About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b427e9587b275f241bbd9e32700c6f95Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Newbie attempting Y-Wing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Efim ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Newbie attempting Y-Wing Reply with quote

Hello all,

After a few days of reading everything here, I've decided to jump into this. I've never done anything like this before, so I imagine that I'll have my work cut out for myself. Following much research into ROTJ Y-Wing pilots - and seeing that the RL could use a few more - I was persuaded to go Y-Wing.

It seems that the hardest part is obtaining a bucket (and then modifying it) and coming up with a flack vest. I found what appears to me a suitable flight suit here: http://cosplaysky.com/star-wars-imperial-technician-at-st-flightsuit-uniform-jumpsuit.html

Granted, the imp patches would need to be removed and the flaps on the right shoulder and thigh pockets would need to be corrected. Anyone see anything else that I may have missed?

Anyways, any help, suggestions, advise, conventional wisdom, that anyone would be willing to offer would be much appreciated.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks kinda shiny for cotton, but the color would pass.

Just make sure all the pockets, etc. match the current Costume Standards. And you're correct about the flaps. No points, squared.

As for the compad pocket, I'd get measurements of the opening if I were you to see if it'll match your particular prop. Lots of variations out there.

Efim ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that they take custom orders for this, so I'm gonna see if they can square the pocket flaps and I'll definitely ask about about the compad pocket ; the opening looks a little small.

Another question, is Richie's still the only supplier of Y-Wing buckets?
seven skulls ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Good luck Reply with quote

As far as I know Richies is the only kit out there.
The kit needs some help if you want it to look good.
I have mine all modded and in primer now.
After reading Skaught's post I wonder what color Flightsuit to buy?
Grey makes a lot more sense than light tan though.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that gray would make more sense than tan... I mean, with a tan vest and tan coveralls, it seems like they would just blend in together when someone saw it.
I'm wondering if it was just the lighting that made the gray look tan, or perhaps it was fading, or something like that. Perhaps the tan coveralls weren't even used in the movie. It's hard to say when only one person in the RL has actually seen them because there are so many different variables...

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a costume judge, right now I'd go with GREY. That's the color they appear on screen as.

Notice the TAN generals around him. There's definitely a difference.

And another one

Skaught ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vest is white (though a bit grungy). Same material as the X-Wing vest.

On the rack that held the pilot suits, there were organge, green, "red" (a bit burgandy color, actually) and one light tan suit. Was the tan suit a Y-Wing pilot? I don't know. But it was the same make as the other pilot suits.

One thing to note -- inside the Y-Wing helmet was written "Gray Pilot". "Red" and "Green" were written inside the others. So there's that.

Scott
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all helpful info Scott, thanks! BTW, I might be sending you an email soon. Shawn Crosby also visited a few months ago, and while he couldn't take pics, he did take notes, so I'd like to cross-reference them with you.

G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have already been in discussion with Cosplaysky, they will modify the coveralls to the correct specs, and add the correct shin pockets.

Remind them to take off the Impieral Cogs, and move the two shoulder pockts up a couple of inches (since the cogs are gone).
Also you need to tell them which flap you want, pointed or flat.

I have a pair of cosplaysky coveralls, that shiny appearance goes away after a couple of washings. Made to fit, which is great for us bigger people, and it is very sturdy fabric with great stitching. Very pleased with mine.
seven skulls ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll likely order my grey suit from cosplaysky soon.
Do they have any firm specs on the rebel suit now or do I have to specify all the mods that you have identified?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: