About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7cb65eef76f897c8005d07a046ad9115Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Decision on Saber for RL Costume
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padawan Valon (Sam Tilden)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Decision on Saber for RL Costume Reply with quote

Hello all! This is my first post here, so-hi! I was wondering- I am getting together a generic New Republic Jedi costume for entry some time next year, and was wondering which saber I should purchase. I already own a few sabers, but really want this one to stand out. I have narrowed down what I want to either the Parks Axis, or a Hyperdyne MHS-based saber. I know the Hyperdyne will be more expensive, but I was wondering if the increased brightness and IMO better effects outweigh the low run time factor. Thanks for your considerations!
Luananeko ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! My husband and I own a couple Parks sabers, but we haven't tried the Hyperdyne ones yet, so I'm a little unused to those. The short answer is that it depends on how long of troops you're planning on doing, and how much do you want to be able to let kids at the troops touch and hold your saber without worrying about damage.

In my experience, the Parks sabers are top notch when it comes to durability for trooping, you can let the kids hold the saber for pictures without worrying about them breaking it by accident. We use rechargable batteries for our Parks sabers, but even fully charged they only last a couple hours before needing a battery swap. You can extend the battery lifetime by turning off the saber when not taking pictures, but even so, expect to run through several rounds of batteries when doing longer troops like an all day comic show, or a 6 hour museum troop, etc. If the Hyperdyne ones have an even shorter battery life, then I really couldn't imagine using them for anything other than the 1-2 hour troops like book signings, birthday parties, etc.

Hope this helps Smile

Fellow SWTOR fan? Look for me!
Empire side: Shadowlands server, Nightblade legacy.
Republic side: Canderous Ordo server, Nightsong legacy.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks a lot Luananeko! Yeah, I've read that on max brightness, the Hyperdyne sabers last for a max of 35 minutes, plus its an in hilt recharge system, so no swapping batteries...Maybe I'll go with the Axis then! Razz

I really do want to eventually have a Hyperdyne, tho.....maybe that will be my next purchase AFTER the Parks. If you can't tell already, I'm kinda saber fanatic, haha. I already have 5 FXs and an RGB Bane from Ultrasabers, but for my official RL costume, I wanted a really good hilt with nice lighting effects AND good run time, something that cannot be found in my own collection...So, I guess Parks fits that slot. I just really didn't want to have to wait three months to get it, tho. But I guess for what I'm getting its worth it! Oh, and on a purely aesthetic note, for the Axis, what do you think would look nicer- a blue or green blade? I will have a black tunic, tabbards, and obi, with a brown belt, boots, and robe, if that helps.
Luananeko ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hyperdyne sabers are really nice from what I've heard, so I understand where you're coming from. They're just not the best suited for when you're running around in costume for very long sadly.

If you have a lot of blacks in your costume my personal preference for aesthetics would be a blue saber, but I'm a bit biased as you can guess from my signature Wink That said, you might want to do some research to make sure the blue sabers are as bright as you're looking for. My husband has a Dark Avenger with a green saber, and it's almost blindingly bright, while I have a Double Helix with purple blades. Though I love the purple color, my husband's green blade completely dwarfs my purple blades in brightness. I haven't seen a blue blade in person yet to comment on where it would fall on the brightness scale compared to the green or purple blades, but I'm sure there's some youtube demo videos around that you can compare them on.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty! Thanks alot, blue was what I was leaning toward, so I think its decided! But before I go ahead and order, I'll look up those videos. Thanks a lot, your imput really helps!
FenianB (Patrick Dorsey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I use colored blades so even when the batteries run out there's still some color to the blade. I linked Custom Saber Shop's page but I'm sure they're not the only ones who supply them.
Luananeko ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colored blades are a great idea, but sadly I've had trouble finding ones that match the dimensions of the Parks sabers. Most blades are 1" thick, but the Parks ones are only 3/4" thick and are fairly long.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thats the only problem with the colored PolyC blades... If I do end up getting a Hyperblade, though, that could be an option-for, you know, AFTER that amazing half hour of brightness! Razz
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makototsai makes em as bright as hyperdyne at a much lower price.

Just saying.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I most likely am going Parks now, though, but perhaps after my funds recover from this purchase, I will hit him up! lol
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recent of Mako's blades are brighter actually, cheaper, and much more durable that you can actually duel with them. I'm not a fan of the 3/4" blades as they get a bit of a noodle effect when swung around and don't duel with a parks phase blade as the leds can still break like an MR.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, I will most definitely NOT be dueling with my Parks, haha. I've been stupid enough to let my...less educated friends handle my FXs, which led to, as you know, irreperable damage to my precious 2005 MR Mace Windu, and my Hasbro Ani ROTS. My Mace had, oh I dunno, 20 LEDs go black, and my Ani had about 4 go out AND have the speaker (somehow, I dunno WHAT they were doing lol) get damaged, leading to half as loud, scratchy sound. At least, I hope its just the speaker, not any loose wires on the board.I only have 4 FXs in good condition now, when I could have had 6. So yeah, no one's gunna be swingin this $500 saber around, haha.
Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan Valon wrote:
Don't worry, I will most definitely NOT be dueling with my Parks, haha. I've been stupid enough to let my...less educated friends handle my FXs, which led to, as you know, irreperable damage to my precious 2005 MR Mace Windu, and my Hasbro Ani ROTS. My Mace had, oh I dunno, 20 LEDs go black, and my Ani had about 4 go out AND have the speaker (somehow, I dunno WHAT they were doing lol) get damaged, leading to half as loud, scratchy sound. At least, I hope its just the speaker, not any loose wires on the board.I only have 4 FXs in good condition now, when I could have had 6. So yeah, no one's gunna be swingin this $500 saber around, haha.
There's plentty of saber-bullders out there that could make something a little more unique for you. For $500-$600 you can easily get something like this built:

Depending on the options, it could be done for even less, and you'd be able to duel with it, and not have to worry about it dying on you at a long event.

Your FX's can also very likely be fixed/improved with conversion kits from The Custom Saber shop.
Just sayin'. Wink

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jedi of Poker (Tim {T.J.} Balski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heed the wisdom of Jay-Gon, you must.

I own quite a few sabers myself, but I have yet to own a JGJ masterpiece. I have handled ones owned by others and I can atest that his quality is among the top-tier of sabesmiths out there.

Consider when purchasing a Parks, there's no sound... IMHO sound is crucial when creating a proper experience. A Jay-Gon saber can have sound...

Spend the extra money- the expeirence in the end will be worth it. Valon, feel free to consult Jay-Gon or myself for further assistance.
Bushwhacker extraordinaire/Squad Leader
Phoenix 7

"Flattery will get you nowhere, but {for the sake of my fragile ego} please don't stop trying..."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good points, all. I may consider comissioning a custom build from someone at fx-sabers. In fact, I have a PC-L that I've tried wiring into an MHS hilt myself, but to no avail. In fact, I have a few sketches I have lying around for sabersmiths, but have never gotten around to contacting any to the point where I go through with it. But now, with me hopefully getting a seasonal job (and thus the funds), maybe I should reconsider that avenue. Jay, could you send me a PM with some info on how I should proceed? The only reason I'm still considering Parks is that I am in LOVE with his hilts. Plus, it says that he accepts custom builds, and I figured it'd be sweet to have a custom Parks. So I guess it just depends on putting an emphasis on either electronics or hilt hardware.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: