Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=098f29149b9b45245a5233622e430eb0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Help with a Picnic Padme
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MerR2D2 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Help with a Picnic Padme Reply with quote

Hi everyone. My name is Meredith. I applied with my picnic Padme costume from EII a few months ago, but it did not make the cut. The feedback that I got was:

"All the elements of your costume meet the standards, and
your costume would look very lovely if it fit you better.
Is it possible to shorten the shawl a little so it doesn't
overlap so much, and can you at all make the corset fit
tighter? It should not sag around you, but be snug. I'm
not sure what the white straps on your shoulders are, but
they should not be there."

So, one is fixed = I won't wear a bra with straps. Done.
But I'm not sure what to do with the corset and shawl. The problem is that when I started this costume I was heavier. I entered a fitness competition and lost 19.5 lb! Which I'm super proud of. I even won the contest! :-) Buuuut now my costume is a little big on me. And I spent endless hours hand-embroidering all the vines and flower and flames on the shawl and corset and I'm so scared to try and take things in and mess the embroidery up. I thought about just taking the back of the corset in, but then the pieces heights looked weird to me. And on the shawl, I'm sorta clueless of what to do. Not only was this the first costume I've ever made, but it's also the first piece of clothing. So I'm pretty happy with the results, but I would love to be a part of this group.

Any recommendations would be great. Here are links to my entry pics:

http://www.di-mer.com/PicnicDress/PicnicDress-2.jpg
http://www.di-mer.com/PicnicDress/PicnicDress-5.jpg
http://www.di-mer.com/PicnicDress/PicnicDress-8.jpg

Thanks!
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Meredith and welcome!
First, congrats on your fitness win. That's is something to be proud of Very Happy.

Your dress looks beautiful and I'm amazed that this is the first clothing piece you've sewn before. WOW! Surprised Great job.

For the shawl, I'm wondering if you can attach it differently at the top. Take a look at how it sits in this pic. You can see that she has it attached a little differently and it's almost like it goes into the dress. Could you tuke some of the front shawl into the dress?

Or maybe take some material off the top of the shawl around your shoulders to make it shorter overall? Is see that there's a well defined seam so that my not be possible.

As for the corset. I understand that altering it could be very problematic. Have you tried adjusting it at the sides? Try it with binder clips first before you do any sewing to see how taking it in would look.

I'm really not a great seamstress so hopefully some of our more seasoned sewers will chime in Very Happy.
Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting those helpful tips, Raychel Smile Those are all good ideas.

Yes, the corset on any costume must be tight and fit appropriately. Congrats on losing the weight though! Smile

Perhaps you can tuck the shawl into the corset to make it fit properly. This will be a trial and error for you to see what works for you. Put the costume on, get a full length mirror and start trying different things.
I would have to agree about taking the corset in at the sides rather than the back.
Please keep us posted on your progress, and post pictures if you are in doubt, we are here to help you. Wink
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the corset, you might want to try taking in just a little bit at every seam. That tends to be better and make a better fit then taking in a bunch on one or two seams.

You want to figure out how much it needs to come in (pinching the side is a good way of measuring this). Then divide that number by the number of seams you can take in. Say you need to take in 3" and you have 4 seams to take in. 3 divided by 4 is 3/4" (three fourths of an inch) and then divide that by 2 so you are taking in 5/16ths of an inch on each seam (with the seams folded in half all the way around).

And if that isn't enough, then take in a little bit more on each seam till it's enough all the way around.

Taking in is hard work, so don't get too frustrated with it. Take in a little bit at a time and fit every time you take it in. And have the seam ripper right there to help you.

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
MerR2D2 ()

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try and take it slow and do one little step at a time, so I don't risk ruining it. I want to try and get the blouse a little lower on the shoulders, because I think that it messing up the lines of the shawl. Then I'll work on the corset once the blouse is good. Then the shawl last, because that will involving cutting off fabric and that always scares me, especially since I'll never find that same fabric again, and all the embroidery!
Akasha ()

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it in wherever there is a seam and add boning to give the proper support. Several of Padme's costumes from AotC were real corsets (huge Elizabethan influence in several pieces) so an undergarment like a bra are not needed. Dont be afraid to go tight with it.

Other than it being a bit big on you, it looks good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, you'll be using the corset in place of a bra so you'll want it snug/tight to give you the right support.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, interfacing or lining with a heavy fabric also helps keep everything smooth and rigid Smile If you take apart any of the seams to adjust (minus where the embroidery is of course) you can cut some more bodice pieces, and use a product called Wonder Under to fuse a heavier fabric like duck cloth to the inside of your pieces (make them slightly smaller on top and bottom so it doesn't show) then stitch it all back together. The heavier fabric will make it all lay very smooth Smile

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
MerR2D2 ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm hoping to gently take the corset and blouse apart a little and try to get them tweaked to fit better.
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Smile Honestly it is not a huge amount of work needed so your plan to take it slow is good Smile

The good news is you are only removing fabric not trying to add it in Smile

For the shawl it'll probably be easiest to undo the stitches at the front and just pin the very corners together.
http://www.padawansguide.com/flowered_exhibit.shtml
note how the shawl joins together by only a tiny little bit Smile You can then just use pins as a guide where you want to cut. or if your fabric is prone to holes little pieces of tape- there are some that are less gummy than others.

So you can pin/tape and look at it every so often and move them until you are happy before cutting off the excess Smile

For the blouse you may want to look for a softer fabric, so that it drapes more Smile You should be fine keeping the same shape though so the outer layer will be fine as it is Smile

The corset may be harder but there is good news Smile The embroidered silk layer is not sewn with the support layer, this means you can shape and fit the underlayer out of fabric you can get easily and then cut the embroidered fabric to shape over the top. So you can wear the supportive inner layers a few times to see how it fits (fabrics can stretch with wear especially cotton which is the most common fibre used for inner layers of corsetry).

So yes, slow and steady because you have a really great start here Smile
Ember ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayDee's Cape page on her site is very helpful for working out the shape and measurements of the shawl - http://www.angelfire.com/art/kathys/cape.htm

If you measure right around your shoulders and add about 1", you'll have the measurement for the 'C' shaped cutout, with just enough length for the ends to overlap Smile
Generic Jedi
Rey
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember wrote:
KayDee's Cape page on her site is very helpful for working out the shape and measurements of the shawl - http://www.angelfire.com/art/kathys/cape.htm

If you measure right around your shoulders and add about 1", you'll have the measurement for the 'C' shaped cutout, with just enough length for the ends to overlap Smile

Wow, I'm shocked my Angelfire stuff is still online! I had forgotten I posted that and never transferred it to my current web site.

I don't think I have much to add to the discussion - sounds like you have a lot of great advise for altering the costume!

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meredith, it was a pleasure meeting you at GACC in November. The advice here is excellent. I look forward to see you again real soon.
MerR2D2 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I'm just finishing up making my Juno jacket and I used the iron in stiffening stuff on that. It was the first time I used it, but it worked great. So, when I open up my Padme corset, I plan on adding some of that to it. Do you think I should iron it onto the outside fabric where the embroidery is or onto the inner fabric?
MerR2D2 ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey it's me again. Just popping on to say I'm still here. I'm just about finished with my Juno costume for the 501st and then I'll be ready to fix up this Padme!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: