About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e63252508736ca68f6e4181d56bf97cbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia's Metal Bikini 3.0, A review of sorts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Leia's Metal Bikini 3.0, A review of sorts Reply with quote

Many of you may be interested in Leiaís Metal Bikini Version 3.0 made by Jamin Fite (leiasmetalbikini.com). I thought it might be helpful (having now worn version 3.0 to a convention) if I shared my thoughts/review on the new bikini.

It's very beautiful costume down to the smallest details. The pictures youíve seen really don't give it justice. The detailing is very intricate and I would describe the overall look as stunningly beautiful. There are small bumps, grooves and detailing throughout each piece that lends a softer look to the harsh metal iconic bikini. The paint I chose for my bikini is gold/copper. It looks almost reflective in some light. Itís like wearing a beautiful piece of jewelry..gorgeous! In addition to being beautiful, it is also very durable. Iím told that this version is unbreakable. Iíll add ďwithin reasonĒ to that. Iím sure that if you tried hard enough you could break it. I stepped on the boot toppers by mistake and they didnít crack or break at all so I feel confident that the bikini is durable.
I have the full bikini set so hereís a breakdown of my thoughts on each piece.

I previously owned bikini top version 1 and wore it to Dragon*Con and in the Dragon*Con parade. Despite heating and bending the top, I was never really pleased with the fit. I found that it would gap with some movements Surprised and was hard to keep in place. Version 3.0 fits wonderfully. Itís made out of the same material as the first version (so it can be heated and molded) but it has a steel wire structure inside that allows it to stay in place when bent, a feature is unique to version 3.0. Itís trimmed down from the original top to look more delicate. It fit so well that I didnít have to heat it at all. I bent the sides in slightly and was good to go. It will come lined with your choice of liner if requested. I think there are 3 or 4 liner colors to choose from. The color Iím wearing is chestnut. The top is comfortable and because it fits so well, it doesnít move around much.

Plates and Side Attachments
I have to tell you that when I first looked at the plates, I was a bit taken back by the size Confused Theyíre smallÖvery small. The front measures 9 inches across and the back plate 10 inches across. I canít say for sure (never owned a previous version), but I think the vertical length is shorter than the original plates as well. My first thought was that they were too small and wouldn't provide adaquate coverage. My husband suggested that I try them on and stand next to my slave leia standee which I did. I quickly saw that the plates in terms of both size and detail are absolutely screen accurate. Looking at pictures of myself in this bikini, I think the plates are appropriate to scale. The bikini came with 2 sizes of side attachments that allow me to adjust the size if needed. This allows the plates to fit all the beautiful sizes our lovely Leiaís. What Iím not sure about is coverage for Leiaís of every size since (as I said) the plates are very small. The plates did allow me to cover myself with the front and back panel in a modest way (as much modesty as this costume lends anyway Embarassed ) but for ladies of different sizes, I could see where fitting the panels to provide the amt of desired coverage might be problematic. This is something some of our other Leiaís may know more about than me. If you do, please post Smile

Notice how GIANT my hand looks next to the plate.

Arm Band and Bracelet
Several people have asked me about the arm band and if it has the head of a snake on it. It doesnít have a defined exact head of a snake but it is in the shape of a snakehead. From a distance, it would be interpreted as a snakehead. The armband is very flexible and can adjust for any arm size. You can see in my photo the the back of the band is open and flexes for movement. The wrist bracelet is flexible and easy to take on/off. It also stays in place well.

Hair Pieces
The braid tooth is dainty. It fits on my braid well. The hair combs are light weight and very comfortable to wear. I tease my hair just a bit so the combs have something to grab. I wore them for several hours during the con. I moved my head around a lot for photos and they never moved or slid out.

Collar
I really like the collar. It doesnít look too bulky and itís comfortable. Iíd like to get a better chain soon.

Boot Toppers

Iím working on attaching these to my boots now so more to come on these later Smile

I hope this was helpful without too much rambling Smile . Good luck Leiaís!!!

MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi

Last edited by RebelSenator (Raychel Enck) on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total
kathgruben ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent review! No rambling Wink Thanks for all of the details and for sharing.

By comparison, would anyone who has purchased a kit from http://leiastrooper.com/ care to comment on theirs? Does it fit well? Is it durable? Do you recommend it? Was communication good?
adi gallia (chantal freeman)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Great review
I too have the 3.0 version
I am still waiting for a couple of bits, ie collar & boot tops
but fully agree about the modesty coverage
the front plate could do with being a little bigger, I think
I have to use some fashion tape to make sure my skirts
dont cause me to flash my under garment
& to hold plates from slipping as I found out after an hour in the
costume this started to happen
as luck would have it, I was able to deal with it Very Happy
otherwise it is a lovly costume & comfortable to wear

Elstree Base BMO
1138th Krayt Squadron......Krayt 11
Rouge Squadron......black velvet 36
RL costumer of the year 2012

Last edited by adi gallia (chantal freeman) on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryss (Rachel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super helpful review! I'd been thinking about this kit and was wondering about the latest version.

TD/BH-5531
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Jamin's original version before he started these new kits made out of different materials and the different molds. There were some complaints about his 2.0 version and he had a lot of problems with it, so this 3.0 version should fix some of the mistakes that happened with the 2.0 version, but i am biased to his original version. Depending on how you place the new bra top on you and how it fits you, i find that the arms that extend down under the bust and wrap around the sides, come down a bit too far in the front. I would like to see them not have such a dramatic dip in the front before wrapping around the ribs. I think I am being critical, but I really love this costume, so I have my own opinions about it.
The original bikini tops have the steel framing under the resin material, thank god. My top has cracked before but was easily repaired and the steel frame saved it. The original version could be heated and slowly bent to fit anyone as well.
His new version is made out of a high impact plastic material and painted with something similar to automotive paint. Unfortunately, he cannot get the old paint and the new paint to match exactly, which makes it difficult for people like me to upgrade pieces of the original costume, without buying an entirely new costume.

Yes, there are other sellers that also make this costume, along with the original maker of the kits Jamin used to sell, that Jamin is no longer affiliated with, which is why, Jamin is making his own kits with a new design and material.

I think the new kits look good, but i am still waiting for someone to come out with a very accurate version of Leia's costume. The boot toppers are supposed to be like toes and claws and yes the armband is supposed to be a snake. Getting highly detailed pieces are more difficult to come by, but i have seen one person with exceptional skill make exquisitely detailed pieces.

The ab and back plates for Jamin's 3.0 kit are small, smaller than i would like. I like the size of my original kit plates, which are slightly bigger than the 3.0 kit plates. If you are very small chested then the small plates may look proportional, but if you are bigger busted as i am, the really small ab/back plates look way too small.
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valkyreangel,
Thanks for posting the info about the original version Very Happy . It will be very helpful to someone trying to decide what version they'd like. And I agree with many of your observations/comparisons of the different versions.

valkyrieangel wrote:
Unfortunately, he cannot get the old paint and the new paint to match exactly, which makes it difficult for people like me to upgrade pieces of the original costume, without buying an entirely new costume.

The first version top I had was painted by me. When I decided to purchase the plates and other parts of version 3.0, I asked about matching the paint. Jamin offered to let me ship the top back to him and he would re-paint it to match the rest of the costume. In the end, I instead bought the entire 3.0 costume, top included. I'm wondering if he could maybe re-paint your existing parts to match the new ones you purchase?? Of course, if you love your current paint color, that wouldn't work. I'm sure you've already talked with Jamin but I thought I would mention this just in case.
Morgana ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the first version of the costume.

I had to pad the bikini because well.... I had more than plenty of room in there. Otherwise once I heated the top it fits fairly well around of the rib cage and I usually don't have a gaping problem.

The front and back panels fit me fine and I've never had a problem with them shifting around once I put it on and situated it where I wanted it. I do use fashion tape for the cloth panels to keep the wind from moving my skirt too much. When walking from hotel to hotel at Dragon con the wind is a factor. Heck even while in the con someone opened a door to the outside and strong gust came through and the cloth panel will move.

The arm piece that goes on the bicep I always felt was a little too bulky especially sitting right next to the bikini. I always felt that I was clanging my arm against the cage of the bikini.

The item of this costume that I have always had a problem with is the hair pieces. I have very fine/thin hair. They will not stay in my hair. If I get them into my hair and they stay they wobble every time I walk or move my head. Which then drives a little buggy and I take them out. So I never wear them.

Since I currently own a Slave Leia in black and silver I was looking at possibly getting the 3.0 in copper to eventually get approved for this outfit. Since obviously the color I have can not be approved even for informal. This review was helpful and informative and gives something to think about.
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I just dont know what I want to do, if anything at this point, regarding an upgrade. I spent so much money on this one as it is, and I almost rather make a new costume that I can troop in, rather than buy multiple versions of this costume, that I can barely troop in year round. Unless my pieces break and I cannot wear them, then I will definitely replace parts or get a new costume. The old saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it" comes to mind, hahaha. Laughing Eventually, one day, I will upgrade, but Im happy with the one I have for the time being, it has served me well for 3 years.

P.S. Look at all that bling bling on Raychel's hand Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi girls
I have just perchased a set of unpainted plates from Leiastroopers
as I have just found out his front plate is a bit bigger across the top
front 10.3/4 & Back 9.34
has I did not bend my plates to get them to fit in the first place
when the other set gets to me I will be able to compare the size
diffrence & post some pics up Very Happy
then I will have some fun trying to match the paint to the rest of Jamins,
I did manage to get a good match up on my home made coller & boot tops
& shall do a little bending too, at least I will have a spare set should an oops happen whilst bending
I will keep you updated on this has I feel some of us Leia's may have to
do some mixing & matching Very Happy

Elstree Base BMO
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just a bit of side info for you ladies. The leiastrooper website is Jamin's original kit that is still being sold by the guy who was making them with Jamin a while back, as I was explaining previously. Jamin was selling them and such but I believe this guy was actually the one making them, and he decided to break away from Jamin and sell them himself; which is when, Jamin got with someone else and created a new mold and using different materials, etc.

So in other words, the kits being sold at www.leiastrooper.com is infact Jamin's original slave leia costume, that I have and many of us have, but its not Jamin selling them anymore, its the actual guy who makes them.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that Sandy Very Happy
I thought it was when I saw the pics, yay!!! Very Happy

Elstree Base BMO
kathgruben ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkyrieangel wrote:
So in other words, the kits being sold at www.leiastrooper.com is infact Jamin's original slave leia costume...

Thanks Sandy for clarifying this. I know you alluded to this fact in your first response but I wasn't quite sure. Very good to know Smile

Chantal, I'm interested in your thoughts when you receive the leiastrooper parts.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
I will let you know Very Happy

Elstree Base BMO
Ariel (Puck)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was really nice to read this review. I was the owner of one of Jamin's 1.0 kits and I really loved it. The only problem was......I am very small, especially at the chest area....his smallest top was still a bit too large for me. And it looked large on me. (I still loved it though)

So when I saw his 2.0 kit I sold my old bikini to a friend and bought the new one. Well, that one got replaced by the 3.0 version. And my comliments to Jamin for offering such a great customer service. I think that is also very important when you sell costumes. Great communications and great service.

But now back the the bikini. I bought it because it looked much more elegant the old version. And especially for a girl like me, who does not have well....a large chest area....
And it looks indeed more elegant on me (at least that is my own opinion). But.....in my case there is a but.....the top does not fit as perfect as the first one did (yet). It keeps shifting when I move. Lying down in front of Jabba in a Leia pose is not (yet) possible because than the top moves to places where it shouldn't be. As long as I keep standing up, there is not a problem.

I think the problem in that case is, that the parts that go to your back (where the elastic is fastened) are too long for me. I hope to cut those this weekend, to improve the fit.
I also heated and bend the costume after my first time wearing it in public. I realised it needed a little reshaping. Jamin told me I can reshape the top without heating.....I would advice heating though.

But I do like the fact, that you can actually see I have boobs in this costume. Very Happy In my old version, you saw a bikini top.....but absolutely no boobs. And yes, I am happy you see them; they are not much Laughing

When I first saw the plates, they looked so small. Especially the front plate. But as I said before, I am a small girl, so it actually looks good on me. I cut and placed to fabric in such way it covers a lot (I did this because I was a bit scared at first) but I decided to cut it smaller after I saw the photos.

The armband is a perfect fit for me. yay!

And I love the colour Jamin painted my new version. I especially requested this colour.

So my conclusion is that I am happy I bought the new version. The top still needs a bit of work, but I am sure I can get it to fit perfectly. (it also took some time and reshaping with my first version)

A comparison of the two versions:
The 3.0 version is a 'before' photo though, before I decided to cut the fabric and reshaped the top. But you get the idea how it looks.

Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing and especially for posting the side by side pics. I never owned the first version. Now I can see more of the differences. There are things I like about both.

And thanks Sandy for posting about the history of the bikini. I wasn't aware of any of that.

I did ask Jamin about the chain links and he said that he doesn't make those so for the time being, I think leiastroopers may be the only option unless someone knows of another maker.

My boots are done YAY! Happy Dance Dance Chewie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: