About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aadcc33a0bc5b5cfeb12578249cfcfadMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mirax Question... just out of morbid curiosity
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirax Terrik (“The Phantom Affair” by Michael Stackpole, Star Wars Customizable Card Game)
Required Items:
    1. Close-fitting tan pants with black stripes on the outside of the legs
    2. Calf-high black boots
    3. White long-sleeved plain t-shirt
    4. Black flight jacket with fleece collar, sleeve lacing and graphic design on back
    5. Belt with several pouches
    6. Neck to shoulder length black hair or wig
Formal Requirements:
You must have at least two of the following items to be accepted:
    1. Light Blue driving gloves
    2. Mirax’s helmet with goggles
    3. Code Cylinders
    4. Blaster Pistol (no carbines or rifles) and holster on belt
Optional Items:
    1. Side-zip double collar
    2. Sleeve patch

Okay, so we can iron this out before submitting it to committee (and yes, you are a committee), how does this look for the standards?

I removed the holster from Required and included it with the blaster pistol in Formal. I included in the requirements section the neck to shoulder length black hair or wig to complete the look. I added goggles to the helmet in Formal (just for clarification). I replaced DL-44 in Formal to Blaster Pistol and made the specification of no carbines or rifles. Finally, to bring things up to a little more uniformity, I changed the Formal requirements from one piece to two. In the Optionals that I came up with, I removed the helmet part since it was already in Formal.

Any comments, concerns, or criticisms?

Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:

Formal Requirements:
    3. Code Cylinders
Optional Items:
    2. Sleeve patch

Being that there are so many references showing her without the helmet, gloves, blaster pistol and code cylindars(not sure I have seen a pic with the code cylinders TBH)... how is adding them to the forum list right? If they are not part of the costume, then they should be options... not formal, even if it's pick 2 for formal.

That would be like adding Hans gloves, his tools, his welder goggles, his credits he tosses at beggining of ANH etc... to the formal list.

The formal requirments list to choose from should be for items that are a major part of the costume that are a form of compromise to a costumer who cannot meet the highest of standards, by obtaining all of them.

Example:

Formal Requirements: (Must have 3 to be formal)

1. Pintuck down the center front of each pant leg
2. Riding seam around the seat and down the back of each pant leg.
3. Embroidered bloodstripes. (about 1 inch wide by 1/4 inch high, with only 1/8 of an inch of space between each embroidered section)
4. No visible zipper on the boots.

Optional Items:

1. two-tone brown driving gloves.

Silvara (Anna Malinova)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two pictures with Mirax having a blue simple code cylinders in the pocket on her left sleeve:

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So some show her with it, some don't... does it look like the ones that show a patch have it?

Bob
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all a matter of references. when a new applicant submits an EU costume which has never been done before, the applicant must provide 3 references, along with a rough set of standards based on those references. if there's enough reference material to support the proposed standards.. then they get adopted as the new standards for that EU costume. and the applicant is judged by his own standards.

when another applicant comes along with another version of the same costume, which doesn't quite meet up with the existing standards for that character..
...then they must provide enough references to support the variance. and this gets adopted into the standards.

(the standards are a sort of 'work in progress' -- constantly evolving -- especially for EU characters).

I'm seeing a lot of reference material to support the side-zip collar, which I had never seen before. I think this should be added to the standards.

the code cylinders would have to be optional items, like Han's 2-tone leather gloves.
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
Mirax Terrik (“The Phantom Affair” by Michael Stackpole, Star Wars Customizable Card Game)
Required Items:
    1. Close-fitting tan pants with black stripes on the outside of the legs
    2. Calf-high black boots
    3. White long-sleeved plain t-shirt
    4. Black flight jacket with fleece collar, sleeve lacing and graphic design on back
    5. Belt with several pouches
    6. Neck to shoulder length black hair or wig
Formal Requirements:
    3. Code Cylinders
Optional Items:
    2. Sleeve patch

Okay, so we can iron this out before submitting it to committee (and yes, you are a committee), how does this look for the standards?

I removed the holster from Required and included it with the blaster pistol in Formal. I included in the requirements section the neck to shoulder length black hair or wig to complete the look. I added goggles to the helmet in Formal (just for clarification). I replaced DL-44 in Formal to Blaster Pistol and made the specification of no carbines or rifles. Finally, to bring things up to a little more uniformity, I changed the Formal requirements from one piece to two. In the Optionals that I came up with, I removed the helmet part since it was already in Formal.

Any comments, concerns, or criticisms?

I would call it a "sherpa" collar Wink

-====-

when this is all ironed out I will post it for you in the 'costume standards committee' forum.

I've already got a few threads in progress listing needed changes to some of the Han standards.

(minor things like: clear goggles on hoth, instead of amber goggles like Luke)

these will all get implemented when the 'rejudging' cycle is complete,
and the ban on changes is lifted. (including your mirax changes)
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Volund Starfire wrote:

Formal Requirements:
    3. Code Cylinders
Optional Items:
    2. Sleeve patch

Being that there are so many references showing her without the helmet, gloves, blaster pistol and code cylindars(not sure I have seen a pic with the code cylinders TBH)... how is adding them to the forum list right? If they are not part of the costume, then they should be options... not formal, even if it's pick 2 for formal.

So, is the costume "good enough" without the optional items being required at all?

My opinion here (admittedly as an outsider or Has been lol) is that the main requirements for Mirax as posted does capture the basics of the costume. Although the costume gets better with the Options (the more the better of course) I don't think they would be needed to meet Formal requirements.

the Blaster and holster aren't always seen, neither are the gloves nor the code cylinders (with I wouldn't specify as blue, since I'm betting that is artistic license on silver)

What do you people think?

Blackstar Squadron
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the part of many costuming groups that I usually have issues with. Personally I view the term of "Formal to mean as screen accurate as possible (like you walked off the set). However as I have been told, that is just not a realistic possibility for most costumers due to ability or cost to require "Everything" that goes into some of these costumes.

So we compromise with the costumers by having them get the "key" items correct, and giving options to the costume or at least have them get 2 out of 3 of the main components. I personally do not agree with it, but it is what it is.

So yeah... as long as you have 3 references that show the costume without a blaster... or whatever it may be... it's legit.

Again, I personally wish more people asked what it takes to get a costume right... not what are the minimum standards, but I digress.

Bob Kohn
MEEKOtheBUZZSAW ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for getting the costume right and the standards that are proposed look reasonable to me.

I'm happy to see this dicussion as it has made me re-direct and add detail with this version of the costume. It makes me feel better when posted responce are more than a breif responce; although I know everyone is busy. Thanks for clearing up my question and discussing several adjustments and improvements to the requirements. Thanks to everyone and I should be completing this version of Mirax soon for a forum viewing, and then submission for the judge's analysis!

Also thanks for bearing with me as I don't post on forums very well. Smile
Hoth Leia-10% Bespin Leia-0% Bespin Escape Leia-0% Endor Assault Leia-0%
Shaak Ti-0% Sar Labooda-0% Nomi Sunrider-0% SiLaan Wezz-0% TOR Jedi Armor-0%
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps: check out db94 Mirax Terrik reference page Wink

http://db94.x10.bz/?p=509

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: