Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aff8fcc410b0bfa593303352a607b2f8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Here we go with Chewie insanity!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Making some real good progress. As you know we are close to the same stage on the mask, I actually ordered my fiberglassing supplies last week, however probably wont finish my sculpt for another week or two.
jweger77 wrote:
Mold release applied liberally...we'll see how well it comes out tomorrow morning!

Couple questions: Did you do any rattle can clear coat spray before applying the mold release? What type of mold release did you use, the basic spray PVA? Or a wax? Or both? Etc..

One last question: did you decide to go the traditional route of making an "ecoflex" FULL mask? Or are you going to try Marty's version of only making a mouth and nose?

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
jweger77 ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be going the full ecoflex mask route. That way if I need/want to change the skin/hair it would be easier down the road. For release I picked up some candle making release in an aerosol can from Hobby lobby. I demolded the sculpt this morning. The release worked perfectly. toughest part was taking out my lifecast..had to dig out a lot of clay to get that out. Once that was out i just pulled the sides away from the edges of the mold and it came right out. The only damage to the sculpt was the undercut areas in the nostrils. Release was excellent..there's zero clay stuck to the fiberglass! The bondo/resin mix worked perfectly as a gelcoat as well.

I'll post some photos later.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sculpt after demold, more damage done after moving it home

Fiberglass negative. Came out great!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jweger77 wrote:
I'll be going the full ecoflex mask route. That way if I need/want to change the skin/hair it would be easier down the road.

I hear you, I wanted a universal underskull that I could used for multiple wookiees. It's just the fear of having never punched hair had me looking for other alternatives. But I'll just probably bite the bullet and take on a full "hair punched mask".

jweger77 wrote:
For release I picked up some candle making release in an aerosol can from Hobby lobby. I demolded the sculpt this morning. The release worked perfectly.

Sounds good! I just googled "candle making release" and Mann Ease Release 200 came up. Good news is I already have a full can of it!

I know a lot of folks here have already gone through this process, some MULTIPLE times, but it's good to find another wookiee builder at the same stage as me. Mostly because we are coming up with the same questions in almost real time. However I'm glad you are my "miner's canary". If I see signs of distress in you, I know to run for the hills LOL!

jweger77 ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be in great shape with that release then. I took a bit of a gamble on mine. But I thought that you could almost get away without using any. Especially since I used oil based clay.

I post up some more pics tomorrow. Layer of clay into the mold and the back of it is glassed up now. Time for bed!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy last 24 hrs with the project. Last night i laid in a 1/4" layer of clay in thr negative fiberglass mold to create the void for the ecoflex Next I fiberglassed the back of the skin mold.

This morning I cleaned up the fiberglass on both, drilled out for bolts, added vent holes, and picked up an oil pump to used to inject the ecoflex into the mold.

Then came time to run a part. Mixed up the ecoflex with some black tint, added to the injection gun and filled the mold, closing off each vent hole as they started to weep.

Then came the worst part; waiting the 4 hrs for the ecoflex to cure. I'm very pleased with the outcome!

Up next, painting the skin around the mouth, darkening up the nose...oh yeah..the underskull!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are really knocking out these steps in your wookiee build! I'm torn, half of me is super jealous on how fast you are tearing through this, but the other half is excited that I'm not too far behind and this is really giving me incentive!

jweger77 wrote:
Then came time to run a part. Mixed up the ecoflex with some black tint, added to the injection gun and filled the mold, closing off each vent hole as they started to weep.

A lot of questions here ^^^:

1) I know you need holes around the outer edge, but are those hole near the eyes? And possibly the nose?
2) Are you using like a Harbor Freight Oil Suction Gun to inject?
3) I see you are using the trial/pint size of the eco-flex, how much did you end up using of it? All? Half? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

jweger77 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I know you need holes around the outer edge, but are those hole near the eyes? And possibly the nose?
Yes, i put the holes around the top edge, and ones in each eye and the nose. Though after seeing how thin the ecoflex is when I injected it..i don't think the vents in the nose/eyes are necessary.

2) Are you using like a Harbor Freight Oil Suction Gun to inject?
That's the one

3) I see you are using the trial/pint size of the eco-flex, how much did you end up using of it? All? Half? Etc.
I ended up using about 24 ounces on ecoflex. Best way to figure out how much you need for yours is to keep all of the clay you remove from the mold (the stuff you laid in to create the skin thickness) and place into your graduated mixing cup and see how much volume it took up. Or before you drill all of the vent holes...fill your injection mold with water and see how much it takes to fill. Mix up extra for waste and if you've got a couple of small things to mold, set those molds up and use your extra ecoflex for them. I needed to mold some knobs for my bowcaster build so I used the stuff there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started out this morning to create the underskull. So, I placed the ecoflex skin back into the negative mold of it. The took my lifecast bust, filled in the undercuts (under nose, lips, eyelids, etc with clay) and placed the lifecast in the mold on top of the ecoflex taking care to line up the eyes and nose. And final part of prep, wrapped the face up in cling wrap to eliminate the myriad of other small undercuts around the bust.

Then I poured in the expanding foam into the void and kept pressure on the lifecast to keep it from shifting.

After allowing the foam to cure until it was hard, yet a touched flexible I removed the mold, skin and foam as a single unit from the bust. I pulled it off early so that it still had a bit of flex to it.

Rear of the mask/underskull

Skin peeled up to show the underskull underneath.

Finished underskull and skin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the jaw into the underskull this afternoon. Quickly taped up the jaw and glued in a rubber band just to test it out! Spent more time thinking about where to cut the jaw than actually doing it. Looks like my placement is okay!

At the end of the video is a quick Chewie sound played through the beginnings of the sound system for him. More to come on that at another time!
[URL="http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/jweger77/Chewbacca%20Mask%20Build/?action=view&current=4A8CAA51-3E1C-4052-AC71-25332E186EFE-4206-000003077C587849.mp4"]
http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/jweger77/Chewbacca%20Mask%20Build/?action=view&current=4A8CAA51-3E1C-4052-AC71-25332E186EFE-4206-000003077C587849.mp4[/URL]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my crown punch needles today. Bought them com an eBay seller for $11. Much better than $40 from the fx shops on line. Also picked up a bunch of hardware to properly articulate the underskull. So time to get to it!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jweger77 wrote:
Got my crown punch needles today. Bought them com an eBay seller for $11. Much better than $40 from the fx shops on line. Also picked up a bunch of hardware to properly articulate the underskull. So time to get to it!

I'm really liking your build thread! I didn't know that we would need springs to keep the jaw closed, thought the ecoflex would handle that. It's good to know. Take a couple close ups of your hardware installation (bolts, springs, pivot points). I'm curious to see how you lay it out.

reela (Jeffrey Corbello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just milling around the boards and found this thread.
Your Chewie looks awesome so far. Keep up the good work.
jweger77 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff! Much appreciated! Here's a vid of the face in motion(sans snarl! How does my eye depth look?

http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/jweger77/Chewbacca%20Mask%20Build/?action=view&current=BB0EBFE2-2910-4D69-B605-6D1B5E532613-5633-000003D2558C9CC2.mp4

Here's the roughed in hardware.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be happy with the eye placement. I am impressed. Your mouth has some great movement, and your looking real good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: