Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c4870172f52a28bab004415039eab64bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Corellian Exports ANH shirt review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Corellian Exports ANH shirt review Reply with quote

With my holster and blaster projects complete, now it's on to the soft parts. I've already decided to go with Magnoli for the vest and pants, but I wanted to see if I could save $30 and go with Corellian Exports for the shirt.

The turnaround time was excellent; within two weeks of ordering the shirt, I received it. Here's some pictures...

Entire Shirt:

Collar:

Another Collar shot:

V-Neck:

Left Shoulder:

Right Shoulder:

Wrist:

Bottom:

The overall cut and pattern of the shirt seems to be fairly accurate. I didn't take a picture of the back, however there is a correct looking yoke. The hems look pretty good. However, I do have a few criticisms - the main one being the fabric choice itself.

As you can see in the above pictures, the shirt has a very textured surface with vertical and horizontal lines very much evident. There are also dark brown speckles throughout. I'm not a fabric expert, but it looks to me to be a light canvas fabric. Additionally, it's a bit on the thin side. I would think it should be a cotton blend or perhaps a raw silk in looking at how the fabric from the pictures and screen shots show. Since this is canvas like material, there is no stretch, and I cannot pull the sleeves up any like you see in quite a few promotional pictures of Han.

The other issue I have is where the arms meet the shoulder; they appear awkwardly bunched and not at all a seamless transition like what Han has in the movie.

In summary, the shirt isn't that bad. I like the general cut, and it fits me well. CE only does standard sizes now (S\M\L etc), but they ask for your arm measurement, which they did correctly. However the fabric is what really makes me want to go with another source.

So, what do you think?
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems OK. As for sleeve length, you could probably hem them up a bit to shorten the sleeves at the wrist.

Material looks kind of like a textured muslin or linen of some type....I'm sure the shirt works but I had heard that the material of the CE shirt was a bit thin...

thanks for the review!

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my biggest issues with the majority of the ANH shirts I see... is they are way to white!

Not sure how, who or why, but somewhere down the line people got this idea into their heads that the shirt is white... and its not.

I love this picture because it show the contrast of a white belt to the shirt... revealing its real color... IE, not white.

Dingy, dirty, cream, off white... but I would avoid white at all cost.

Pretty much anytime Han is standing next to somone in white... its obvious.

Even when Leia is a bit dirty her costume is stark white compaired to Hans dingy shirt.

Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an off-white, and I specifically asked for a cream color. However, looking at your screencaps, it might not be cream colored enough. Here's a pic with a piece of standard printer paper on the shirt, to show the contrast:

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see with the shirt you have there... is that is a bit raw... which I think is actually in your favor. Natural fabrics will "age" to your avantage. That rough cotton will wear nicely over time... and its not stark white at least.

It will work... just something I had been wanting to bring up.
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's actually growing on me. It will probably look better once I iron it - I'm not a big fan of the wrinkles. The main issue I have with it though is that the fabric is on the thin side. Being the manly man I am, ( Mr. Green ) you can see chest hair through it. Of course with that deep V, you're gonna see chest hair anyways.

I'm going to get the Magnoli shirt also, so I can do a side by side comparison when it comes in. I've just got to wait a bit before I have enough spare coinage.
theeviltwin ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different materials react differently to different lighting and film effects.

The biggest bane with all Solo costumes is that his costume parts suffer hugely from this. It simply isn't enough to say his shirt is this colour, it's more like his shirt is this colour under these lighting conditions but this colour under these other lighting conditions. I know this as this is exactly how my ANH Solo shirt behaves.

My very first clearance photo's were taken by a pro-photographer friend using pro studio lamps on stands type lighting. I don't know the technical term but I would describe them as using old school hot filament type bulbs. There were no filters involved anywhere and to the eye the light seemed normal but under that type of lighting on the photos my shirt looked very yellow. In contrast, in more recent photos taken with more modern pro lighting "bulbs" and cameras with LED, xenon and "artificial" hard bright flashes the same shirt looks bright white. In the few natural sunlight photos I have the shirt looks very slightly pinky beige - the only time it looks an uninfluenced "off white".

This colour fluctuation is all over ANH but the scene that I think really shows it off best is the "..I'm in it for the money..." "...then that's what you'll receive..." scene where Han and Leia are arguing sat across from each other in the Falcon's cockpit. I can't remember which way round it is but the camera keeps swapping from "behind" them inside the Falcon's corridor looking into space, to "in front" of them from the dash board looking into the cockpit. From one angle (lit with one kind of lighting) Han's shirt looks very yellowish, while it looks bright white shot from the other side (under the effects of different light).

Interestingly when I've been stood next to TKs, Leias and other characters with white in their costumes, their costumes have not been affected at all by the lighting the way my shirt has. TK armour does stay white in conditions where the light greatly affects the shirt. Sp ypu can't judge a colour using a different material as was done with Han's TK belt or with the piece of white paper. It doesn't work with light, colour and materials the way it does with using something of known size to judge scale.

There's also clearly something odd going on with the post colour processing / over-colouring in many scenes in ANH. There are several shots where Ben's robes look almost olive in colour! Another odd discolouration that occurs when Han's shirt looks it's yellowest that I can't stop looking at now ,is the hero's skin tones. While I appreciate they are all very tanned in ANH, there are times when the colour on their faces is so saturated and green tinged that they look very ill indeed!

My last point to look at is Han's pants. These too suffer from colour flux - they range from a royal blue all they way up to black in some scenes. Again this is due to lighting and my opinion is that they are far darker in natural light than most think (more a blue-black / midnight blue) but that is another story.

I have a suspicion that due to the design of the sets in the core bulk of the movie (the second act) and the original design choices for the costumes, if they hadn't way over saturated the colours then the movie would have looked black and white - endless grey and black with harsh artificial lighting death star corridors for backgrounds, black and white stormtroopers with a few all black or grey other baddies, all white Leia, etc. There just wasn't enough reflected light from coloured surfaces, so they tweaked the final colour finish in ways that affect what seem like very subtly different coloured costume parts very differently.

Getting right back to topic and the new shirt, it looks very similar to my Magnoli shirt in colour (but not in build quality or weave - mine is beautifully made and a fine shirt like material). I got mine two years ago and was one of his first - I believe even the first - Solo shirt he produced so it is possible it has changed / refined since then. But I believe Magnoli prioritised colour over material, as while the colour (and it's behavior in relevant conditions) is spot on, the material has zero stretch or elastic pull to it. I don't have the knowledge to identify the material but it has no t-shirt form hugging / stretch potential properties that the original seems to have had a bit of. Like Magnoli, for CE I could well believe it could have been impossible to source a material that looked the right colour(s) but also was made out of the same fiber /weave / stuff. Of the two choices - colour behavior or material, I'd definitely go for the colour.

As to its colour, it seems to look good - just off-white but not distinctly cream unless it is given yellow from the reflected light from it's surrounding or from a yellow-providing light source.

If you have a true white shirt in your ANH Solo costume I wouldn't worry and definitely wouldn't dye it cream or yellow. I would suggest trying a super light beige. I just dyed my pure white Endor duster (in progress) to take the harsh lab coat white out of it before spraying the camouflage colours on and it has a very similar subtle pinky beige to it as my ANH shirt.

Cheers.
Greg

PS. I think Magnoli might send material samples if you really wanted to extra sure about what you were ordering.
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought about this. I have a white shirt for my Solo and I've thought about dying it a bit in tea in order to get that soft faded ivory type color to it...but so far I've been afraid to do it and possibly ruin it!

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charybdis wrote:
I've often thought about this. I have a white shirt for my Solo and I've thought about dying it a bit in tea in order to get that soft faded ivory type color to it...but so far I've been afraid to do it and possibly ruin it!

What kind of fabric is it? If it is a natural fabric you are in luck, they take to tea dyes rather well!

Make sure you wash the shirt at least once before you dye it... if you have fabric like that of your shirt might be worth a test as well to see how long etc... for the tea dye.

How to Tea Dye

Bob
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a rather soft cotton/poly blend, so I don't know if the color would hold. Thanks for the link to the tea dye!!

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dyes generally do really well on natural fabrics, but not so on things like duel blends like a Polyester. There are ways to dye a Poly, just extremely anoying and tedious. I am unfamiliar of any tea dye methods for poly, but if you find one... I would love to learn!

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: