Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=dcf1bba563f5f737ecbe27eef0ca2c2eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Master's Robe Tutorial, by EeanLedgor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLCJedi (Josh)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Bottom Hem Reply with quote

My only comment on this is that the hem of Obi-Wan's robe appears in reference photos to actually be about 3-4 inches instead of the 1 inch given here. Ben
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this tutorial about 100 times, I decided to try my hand at it. I used cotton flannel that I got on sale for dirt cheap. It is only 45" wide so I had to heavily modify the pattern in the tutorial, mainly eliminating the gussets in the back. It has a blend of the Obi Wan ROTS robe as well as his ANH robe.

I am not sure if it would meet formal requirements, but I made it mainly as a functional accessory. It gets cold in my neck of the woods. For about $30 worth of fabric and a few hours of sewing, this was well worth the effort.

Thanks Roger for the great ideas here.

EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did an amazing job! Your robe looks GREAT! I'm glad I could help...and I appreciate your thoughts on modifying the pattern. This is what it's all about, sharing information to make great costumes Very Happy
DarthCadarius ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: My own version of your jedi robe Reply with quote

Hi EeanLedgor.
I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I've seen your tutorial some years ago, and finally a few months ago I decided to make the try.

I contacted a dressmaker because I'm not good with that things Wink

And, as I have a red saber, I decided to make a black robe.

This is the result:

https://plus.google.com/105625949260716517225/posts/WH573pdeHF5

I hope to make the tunic and all the accesories soon.

Best Regards!
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks GREAT!!!
Ky'cilia Solari ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any suggestions on a suitable robe fabric for use in warmer climates?
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ky'cilia Solari wrote:
Do you have any suggestions on a suitable robe fabric for use in warmer climates?

It's all about the drape of the fabric, and not so much the kind of fabric used...and looking good, at the sacrifice of the temperatures. The problem with Jedi is not so much the types of fabric used, but the fact that there are many layers, which gets hot, whether you're wearing a robe or not.

It's my understanding that wool was used in the films. And PLEASE don't let people try to convince you that wool is hot. A light to medium weight woolen wool is WAY cooler than 100% cotton.

So...you can use:

wool (and can find it for under $6/yard)...gonna be warm
cotton...gonna be rather hot, unless you use a gauzy type fabric, which is going to be too thin anyway
linen, looks good but is generally rather expensive, and you have to iron ALL the time...somewhere in between cotton and wool on the hot scale.

polyester? Sure. One of my favorite robes is made from 100% polyester "waffle/diamond" weave shower curtains. Sadly, someone deleted this costume from my profile, so you can't see it anymore. A synthetic will only breathe depending on the weave. If it doesn't breathe, then you might as well wrap yourself in plastic wrap and throw yourself into a microwave.

As far as trooping in "warmer" climates? Well, I'm in Alabama, and the late summer temperatures (at or over 95F) with the humidity (at or over 70%) is unbearable, even when naked. I simply don't wear my Jedi robe during the summer, unless it inside and in air conditioning...and during the summer, usually not even then.
Ky'cilia Solari ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Texas and in the summer I avoid going outside in the daytime if at all possible. I've looked at a few different options and my biggest problem seems to be that none of the fabrics I like come in the right colors. I don't usually order fabric online because I can't see or feel it and the places I usually buy from don't offer a swatch option in their online stores. Thanks for the info!
teraxis ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggling to find the right fabric to use for this... can anyone throw me a link to what might work. working on Ep3 OWK
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OWK-III robe is 100% wool twill.

surface pattern looks like this:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm planning on sewing a robe once I finish my tunic. The thing is I'm only 5ft1 tall. (39/28/41). So I'm hoping I can use less fabric. I can get most full skirted dresses out of 6metres.
I notice no ones mentioned stay stitching the curved neck seam to stop stretching or letting the robe hang do the bias can drop out of the hem. Both are quite useful to stop respectively stretched neckline or wonkey hem. It gets mentioned a lot in my vintage sewing books and thought it would be useful tip.
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my 6'1"ish height, I do well using 8.5 yards of 55-60" wide. I'd imagine that someone shorter could get by with less fabric. A mock up would tell you, for sure.

As for stay stitching. Of course, there's no problem if you stay stick the neck (which is common). I will only say that with the roughly 3/4" seam allowance, and with the "collar" or cover over the seam, I've not had any trouble with the 100% wool having issues with the seams or becoming misshapen. I've had my robe now for 6" years, and have dry cleaned it twice. It gets lots of use. So, stay stitching on this particular robe, for myself, isn't something I've felt was necessary. Again...there's no problem for folks who want to do it Wink
jcrab3t ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Mystic Merchant online to get my Jedi Robe. Patricia over there is really helpful, and the quality of their robes is AMAZING! They're pretty quick too.

I recommend this if you don't want to mess with sewing things yourself.

Before I bought one there, I compared the price of material and an estimate of time to create it. I got a Jedi robe for about 100 bucks from Mystic Merchant - which is almost the same as the 9 yds of material itself.

Hope this helps! (However, I do like this tutorial...)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so,,,can the sleeves be shortened for the old ben style of robe as in ANH? i dont see any tucks on that one.
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi wannabee wrote:
so,,,can the sleeves be shortened for the old ben style of robe as in ANH? i dont see any tucks on that one.

Oh yes, you can mod that. Also, I'd say the hood is too full, compared to Old Ben (ANH), and there's no "point" on the hood. You can use this robe pattern as a base. But the mods needed to get it to an Old Ben robe would make me do a mock up before cutting the real fabric. For robe mock ups, I like using flannel sheets. A king size set is roughly $25 from Walmart. Not bad on cost. Plus, when done it'll make a great bath robe for winter.

As for mystic merchant robes? Yes, they are good if you dont want to make your own. My first Jedi robe was from them. I enjoyed it...until I made the one in this tutorial. IMO...you can't beat a properly designed wool Jedi robe 😁
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: