About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cc236717188ccdde524493760a2b709eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Guy in Valdosta....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Bespin Base -> Bespin Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brushy_creek_blues ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: New Guy in Valdosta.... Reply with quote

There is a lot of good info here and on the other sites. I have had people ask me about what I am really looking to do and ideas but am having a hard time narrowing it down. I actually am approaching this same way I do a Historical Impression and that is with a list of things to help me narrow down the choices and throw out the more elaborate ideas. Just for your perusal here is my list and maybe y’all can share your experiences and suggestions.

1. Cost- How much overall will it cost from materials to custom tools.

2. Versatility- How much use can one get out of the impression with and without swapping parts, decals, etc.

3. Durability – How well the impression will hold up to normal activity and then some.

4. Availability of Materials (Finished) – Non homemade items in finished forms.

5. Availability of Materials (un-finished). Kit or home made items.

6. Ease of Construction – How easy is it to put together.

7. How I look in the Kit. – Very Important, You think being asked “Aren’t you a little short to be a stormtrooper?” sucks? Imagine the strike to the ego when some asks “Aren’t you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?” Just for general Sizing information if you are curious…I am 5’9” 260ish. Basic description is a “corn fed Country Boy”.

8. What it will bring to my group. - Will it be a plus or minus to others around me.

As I have read many forums lately as I try and make an informed decision but sometimes from forum to forum the water just get’s muddier as many posters have large differences of opinion on what is good or bad. I know while looking up one site there were people swearing by one make of an item and then on another thread condemning them. It’s all kind of funny that in my Historical hobby I thought that we were “stitch counters” and I come over here and it’s the same thing in many cases.

Just to muddy the waters a bit here are the main costumes that interest me……

Rebel Trooper (endor)
Jedi(any Era)
Rebel Trooper (Hoth)
X-Wing Pilot
Scout Trooper (Clone)
ARF Trooper(clone)
BARC Trooper(clone)
Galactic Marine(clone)
Clone Trooper (RotS)
Clone Shock Trooper
Mandalorian (I know it’s not RL, I just like it.)

That doesn’t mean I am not open to any others and I encourage suggestions but these interest me the most however I have no interest in Wookie, Jawa, Ewok, Droid, Main characters (Vader, Luke, etc), or other nonhumans that requires that require prosthetics.

Anyways that’s my annoying post for the evening.

*Modified and reposted from GA501st forum*
Phrog (Beth Spires)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo-hoo! Someone else from my neck of the woods! (I live in Moultrie.) Very Happy

Now, on to your questions:

The most inexpensive (relatively speaking, of course) is probably the Rebel Fleet trooper. The pants, vest, and shirt can be modified easily from off the rack clothing. The most expensive pieces of the costume would be the boots and helmet. But, the boots can be used for more than one costume, so you could spread the cost out. Belt can be made using a belt blank and buckle blank, both available from Tandy leather.

Probably the next least expensive on the list would be the Endor trooper. A little more cost and time involved in getting the camo painting done and getting both parts (cloth and hard) of the donut.

The X-wing pilot (my personal favorite) can be a little more time and money consuming than some of the other costumes, but it is easily recognizable and looks great no matter what shape or size you are. There are a number of RL/501st members who make the helmets, chestboxes, flak vests, flight suits, and flare holders, so getting the parts for the costume is not that difficult.

And pilots get to personalize their helmets. Mr. Green

Hopefully we (Bespin Base/Ga Garrison) can get some kind of armor party going this Spring to work on a possible group costuming project and you are more than welcome to join in. Very Happy

Beth
brushy_creek_blues ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrog wrote:
Woo-hoo! Someone else from my neck of the woods! (I live in Moultrie.) Very Happy

Beth

Yes, someone else from the swamp...err I mean SW Georgia.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. This is all a whole new thing compared to my other hobby so I am kind of taking it slow and easy right now. I signed up on the GA501st Forum as well and they are giving me helpful suggestions as well. An Armor party could be a good thing and hopefully I could attend if things are in order.

Thanks for the reply. Smile
Antar Bolt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also recommend making the X-Wing pilot. It's a fairly easy costume to make if you have basic sewing and craft skills. In addition, you can convert it to a Snowspeeder pilot with the addition of the jacket and swapping out some accessories.

If you choose to go the Endor route my dad and I have lots of extra spray paint we could sell you. The rifle for your Endor can be used for a Hoth trooper as well. Or you could use a Fleet Trooper blaster or Stormtrooper blaster instead.

Or, if you choose the Jedi path it's pretty easy to switch between New Republic and Old Republic, just a matter of changing how you attach your lightsaber to your belt.

Bespin Base Temple Master
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brushy_creek_blues wrote:

Yes, someone else from the swamp...err I mean SW Georgia.

We call it "the Outer Rim"... Wink Of course, to you, Beth, and Brenda, *we* are the Outer Rim. Laughing

Welcome, Joey! Sounds like you're already getting good advice.

In addition to the "official" costume areas, you might also want to look here in the Bespin threads and archives for some of our own experiences. Keep us posted on your thoughts about which costume(s) and we'll try to help steer you in the right direction(s).

Start with something fairly simple but something you think you will enjoy wearing -- that will get you out trooping, having fun, and meeting people -- and then go from there.

We look forward to having you with us! Smile

P.S. I'm always a Jedi, but I love the orange too! I was a Cheshire Cat wearing the snowspeeder gear in the New Year's parade... my first time in the orange. chickpilot

Proverbs 3:5-6

Check out our new Facebook Fan Page! https://www.facebook.com/BespinBaseGA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Bespin Base -> Bespin Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: