About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7313bb31dc330d03b8563fee572cbf63Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

generic female wookiee
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebel-Winter ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: generic female wookiee Reply with quote

ok so I've been hanging around reading the wookiee building threads and I came across Fruitbats thread about doing a female wookiee, and i went "Hey that sounds cool! I wan't to do one!" but before I start I have some questions.

1. Can I do a female wookiee?
2. would a hight around 6' 6" be acceptable rather then the full 7'?
3. if I made the body structure something like this could it still be approved?

any help would be appreciated. thanks
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion, which may mean little in this case, is I think in concept it looks cool. However the clothing makes me wonder if it would be approvable? It has been established that clothing on wookies is a no no. I was just recently playing KOTOR and Zalbar was freaking out over a joke about wearing clothes.

There are some sketches of wookies wearing clothes like the sketch of the jedi wookie when they were doing some ideas for the prequels. There is also Mala from the holiday special when she wears an apron.

The real issue at hand I think, is what I think most people are going for, is the feminine form. Speaking plainly the idea of getting breast to show up in a wookie suit like they would in art could be incredibly challenging. The way that hair falls, lays and drapes, I think it would not really come out the way the art depicts.

Looking at the picture above it almost looks like they tried to give Malla a feminine chest. However the hair just killed the shape they may have tried to go with. If you have a great idea on how to do this I for one am excited to see it.

Its something that has been discussed both here and in a few circles around me. But how to achieve it and it look right is the trickiest part. Good luck on this if you do attempt it, and I will watch with great intrest.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The female wookiee would be able to be approved as a generic wookiee or wookiee warrior. If you make the suit tight enough and flair it out at the right spots a shapely wookiee is possible. Draping cloth or a sash would be ok considering its not being a specific character. I would say go for it! It would love to review it for approval. There are a lot of wookiees approved with a lot of variations to height, hair color, mask, etc.....

Chewy Layers snow to print
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, go for it!
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely go for it. Perhaps in the clothing areas you could omit or only sparsely put in hair to be able to show a more feminine form.
Rebel-Winter ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Thank you all for the great responses! and so quickly.

one thing that I didn't make clear and I think has caused some confusion is that the picture I posted is NOT the costume I intend to make clothing wise. I intend to follow it for the body of the costume, and we'll see if clothing of any kind is added afterwards.

again I am very sorry I didn't make that clearer sooner, thank you all for your wonderful responses and I will keep you all up dated as I make progress.
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed

Last edited by Chewie () on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a very cool build! I hope this works out. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Very Happy
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea. Hmm, now I am thinking I want to make a female wookiee. hehe
Rebel-Winter ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys!! Sorry I haven't posted an update in a while, to summarize whats been happening with the wookiee + not much.

I did decided to add a wookiee cub to the costume though, and seeing how the cub would be a much smaller project I decided to try to finish him by PCC 2012. so yeah well see how that works out.

and I decide that I would need to sculpt some parts to get the highest possible accuracy (hands, feet, and head) with a cloth body and latch hook fur over that the final cub should be about 24-26 inch long. as of this post I have one hand completed.

I was also looking into fur and was wondering what you guys would suggest.

Thanks Rebel-Winter.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel-Winter wrote:
I was also looking into fur and was wondering what you guys would suggest.

Since you mentioned latch hooking, for the hair I would go with kanekalon extensions. It's what most of us are using. Available at any beauty supply shop.
Rebel-Winter ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well I'm looking in to Kanekalon KK Jumbo Braid Hair from Ikickshins.com, now I'm wondering would 2 packs of hair be enough to cover a 24-26 inch wookiee?

Thanks again hopefully I'll get some production photos to show you guys soon.
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not.
I don't know that you would need a ton more than that, but 2 sounds a little light to me. Most of us use somewhere between 40-60 packs on a full size Wookiee.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're also going to want to get at least 3 or 4 different colors and do a little mixing with a hackle.

The stuff is pretty cheap. Only 2 or 3 bucks per bag. Buy 10-20 bucks worth to start off with. If you find you need more, get some. No big deal.

For something this small I wouldn't order online; just use Google maps to find some local beauty supply shops and see what they have.
Roheryn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also found this picture of a female wookiee, but again, with cloth. I personally like it a lot, to me it is the one big difference between male and female. But for the record, it would be approved? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: