About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c5b8af033b5e3b3f76c49bb5fec20bbeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

generic female wookiee
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebel-Winter ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey everyone just wanted to pop in and let you know that I haven't completely abandoned this costume, its just been a while since I could work on it.

with that said I do have an update on the wookiee cub.

as you can see in the picture I have the hair, the mesh, and I have finished the hands. the creepy staring head is a sculpting base for making baby dolls from polymer clay, that is what I will be using for the head.
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your picture reminded me of a weird story. I was visiting friends in Los Angeles and we parked in a downtown parking lot at night and took the elevator down. When the door opened, a homeless looking man, wearing a toga and a rope belt with baby doll heads on it was standing outside the doors.

He pulled off one of the heads and thew it into the back of the elevator like a grenade.

True story. We just laughed and walked off. Has never made any sense, but there's the connection. BABY DOLL HEAD MAN
Rebel-Winter ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing wow Rivethead that's a rather strange story. Razz

so the hair/fur is pretty much the next step, so I've been looking into starting but has anyone done this or know of a tutorial I could use to make a hackle and hair holding card?
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used a 1 inch thick board and put 3 inch spikes in it one inch apart about 8 rows for my hackle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel-Winter wrote:
so the hair/fur is pretty much the next step, so I've been looking into starting but has anyone done this or know of a tutorial I could use to make a hackle and hair holding card?

I'm pretty happy with my hackle that I made. Basically I used 3/4" MDF wood and I cut a strip the width of my kitchen island (by like 4" wide). Then I cut another strip that I used for the actual nails. I did this so I could clamp it to my island:

On the top piece I basically drew horizontal lines 1/2" wide. Then on each line I made a tick mark (little line) at every half inch. Then on each alternating line I offset by half inch:

I used 16D 3-1/2" nails. You can get a big box of them at home depot. Then basically I got a drill bit the SAME size as the nail. I then drilled at each "cross mark". I cheated because I have a drill press, but it can be done with a drill, just make sure you go STRAIGHT down, if you don't, your nail will be crooked. After the drilling is all done, i just fill it with nails. You can also duct tape them in so when you flip them over they wont fall out. They stay put because you sandwich them between the bottom board. That black thing sandwiched between is just a 1/16" piece of craft foam to help hold the nails tighter. The boards are just screwed together.

As for the drawing card/mat (holding mat). My first prototype WORKS, but I'm going to revise it in the near future:

I just basically used 9/16" staples, the ones you use in a heavy duty arrow stapler and a plastic parking sign. I cut the sign in half then I started stapling away. I actually stapled into a 1" piece of styrofoam. When I was done I pulled the styrofoam off and I was left with a big piece of plastic with A LOT of staples in it. I didn't measure anything, I just tried to put as many staples in as I could. Next time I'm going to try 1/4 craft foam, it may work better. I've heard others using leather. Like I said, it isn't pretty, but it works:

Sorry for the "artistic" photos. I had my fixed 50mm lens on and my other gear wasn't nearby. In the future I plan to post a more comprehensive guide to my hackle. But this should give you the jist of it.

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I made my leather drawing card much the same way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: