About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=053a45bcd798999538c68870982cb1d3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Judicial Fleet/Radiant VII pilot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Original Peregrinus ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Judicial Fleet/Radiant VII pilot Reply with quote

These guys, from Episode I:

I haven't found anything on the main RL site or in these forums to indicate anyone's ever made this. I'm looking at it for the 3D release in February, and was hoping to find others who have even looked at the bloody thing. *heh*

From what we can see in the very brief screen time, above the waist it seems to be a royal blue version of the Original Trilogy Imperial Officer jacket, minus the breast pockets. There is no rank or insignia displayed. The guy on the left, at least, is wearing the same sort of black gauntlet-style gloves as Original Trilogy pilots and Episode IV Stormtrooper Officers.

From the waist down is quasi-speculative. We have this, and that's all I've been able to find so far:

Even Hasbro hasn't done an action figure. So if Lego's sources are accurate... From the waist down are a black Imperial-style belt with unadorned buckle, two snaps holding the buckle on instead of one, and one on the other side of the buckle; and navy blue trousers.

Lego lacks the detailing to show high- or low-quarters for the boots, or wheather they're flared or straight-leg, but...

Unless anyone has any actual costume photos or other behind-the-scenes info they can impart, I'm going to go with straight-leg, low-quarters.

Discuss. Smile

--Jonah
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jonah! Smile

My guess is it would follow along the lines of the Imperial officer, to a point. Like a very early version of the Imp officer. Since the pants are never seen, I think you can speculate and still get it pretty accurate. My guess is black pants? I don't think I've ever seen this costume done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go with navy blue pants to match the Lego minifig unless/until more info comes to light. I'm still somewhat astonished that no one seems to have tackled this one anywhere in the last twelve-plus years.

Also, expect a PayPal from me by this weekend, now that life craziness is beginning to slightly abate. Smile

--Jonah
ShVagYeR (Michael Szymanski)
Eagle Base CO
Eagle Base CO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check the early Republic series comic books. There were some characters in those uniforms there.

RL member 2007-2012, 2014-
Rebel Fleet Trooper
Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
Eagle Outpost/Eagle Base co-founder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I've had there was consistency. I've seen green and red uniforms in there as well as blue, and I have no evidence the blue-uniformed folks were supposed to be Judicial Fleet or early stages of the newly formed Republic Navy or what. I also have no evidence they weren't supposed to be. (And I also have been reading the comics long enough to know to take their depictions of anything from the films with large helpings of salt.)

Those durn Lego minifigs are the only things I've found outside of the film that specifically are identified as those characters, and I have no idea what info -- if any -- they used to fill in the lower half... dunno

--Jonah

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also.

I'm guessing I'd need actual costume test photos of the actors for this to be an approvable costume? The Lego minifigs or a description from someone in the wardrobe department wouldn't suffice?

I'll wear it regardless, but it would be nice to wear it as a member of the Rebel Legion. Smile

--Jonah
ShVagYeR (Michael Szymanski)
Eagle Base CO
Eagle Base CO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the "Stark Hyperspace War" story arc if you want Judicial Forces identified as such specifically. Jace Dallin (a member of JF) is featured prominently and so is his navy blue uniform. Wink

RL member 2007-2012, 2014-
Rebel Fleet Trooper
Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
Eagle Outpost/Eagle Base co-founder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*nod* Thanks for that. I went back and re-read. I'd forgotten that he had been speciffically called out as such. So much was going on in th eStark Hyperspace War issues. *heh*

But.

I'd need to find a way to contact the artist... or the writer. I've talked with John Ostrander before over the years (been a fan of his ever since GrimJack). Writers often dictate specific design elements, even if they don't illustrate them themselves.

I say this because the uniform he's wearing isn't the uniform shown in Episode I. The cut is consistent in all its depictions in the comic, and that is not the cut of the uniform in the movie, and I'm uncertain about the color.

I don't know if he was mistaken in how he thought it looked in the film, or if he showed it that way intentionally, as an antecedant of the movie uniform, an earlier step in its evolution. Since I don't know, and since it contradicts the primary source in that respect, I am not trusting it in other respects. At least, not until I can get clarification. However, since this appearance shows him wearing the same uniform after Episode I, I am inclined ot go with either a different branch of the Judicial Forces or artist error. Crying or Very sad

--Jonah
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, it would seem to me that the uniform is simply a royal blue version of the imperial officer uniform from the OT, minus all the rank badges and code cylinders, etc. I would think that if you simply replicated that costume in the right color, it would be perfect.

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's where I'm starting. Smile Since I'm already working on my ANH Stormtrooper Officer uniform, I already have the pattern drafted out. Tweaking it to the Imperial Starfleet cut (visibly different uniforms in ANH) is a matter of minutes.

I'm going to focus on the jacket first. I already have dress boots, Damascus gauntlet gloves, and navy blue Dickies work pants, so I can put on something that matches the Lego minifig if no other info comes to light before February. I've sent off some e-mails, so we'll see. I'll share anything I find out in here.

--Jonah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update-ish: Steve Sansweet's been digging for me, and so far there are no full-body photos of the pilots anywhere in their 100,000+ image archive. He's going to ask if they have any unscanned film. I might also try to contact the actors to see if they remember.

Meanwhile, plugging away on cutting fabric.

--Jonah
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah ... you mean you can just go to him and ask him questions? Wow, that's a nice connection to have!

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used them as a decider on what way to have my own Imp Officer uniform open Smile Figured this was a close to canon for that as one could get (real world openings for women tend to be opposite to male in suits and shirts, this was confirmation they opened the same side in this galaxy).

I would love to see any images of the full uniform too, I have my pattern so I'm kind of excited about making it up in a different colour Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess in the Star Wars galaxy, ladies didn't have servants fastening their clothing for them, so no reversed openings. *chuckle* That's one thing I like about the Star Trek uniforms, as well. Plus one for egalitarianism. Smile

And yeah, I have a few contacts in and around Lucasfilm. I try not to pester them with every little thing, but when I run into a wall like this... *shrug* Steve's a great guy. One way or another, I'm going to pose in this uniform with him at C6 and make sure everyone knows he helped make it possible.

--Jonah
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, Jonah! I hope you get some great reference images. (Thanks for the payment btw!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: