About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=de6d08a42d8ec64453c88cd408cd300bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Issues with Saberforge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue is this has happened before. He screwed a bunch of people over getting broken, incorrect or no saber at all. Then came back to 'make it right' sending sabers out and working with previous customers. It was thought he turned a new leaf and was back on track. Then he went right back to the same awful habits he did before and we started hearing about it all over again. It shouldn't take the third time to be the charm if it lasts this time around.

501st - IC8294
70th Explorers Commanding Officer
JeroenM ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also,wait untill u have used it a few times before you give it a definite review. My saber arrived in perfect condition too last year, but in the meantime I've had to resolder EVERY wire, as they have all broken off.
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my own issues with Saberforge back in 2010. There's probably still a thread floating around here somewhere. I ordered an Imperial Knight saber from him, and he was very responsive about getting the design together. Then when it came time to deliver, he all but vanished. He never delivered on my saber and would apparently answer e-mails only often enough to try and pacify me. Every mail would promise shipping within a week, and the shipping never happened.

After a month and a half of him ignoring emails, promising to ship and then not shipping, etc., I had to open a Paypal claim to get him to refund my money, at which point he made a snide remark that it was too bad I chose not to be patient because the saber was now done and he'd just have to sell it at a con.

The only good thing to come out of it was I learned how to build a saber myself.

It's a shame to see that this is still going on.

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
The Sugar Jedi formerly known as The Grey Elf
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wahrnys Vi'Reynos ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the thread necro but I just wanted to discuss this...

I've been hearing for some time that Saberforge has gotten better so I decided to take the chance because he's the only smith I've seen with decent and affordable "Star Wars: The Old Republic" inspired designs.

At first, everything went OK. I was even given a refund for a discount that I forgot to input the promo code for. After that, all communication stopped. SF has a Facebook page that they sporadically update and it doesn't take long to find comments from people asking where their orders are. Comments on Etsy and Amazon, although largely positive, still knock Saberforge for poor communication. I'm not sure SF sells via eBay anymore; At the time I'm writing this I can find no SF listings on eBay but plenty on Amazon and Etsy.

My bigger complaint is that SF charges you IMMEDIATELY, not at production time or ship time. Given that he doesn't have a large number of hilt designs, I can't see the logic behind taking the money before shipping. Even if a customer has to cancel at the last minute, I guarantee someone will come along asking for the same setup, or it can be sold via Etsy/Amazon as a complete package. Couple the instant charge with the poor communication and it's easy to feel ripped off.

I don't feel ripped off because it's only been a couple of weeks since I ordered and I understand making these takes time (although I seem to recall seeing SF promo videos where he had a stockpile of pre-cut hilts just waiting for electronics installs), but it would certainly be nice to hear or see some progress, especially since a search on "Saberforge" here leads to a SF customer who waited 17 weeks before getting his Obi-Wan order in the first week of this month.

I would like to point out that nowhere during the order does SF list "lead time" anymore. When I ordered, I had no idea if it was going to be 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 2 months, 6 months. As for Etsy, SF uses a generic "ready to ship in 3-5 days" label that is anything but true. Some people on FB claim to have been waiting 8+ weeks as inquiries go unanswered in the comments.

I do wish I had bought through Amazon just for the extra layer of consumer protection. It might have been worth the extra $40 - the promo discount - just for piece of mind.

I have to admit that I'm rather skeptical of the fact that they've added Bitcoin as a payment option. They won't take Paypal via the official website but they'll gladly take Bitcoin? Seems kinda shady, or maybe I'm just paranoid.

[Late Edit for grammar clean up.]

Last edited by Wahrnys Vi'Reynos () on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to contact him publicly &/or via PM here (You'd have to join the forum but we'd love to have you - lots of good stuff! Wink )

http://www.imperialroyalarms.com/thread/3151/first-saber-sale-2014-saberforge

He now has a new sales associate named Daniel Lane who might be also able to help you

http://www.imperialroyalarms.com/user/81

I've done business w/ SF many times and certainly it can be frustrating to deal w/ them, but the hilts are very good for the price point. Unfortunately, sometimes you gotta make a little noise to be heard Confused

What hilt were you looking to buy? Either way, good luck and let us know how it turns out

Wahrnys Vi'Reynos ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddy Solo wrote:
I've done business w/ SF many times and certainly it can be frustrating to deal w/ them, but the hilts are very good for the price point. Unfortunately, sometimes you gotta make a little noise to be heard Confused

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel ripped off at all right now. But I can certainly see how some people could feel that way, especially when customers are charged up front before a lick of work is done on their order. Despite the positive reviews it seems SF still has some things to learn about customer service and/or feedback. By that I mean, don't just drop off of the face of the earth for weeks at a time.

I totally understand - and can sympathize - the frustrations of being a small fabrication shop and being overwhelmed. However, he's been doing this so long now that one would think they'd take the initiative and make a better storefront with some kind of order tracker. Joining Facebook was a very positive step, now if they'd only utilize it more.

Quote:
What hilt were you looking to buy? Either way, good luck and let us know how it turns out

The one I've wanted since he premiered it: Gladius. Even at level 55, my first TOR Jedi (Sage) is still using the original level 10 saber that I got 2 years back. I love the design and think it's one of the best video game extended universe designs. I'm also a "purist" (I say that firmly tongue in cheek) who believes the first crafted lightsaber should never be lost! So when I saw he had made one based off that design I wanted it, but the initial price tag (and poor reviews) turned me away. The better reviews and the lower pricing came at the perfect time.

My primary alt Jedi Guardian is using the saber hilt in game that SF based the Reliant on. Depending on my experience with the Gladius order, I might buy a Reliant later on, too.
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The one I've wanted since he premiered it: Gladius. Even at level 55, my first TOR Jedi (Sage) is still using the original level 10 saber that I got 2 years back. I love the design and think it's one of the best video game extended universe designs. I'm also a "purist" (I say that firmly tongue in cheek) who believes the first crafted lightsaber should never be lost! So when I saw he had made one based off that design I wanted it, but the initial price tag (and poor reviews) turned me away. The better reviews and the lower pricing came at the perfect time.

My primary alt Jedi Guardian is using the saber hilt in game that SF based the Reliant on. Depending on my experience with the Gladius order, I might buy a Reliant later on, too.

I have a Gladius w/ an amber led and had another smith install a Nano Biscotti sound board in there on a PVC sled w/ 2W bass speaker and in hilt recharge. It is super comfortable to wield.

Link

Link

IF, by some chance your sale w/ SF directly becomes problematic (as I said, I know it can be frustrating to have to wait for him to ship in a timely fashion Wink ) Another IRA forum member has a Gladius sales thread as well. He may be quicker on the draw (I have done business w/ him as well and is better at communication in my experience)

http://imperialroyalarms.com/thread/2345/fs-gladius

Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks for anyone thinking of buying from him...I've said this countless times that when a person has like 9 pages of comments on a thread called issues....why would anyone even consider buying from him....he won't become better until he gets no business.

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wahrnys Vi'Reynos ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddy Solo wrote:
Another IRA forum member has a Gladius sales thread as well. He may be quicker on the draw (I have done business w/ him as well and is better at communication in my experience)

http://imperialroyalarms.com/thread/2345/fs-gladius

That's the guy you just said is SF's new sales associate. That means that thread is nothing more than an indirect advertisement for SaberForge. Orders will still go through SaberForge, a fact that becomes obvious when you compare that thread to the official SF site. The pricing is the same and all the pictures were copied straight from the SF storefront.

If SF has been rehabilitating his image (and he has a fairly good rep on IRA) why does he have to use someone else to peddle his wares in a thread that fails to mention they're SaberForge hilts? They've even gone so far as to host the images elsewhere so the links don't contain the saberforge domain name in them.

Why is the thread under a category named "Tythos Ridge Customs" rather than "SaberForge"? The implication is that someone else is crafting them. Up until the Venom hilt thread, which finally has SaberForge marks on the images, they go out of their way to avoid mentioning SaberForge at all.

Color me cynical but this seems pretty damn shady. SF supposedly has a good reputation on IRA. Why does he need Lane to sell under a different smith name?
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a dog in this fight - I'm just trying to help. AFAIK, Daniel (aka Lucien Kane) get SF hilts and does his own electronics installs, that's why its under Tythos Ridge Customs - they ARE NOT coming from Saberforge. It's his own company. He ships- not Phil. There is no hidden agenda here. Everyone on IRA knows this - it's not a secret society.

It's no different that any of the other smiths on IRA or FX who do installs on other manufacturer's sabers. Everyone that I am aware of, knows that these are SF hilts, period.

In the end I've owned a Justicar, a Redeemer, an Exhalted, and now a Gladius with no major hiccups (all purchased from SF NOT Tythos Ridge Customs. The hilts are great although, full disclosure, I've had independent smiths rework the electronics in most of them. At this point all I can say is good luck with your purchase. If you feel that your transaction is going awry, contact Phil, contact your CC, rattle your saber lol, whatever you feel you must do Razz I just hope you end up with a great saber.

Wahrnys Vi'Reynos ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This'll likely be my last post on the Legion for some time but I wanted to update:

It's now been two months since I ordered the Gladius from Saberforge. All the claims that he's somehow gotten better, that he offers better customer service, that he has faster turn around time are, frankly, a load of bantha poo.

Attempts to contact Saberforge regarding my order via e-mail and Facebook have gone unanswered. There HAVE been people who have gotten responses via Facebook but those responses short and curt, then the entire comment thread, original complaint and all, often disappears. If I don't get a response from my "hey, it's been two months, what's going on" e-mail, I'm going to get my credit card company involved to either initiate a chargeback (if the time limit hasn't elapsed) or report scamming behavior.

For anyone interested, don't be fooled by the claims that he's gotten better. He hasn't. He takes your money up front and then leaves you twisting in the wind. Don't order through Etsy or eBay either because, while they may have an extra layer of protection for your case, you're still subsidizing and enabling his poor customer behavior.

Save your money for a better product from a more reputable source.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: