About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5afbea2eb509206a5e5ff1213944a6dcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Episode I Battle Handmaidens
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, from waaaaaaaaay upthread:

the first post wrote:
I based the coat off of Butterick 4688. Although I don't have pictures of the mockup, I based the shirt off McCall's 2401, and I plan to do pants off of Burda 7746.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Sazpom (Sarah Parker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou everybody I truely appreciate everybodies help, I am th eonly person in the UK doing this costume and so I am almost relying on you guys to guide me in the right direction and you are all being very helpful and patient with me thanks again.

I will look up those pattern numbers Lisa thanks. Patchwork Pirate also thankyou I will be glad of any type of pattern I can get Very Happy

Thanks again peeps. xx
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnius wrote:
the fantastic thing about groups like this , the ability to pool resources ideas and information ... Other wise we would just be our own little islands .and that can get rather lonely if you ask me .... It is great that we can share ideas , ask for help from our fellow fans , and to do things we might not have been able to do before... .

As a teacher i find 2 types of teachers out there. The first type that will horde and hold all their lesson plans , materials and ideas to themselves never sharing , in a strange covetous type relationship with their own materials. That some almost see the sharing of ideas as an insult .Why would i share that lesson with you, Do your own damn work..

The second type would leave their door open, sharing what they can...

In the end the teachers are there for the students not themselves.... I look at this group as the same ... We are here to support eachother. I great looking jedi is a good thing.. .1,000 great looking jedis is simply amazing and a site to behold......

Love this! I know that I'm always willing to share anything I know/have and it's wonderful to meet others who feel the same way.

If you guys ever get them scanned I know I would love a copy. I typically don't draft patterns from scratch, I never learned how, so I wing it. With a costume as beautiful as this I'd want to get it right.

They've all turned out beautifully and I'd love to join the other handmaidens I've seen here. Very Happy
carriz ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have to say you guys are brilliant Very Happy love ur costumes!! In the process of making my own padme handmaiden costume Very Happy your posts are a great help Smile I'm just wondering, I read that some of u may send out swatches and pattern :O how can I get my sticky fingers on these? ;D or if anyone have any sketches of the patterns they made? Smile

- in need of some inspiration -

You guys are awesome!!!

- Karianne
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be me!

First answer, I have rather cryptic uploaded scan of our coat patterns: http://www.toweroftime.com/fotos/coat0001.pdf

You can print it out and piece it together with the numbered and lettered diamonds. This was my pattern and I am 5'6" and 36"-30"-36."

As to swatches, I left all of my left-over fabric with DWH when I moved out. The good news is, I'm going out to visit her after Christmas. So, if you shoot me a PM with your address, I'd be happy to put a few swatches in an envelope for you once I am out with her.

Please do post any questions (and progress photos!) you have as you are working through it.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
carriz ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you do much ;D this is amazing ;D

just pm'ed u my address ;D thank you so much!! You are an angel!!

LOVE the pattern btw Very Happy piecing it together now ;D

I'm documenting everything, so gonna post when i have made some awesome stuff Very Happy
carriz ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one more question for you guys ;D You'v probably already answered this question, but I cant seem to find that Smile

I was wondering how many yards of velvet fabric you guys used?

Thanks again for all your help Smile
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, between the three of us, we bought 21 yd, which was about 7 yds per person, but because we ran really short, Rachel's jacket was not as long as ours. I would say, give yourself a full 8 yds, which gives you some more room for lining up pieces on the nap correctly.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we only were able to get 18.5 yards?

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel is correct. We wanted 21 yards, but the bolt only had 18.5, and we were left with exactly 1mm left at the end. This was partially accomplished because Jenna and I were small enough that we could double up our pieces for a more velvet-efficient layout.

So 7 yards should probably be fine, but an extra wouldn't hurt if you want to have room for error.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

carriz ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks soo much for you replies ;D And SongofAmazon got the swatches today AMAZING!!! Gonna bug you guys one more time with velvet questions Razz You guys are soo patient btw!! I have a few photos of two swatches I'v got, they might be to dark, I don't know, I feel so indecisive Razz To the far right is the swatch i got from you guys Smile The middle one is the one I'm thinking of buying. Btw the photo doesn't do the fabric justice, but we have like zero sun in norway this time a year so hard to get a good photo Smile Do you think I should go for the fabric? Its the best match I'v found so far Smile Or should I maybe try find one that's more red? And what do you think about two way stretch velvet?

I photographed the back as well so you can se the color better maybe Razz

[/img]
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, good finds on the colour! That's really close, and I'd say go for it.

A caution on stretch, though- it will make your life pretty miserable if you try to use it for this costume. I think one of Joslynn's early versions used stretch velvet, and she had trouble with fabric pulling and puckering in strange ways. Not to mention for the garment to hold its shape, it can't really have any stretch to it. Which is sad, because we spent a lot of time in the fashion district yanking on fabric only to discover it was stretchy. Razz

Velvet and charmeuse are tricky enough fabrics to work with; I think you'll be more pleased with the whole process if you don't add stretch to the mix. Smile

carriz ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

The swatch on the far left is a Upholstery Velvet, do u think that might be to stiff (100% polyester)? Its a little less "red" then the middle one - >> which is the stretchy one Smile

Thanks again for ur help Smile
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color looks great on both of yours. What is to say that ours is actually the 'perfect' color? It is just the closest we found in California.

I'm with Lisa on this one. Don't do stretch. It will look worse and be so much worse to work with. One thought, though, is if the colors do look the same in person, you may consider doing pants in stretch and the coat in the non-stretch. In our pants, we are almost as bad at sitting as Stormtroopers are.

Polyester hangs a pretty similarly to silk velvet. Ours may actually have been upholstery velvet too, as the nap was sideways (which was a fun discovery to make).

A drawback of polyester, which you can see in the photos, is that it sparkles a lot more than silk velvet. In person, they don't look too much different though. Drawbacks of silk velvet is that it is far more expensive and is a lot more fragile to being crushed. So, each has its strengths and weaknesses. Myself, I am super happy with our silk, we just have to be more gentle with wearing and storing it.

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this costume for someone and she purchased the velvet, she managed to find a silk velvet and a stretch velvet in the same color so she had me make the jacket from the silk velvet and the pants from the stretch velvet. That way, the pants had a bit more give when she moved/sat, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: