I do not want to sound rude, but most of what we do as costumers is from scratch... there are little to no patterns one can buy that will complete these costumes in of itself. You might find a few patterns to get you going, but at some point you will have to draft your own pattern to get it done.

If someone is willing to offer their assistance to help you with a pattern your extremely lucky... for many people put in a ton of time to get it right, just to hand it over to someone they barely know.

If you do not have the skills, then you are at the mercy of others.... and patience may be your greatest costuming skill untill you learn how to sew more.

2 cents...

Bob
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He speaks the truth. The problem we're running into is that some of the pattern pieces are just huge, and long. The only thing you could probably just go out and buy a pattern for is the pants- we just used a Burda pattern and moved the zipper from the front to the back. And truthfully, you could do that with any pants pattern that's not too loose, and not too tight. We just picked one out of a pattern book and said, "Yeah, we can work with that."

Do know that getting a pattern scanned is on the to-do list, it's just been a busy, busy few weeks around here.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fantastic thing about groups like this , the ability to pool resources ideas and information ... Other wise we would just be our own little islands .and that can get rather lonely if you ask me .... It is great that we can share ideas , ask for help from our fellow fans , and to do things we might not have been able to do before... .

As a teacher i find 2 types of teachers out there. The first type that will horde and hold all their lesson plans , materials and ideas to themselves never sharing , in a strange covetous type relationship with their own materials. That some almost see the sharing of ideas as an insult .Why would i share that lesson with you, Do your own damn work..

The second type would leave their door open, sharing what they can...

In the end the teachers are there for the students not themselves.... I look at this group as the same ... We are here to support eachother. I great looking jedi is a good thing.. .1,000 great looking jedis is simply amazing and a site to behold......
PatchworkPirate ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sazpom wrote:

I've made this costume by Frankenstein-ing three patterns together and heavily modifying them. Basically ended up being from scratch but using commercial patterns as a base is a start, right? I can look at which ones I used later this evening if you like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: