Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8003c3c3e61c523c541f3336d7c67d6aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme's Picnic Dress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ember ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Padme's Picnic Dress Reply with quote

So a few days ago something arrived in the post which I have been searching for for absolutely years - shawl fabric for Padme's Picnic dress Smile

This is my dream Padme costume, and the shawl fabric was really the only thing preventing me from making a start!
Was scouring eBay last week when what should appear - the elusive curtain fabric with the accurate 3-cluster flowers! (there is a fabric with 4-cluster flowers which can be just as tricky to find, but so happy I found the more accurate one Smile) I believe this may be the Wal-mart curtain. The only difference between this fabric and the movie fabric is that the clusters are a touch more spread out on the curtain. I may embroider on extra clusters or transfer clusters from offcuts onto the shawl to fix this, we'll see.

A couple of years ago I found some scarves with the embroidered vines and roses but I was never happy with them because each scarf wasn't wide enough to get a complete shawl out of. I really didn't want to stitch the 2 scarves together because that would have left seam lines. Comparing the embroidery with the curtain fabric, the roses on the scarves are a fair bit larger than those on the curtain, as you can see here (curtain=left, scarf= right):

I think you can still get the scarves...
*End excited shawl fabric rant*

I already have a number of other bits and pieces for the costume - petal-shaped sequins, undyed silk chiffon, fabric dyes and embroidery yarns, and have ordered ribbons for the sleeves and headband. I'm just trying to track down a good fabric for the corset! Who knew undyed crushed silk could be so hard to find? Razz
Due to the heavy amount of embroidery this costume has this is most definitely not going to be rushed. I currently intend to do all embroidering by hand (wouldn't trust a machine near the fabric!), my target finish time for this costume is for the Episode 2 3D release in Feb 2013.

I'm so happy now that things can finally move forward with this costume! Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember the shawl/curtain discussions on TFN years back Smile I never picked up any of the supplies back then due to the exchange rate. Always the way Wink

Do you have access to a chain stitch machine for the skirt? I picked up an adorable little toy sewing machine that does a lovely chain stitch (the chain is on the reverse) it's a little slow but much faster than handsewing chain stitches. A full machine isn't that expensive it can just be a bit hit and miss as to the condition of the machine.
With the right soluble stabiliser even the finest fabric can be machined Smile
Ember ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a chain stitch machine (well, my brother has a second hand one that needs a lot of repair work). I've been practicing doing the stitching by hand on some scrap fabric using some of the sequins. It's quite an easy stitch to do, then I patterned the skirt and realised just how much fabric there is to cover Confused Ah well, I'm not counting on this being a quick costume! Razz

I've patterned the shawl, skirt, and am working out the sleeves for the blouse. Fabric swatches for the corset have been ordered Smile

Silk chiffon was pre-washed today, wow - that shrunk a fair bit! The crinkle probably had a fair bit to do with it - the crinkles seem more pronounced than before it was washed. May hang the fabric with some small weights to try and stretch it back out a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So dampening out the silk chiffon and having it weighted as it dries added a number of inches back on, thank goodness!

I've been hunting out corset fabric for a while now, and stumbled upon the perfect golden fabric that doesn't need dyeing! I ordered swatches of the fabric in gold, white, and off-white so I could dye the non-gold swatches if the gold was the wrong shade, but the gold is perfect, and is one less thing for me to worry about dyeing Smile

Here's the swatch (Crushed Dupion)

So happy with it, but it's very delicate and will need a lot of stabilisers before it can be embroidered! It'll also be a little while before I can afford to order the *rather expensive* fabric seeing as it's pure silk Confused

I'm quite happy with the blouse pattern, and will make a mock-up with it over the next few days.

I have the headband ribbon, it's perfect! I thought it may be too bright, but it's a nice khaki-olive green with gold edging that matches the screen-used ribbon very nicely Smile

Crystals for the brooch arrived, there are enough little ones for at least 20 brooches! Also got a small number of 'centrepiece' crystals.
Figured I'm spending all this time effort and money with silks and embroidery on this costume that it would be a crime to use acrylic rhinestones on it. Decided to go for Swarovski crystals. More costly, but definitely worth it in the end Smile

I don't like how the screen-used brooch has assymmetrical colours. I may match it, or I may pick a colour scheme that complements the costume's colours (roses, golds and greens) and has symmetry to it. Or, I may do both so I have an accurate one and a symmetrical one Razz

Am also tossing up between a brooch-pin or rare-earth magnets to fasten the brooch to the shawl. Don't want to go damaging the shawl with pins, and magnets will have the brooch right up against the fabric. The shawl is supported by the shoulder straps, so the fastening will just be holding the ends together rather than supporting the weight of the shawl. At this point I'm leaning towards using magnets.

In any case, I'll have 3 centre-piece crystals left over, so will be able to easily make up an extra 3 brooches when I've finished my ones, if anyone's interested Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have been thinking about the ribbons for the blouse, and think that dyeing them myself will be far cheaper than tracking down the yli silk ribbon many Picnic ladies have been using, which seems to be getting harder and harder to find.

Yes, another thing to dye, but I quite like the idea of dyeing my own ribbons Smile

Also found some good strong fabric to support the delicate outer gold layer on the corset!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update!

Was a click away from ordering a large spool of undyed ribbon, and came across suitable silk ribbon in a huge variety of colours.
Samples ordered, and will have comparison shots of the various colours once they arrive Smile

Will definitely be doing the brooch with magnets, the pin backing makes it far too bulky.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent yesterday dyeing small crinkle chiffon swatches trying to get the colour for the blouse and skirt. After a few various experiments with varying colour ratios and dye-times with RIT Golden yellow and Tan, I got a colour I was happy with Smile

Today all the chiffon (for the outer layers) was dyed after spending quite some time working out and scaling up the ratios, weights and measurements from yesterday (I hate leaving things to chance when working on a costume!).

Here's how it worked out!

The right upper 3 were left in jars of varying dye ratios for an hour to get an estimation of the hue when fully saturated.
The left upper-4 are swatches from the same dye pots, but with the addition of a new ratio partway between two of the saturated swatches (the vertical one in the centre. This turned out being the swatch I liked most.)
The left bottom 2 are from some of the dye pots but were pulled out after only a few mins and turned out far too light.
Finally, the right bottom-most 4 are swatches of the dye I liked most (more tan than golden yellow), pulled out in 10-minute increments to determine how long to keep the fabric soaking.

On the far right of the photo is the final fabric, as it is now.
It's a lovely wheat colour, a little different from the swatch I tried to match it to (the horizontal one in the bottom right corner), but I think it's closer to the proper colour than the swatch Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiffon embroidery has begun!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aayla upgrades for the Ep1 3D launch meant I had to put embroidery on hold, but one sleeve is almost finished!

I also have all the ribbons!
Ordered a silk ribbon swatch card, and the 5 ribbons on the right are the colours I now have spools of Smile They're slightly narrower than they should be at 13mm (think the movie ribbons are 18mm?) but looking through exhibit images and screencaps, these ribbons seem to be the closest colour-matches I could find.

Hopefully by this time next week, work on the embroidery will have resumed!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is progress going Smile The nice thing about embroidery like this is that you can pick it up and set it down again but the not so nice side is facing the sheer volume of stitches you need to get through!
Ember ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to report about yet, been focusing on work and some commissions, as well as sorting out some Slave Leia upgrades.
Once things settle down I'll get back on track with this Smile
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting thread Smile It looks good so far Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kia ora Mara and welcome to our boards Smile

I spent a few days in Danmark in 2001 Smile Mostly København to see Phantom of the Opera- easily the best production I have ever seen and I've seen it in 5 countries and obsessively collect recordings Wink- and the Nationalmuseet to see all the "Greenland" finds.. sigh. Old textiles, and even replicas of old textiles... and statues and all the swords.... *homerdrool*

Anyway glad to hear the project is still happening Smile
Farra Sti (Andrea Stout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to our boards Mara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: