About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=74bd87562039fe62675c967740aca3f4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kidz First Hospital Troop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ember ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Kidz First Hospital Troop Reply with quote

Very short notice, but this could very well be the beginning of more frequent Hospital visits in Auckland Smile

Today I got in touch with one of the organisers for the Kidz First Christmas Party, about a party they are having next week at the hospital. Kidz First is a large section of Middlemore hospital designed specifically for children. Hospital visits are one of the main things I've wanted to get more involved in as a Legion member, and is something very close to the core values of what it means to be a Legion member.

Basically there will be an on-site Christmas party for the children at the hospital next Monday, and the party organisers would love for us to be there.
A bit of planning still needs to be done, but seeing as this is such short notice I though it best to get what information we have out there, to see who can be available.

Date: Monday 12th December

RSVP Date: Friday morning, 9th December (so there is time for passes to be printed)

Venue Address: Middlemore Hospital, Auckland

Time: 2-3pm, arrival at 1pm to get ready.

Mission: Mingling with children and their families in an outdoor setting, having photos taken.

Costume Standard?: Open, but full standards must be met.

Blasters: Yes

501st Legion: Yes

Children: No

Detail: The current plan is that there will be an outdoor area set out for the children to have their party in. We will be interacting with the children, having photos taken with them,

Closest Carpark: At Venue. Passes are being sorted

Changing Facilities: Entertainers changing area

Other: If you have had the flu or a cold, you must have been clear of all symptoms for at least a week, seeing as some of the children may have immune deficiencies. Likewise, costume components and props that may be in contact with children, ie. gloves/ lightsabers, must be washed and/or wiped down and free of bacteria.

Attendance/Costume list:

RL:

Ember - ANH Leia

501st:

Minders/ Spare Costumers

Unconfirmed
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immune suppression may be very common, especially for any child receiving chemo or steroids (experience with both, nasty stuff, hate to think of kids dealing with it) so I'd suggest the same for anyone who is around someone who is sick- you may be a carrier in fact their hand out also talks about this:
http://www.healthpoint.co.nz/download,40478.do
(last page under Visiting)

Hayley could you please confirm with them their procedures for a bacterial infection- colds and flus and most other infections are viral so their criteria may be different. General doctor advice is that 24-48 hours after start of antibiotic treatment is when you are no longer contagious and I am now at 60 hours. Bacterial tonsilitis shouldn't be contagious by air or skin contact, but I'd rather know specifically what Kidz First think about it.

Is this the event supported by the Freemasons? My Grandparents were members Smile Pretty sure they bequeathed a very large lottery win to them in the 60s. Nice to think that some of that has helped causes like this in the past Smile
Ember ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can find out what their policy is regarding bacterial infections, and tonsilitis specifically Smile

My contact is one of the Freemason Vice Chancellors, he's done a lot of work with the Hospital in the past, and it's likely he'll help us with future troops there in the future Smile

Shall I put you down as 'unconfirmed'?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please Smile I've now had four full days of antibiotics Smile

Excellent Smile Right things to disinfect before going...

With open costume standards does that include non Star Wars? I've lost a week on Shaak Ti due to my materials going off before I could use there Wink I have a back up and can work like a flea over the weekend given so much of the rest is done. And that way I can wash the fabrics together and wipe the headpieces with soap and water than then blitz everything with Oust!
Ember ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 'open' I mean formal/informal Star Wars costumes that meet standards, and helpers who can wear spare approved costumes. Maybe I should put that in next time Razz
They're expecting SW costumers, so we couldn't show up as anything else!

I haven't heard back about the bacterial infections yet.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed about hearing back Smile But if you don't hear back until Monday morning that should still give me time to get there.

Otherwise I can save strength for SCCP in Auckland Smile
Ember ()

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no word back, but I'm thinking about pulling the plug on this one.

Being such short notice, on a weekday, at a very busy time of the year, and with little interest shown so far, it's most likely that there would just be the two of us there. None of the 501st can make it, and with such small numbers I can't justify travelling the long distance to the venue for a 1hr troop Neutral

Sorry to say it, but it looks like I'll call this off. The hospital has my contact details so we will still work with them in future Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still like to try, if you haven't cancelled already do you mind if I promote this? I have my personal lj, tumblr and can use the Power of the Armageddon Cosplay blog too. Star Wars only but I'm sure we could get some others involved. And play on heart strings to do so.

I have my Mothma almost finished for one and with casting finally working out today I can get Shaak Ti ready (sans leather though that is going nicely) or can use the robes as a generic Jedi.

It's be a pity to lose this one Sad And it is handily on a train track..
Ember ()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, this is the first I've been able to get online since Saturday Sad

Right from the start they knew things could be sketchy for us. They're not expecting us, and were very understanding of the situation with short notice and such, but will be in touch with plenty of notice next year Smile

I wouldn't be comfortable with pulling in people unaffiliated with the Legion without first having a chance to talk to them about protocol and expectations/ review the quality of their costumes beforehand. Being a Hospital event we need to make sure the Legion is represented in the best way possible (I made quite a point of how all our costumes are of high standards)

If some of the cosplayers you're in contact with are interested in helping out with future events and working towards gaining Legion membership, they are more than welcome to sign up here and get involved Smile Perhaps I could make a post on the CNZ boards if you're okay with that?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely Smile And if you mention Kristy and I are members that'll help as well Smile I'll reply to any post you start Smile

The cosplayers who have been able to attend, and will attend SCCP are really lovely Smile There are many more who haven't been able to attend but who might be able to Smile

And of course most of the regular competitors are used to reading and absorbing rules for safety and health Wink

I suspect it will be best under Other NZ Events as a National group Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: