About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e293fcd1a7abe32c84e41a9926beb309Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Here we go with Chewie insanity!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jweger77 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Here we go with Chewie insanity! Reply with quote

Hello all! My name is Jon and I'm a 501st Vader. I've decided that I need a costume that I can wear to any event. Having 5-6 active Vaders in the Midwest Garrison leaves me out of many great trooping possibilities. So, with Bob being the only Chewie around here and being 6'8" myself, my costume options are limited and why not be a chewie rock star?

Just ordered the extensions tonight and I'm at work on my lifts (going for 8-9 inches) to bring me somewhere around 7'7" or 7'8". Also picked up the same black mesh sold online at joanns yesterday.

After Vader, I think this will be a ton of fun. A lot less sewing for certain, but a lot more artistic of a project. With tons more sculpting, etc. I'm excited to get rolling! Thanks for the wealth of knowledge assembled here!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!!!!!!
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jon, looking forward to your progress. Let the madness begin mmwwahhhahahah.
jweger77 ()

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some beginnings....

Started a bit on the feet. Very rough so far, feet give about 7" of lift and that puts me at 7'3".

First shipment of hair. #44 on the way soon.

Latch hooking begun. If only I could convince my wife or daughter to hand me ready small clumps of hair!
[/img]
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,
Let me speak from experience on this...
I trooped almost 100 events as Vader and probably almost 100 as Chewie and it's not even close!! Chewie is THE rock star!!!!!! Vader has to always be "Vadery" (is that a word??). Chewie gets to play around, dance with the kids, hug the pretty girls - and all that kind of stuff.

Let me explain it this way.....
I wore both Vader and Chewie at different times at this past Dragon Con and found a very interesting trend.
When I was in Vader, at least 3/4 of the pictures that I took were pictures people wanted OF me.
When I was in Chewie, well over 3/4 of the pictures were ones people wanted WITH me.

Best of luck with the build. As Peter and Angie Mayhew told me when they were at Motor City Comic Con this past May, a Chewie costume is truly a labor of love, but it is SO worth it!!!!

If you need any advice, you know where to find us!!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be nice to see another wookiee in the area!

Keep us updated!

Bob
JawaJones (Jennifer Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pics, I am in absolute awe of the time you guys put in to those wookie costumes, they are amazing. Keep up the good work I look forward to seeing the progress Laughing

Jennifer
jweger77 ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Everyone has done such a great job of documenting things I find very few things to ask about that haven't been covered already. Bob I'm definitely hoping to see your chewie at a con or other event this year. Chris, Vader is definitely a star for sure. I can't imagine the reaction to Chewie. You don't hardly ever see that. I'm looking forward to something a little cooler to wear now and then. People think I'm nuts when I say that. I just tell them they're welcome to put on Vader when it's 85 outside!

Built a hackle today and am plaing around with it. Trying to blend in some 6 and a tiny bit of 44 into the 27 to break it up just a touch. It certainly gives a little more depth and makes it look more authentic/lived in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where'd you find the black mesh? Looking for some for a while and can't find it
jweger77 ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the mesh at the local Joann fabrics near me. There are some online sellers as well that are documented in other threads...just do a search or I'm sure someone else will chime in with the correct site..
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered mine just the other day from Collins Cottage http://www.collinscottage.com/utilitya.htm
That's the site that was recommended by a lot of the folks on here and the price was pretty decent, 7 yards shipped for around $45. Good luck with your build, glad I'm not alone in just starting a Wookiee! Smile
jweger77 ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress of latch hooking. Getting close to halfway on the front of the shirt. I'm officially two bags in now and having fun. Going to con my wife into wrapping me up in duct tape tomorrow to do a torso mannequin. Getting to the point where latch hooking on the table is just annoying me.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jweger77 wrote:

Progress of latch hooking. Getting close to halfway on the front of the shirt. I'm officially two bags in now and having fun. Going to con my wife into wrapping me up in duct tape tomorrow to do a torso mannequin. Getting to the point where latch hooking on the table is just annoying me.

You will find its much easier to latch hook when the suit is on a mannequin. Good luck and keep motivated....

Chewy Layers snow to print
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small suggestion!

Try pulling the knots downwards as you tie them, they seem to be sticking out slightly, the hair should laying flat on the mesh. Will make your suit look thinner in the long run.
jweger77 ()

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duct tape mannequin torso and arms done. Need to build the frame for it and fill with expandable foam/styrofoam. Ill take some better natural light photos after some more progress. I may have to alter the mesh suit a bit. Time to play with a basic undersuit to pad the shoulders and chest slightly.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Keep them coming!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: