About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=98e26dccbcd06aee0f116a0ec9fae6b1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Issues with Saberforge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trex (Ed)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could send them out this Monday that would be much appreciated. Please email the shipping number to me at ebell716@yahoo.com honestly I haven't asked you for a refund even considering the time because I really like the work you do. Thank you for trying to rectify the situation.
Ed
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a Justicar back in May, got it in 7 weeks instead of the predicted 3, but that's not that big a deal really.... I hear of other sabersmiths taking way longer, so I appreciate Saber Forge's rather rapid turnaround in that regard. All was in order, except some of the edges were a bit sharp (hello, file & polish), and the LED has since popped out after it was dropped on the floor... held in now via friction from a piece of tape wrapped around it. AmpTrooper has offered to look at it sometime, and see about electronics upgrade while we're at it.

Saber Forge, you have great stuff, hope everything can get sorted out.

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Trex (Ed)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on when you plan on shipping the sabers you mentioned? I haven't heard from you yet.
Markolise ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to bring up semi-old threads, but I ordered a Sinister Prophecy with the clip and Rechargeable battery system on October 4th, the last reply I received from Phil was the beginning of December.

I have yet to hear from or get any kind of reply from the guy. Since he replied on this post the first week he said I'd be getting mine mailed I figured I'd post my issues with him too.

I've been told twice now that the saber was about to ship, the first time in late October, the second on the beginning of December.

I wouldn't mind experience some of the "Good Customer Service" he is supposed to have, or a refund.
DarthGM (Phil Maiewski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks, just wanted to drop a line here saying I recently picked up one of Saberforge's "SWTOR Hilt" sabers, and it was sent out immediately and arrived with no problems. Possibly a by-product of the sabers being ready-to-go, but I wanted to voice that I had a quick turn around and good communication with him.
rang mereel ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with saberforge is that you can never tell if you are going to have a good or bad experience. I for one had a horrible one. I was told on four separate occasions spanning 3 months that my saber would be shipped and it never would happen. And it got to the point where all my emails would be ignored. I finally got it when I started this thread and complained. To be fair alot of extras were included once I finally received my saber. However it should not have come to that. I for one am no longer planning on doing business with saberforge. In the end it's too much of a hassle, which is a shame considering how nice the work is.
Markolise ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic DathGM, I saw those hilts on his Ebay page when I was hunting down some alternative way to contact him.
They are nice hilts and I like the look of them, and the craftsmanship looks superb. It really sucks that I've had such a bad experience with saberforge.

I've had to track him down to multiple different websites just to try and get a hold of him. The latest one Ebay, he responded in a similar fashion, "I will be shipping it out this following week" that was on the 12th, I had 3 day shipping selected when I ordered it. The last time I was told this was in December.

I wouldn't have minded being one of the customers that had an awesome experience with his company. I know well over 100 people in my city that would have ordered from him with my recommendation.
The only reason i haven't asked for a refund yet is due to the fact that I like the saber so much. Its the only reason. But my patience is wearing very thin.
bizarrojoe ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'd like to contribute some thoughts on Saberforge here (my understanding is that there are other places where discussing SF isn't allowed).

Short background: I'm very new to the custom lightsaber market, and I don't have much money to spend (middle-class family man here).

After going down the long rabbit hole that is the world of custom lightsabers, I decided it was time for me to make my first purchases. I spent a lot of time looking at what various sabersmiths had to offer, and although I was very impressed by the quality of work available, I couldn't possibly afford the (justifiably) hefty pricetags that were placed on these sabers. Eventually, my attention landed on the hilts that Saberforge offered. I looked at the website, watched the YouTube vids, and saw some of the more recent builds up on eBay. I was immediately attracted to the Gladius and Reliant hilts, in that way that one is uniquely drawn to a design for no good reason.

Despite the reviews I've read about SF's business & quality reputation, I decided to take the plunge. Why? Because I could buy two very nice lightsabers for $240. I contacted SF through a few different channels (email, eBay, and YouTube). There was some turbulance with whom I was chatting with, and what I wanted to order. At one point I was told the sabers were going to ship, and then the date was pushed back about a week because of a mixup. But in short, I paid for two sabers on January 16, and they arrived on January 30th. Not bad IMO.

Onto the sabers themselves. They arrived in a triangular USPS Priority Mail box, with the hilts individually bubble-wrapped and taped to the blades. I smiled as I held the hilts in my hands, and they certainly accomplished their goal of making me feel like a Jedi. And that's all I really wanted: Lightsabers that felt better than plastic and I enjoy playing with and looking at.

Note: I bought these lightsabers without soundboards. I chose to have white LEDs installed so that I could add in Lee filters later on.

That being said, there were some problems with the items. First, the emitters on both the Reliant and the Gladius were loose. They were a fraction of a millimeter too wide, but it was enough to be immediately noticeable. I fixed the problem by wrapping a single layer of scotch tape around the inside of the emitters; the thickness of the tape was just enough to allow the emitters to snugly fit back in place. Second, the retention screw hole for the Reliant's pommel was drilled a little oddly, as though the bit veered a little off course momentarily in the process of drilling. It doesn't affect the function of the screw, but it's a little bit of an eyesore up close since it was obviously a mistake. Third, both hilts were covered in minor scratches, most notably on the Gladius' emitter. Again, just an eyesore up close. Fourth, the battery holders in both hilts moved too freely when swinging the saber; hard swings would actually cause the LED to flicker! I fixed this by wrapping the battery casings with a rubber band to keep it in place via friction. Finally, one of the provided blades has a series of minor dings, which show up when the blade is lit.

Now, I'm sure the problems I mentioned above would cause some saber enthusiasts to gasp in horror. But I consider these lightsabers a budget-friendly starting point. In time when I have the cash I'm likely to modify these sabers. Maybe change the LED, maybe add a soundcard, maybe polish out the scratches. Until then, I think that these sabers will look great on my bookshelf/display case/wall, and they'll be fun to spar with. And if you're in the same boat as I am, looking for the same simple thrifty alternatives, then I think you'll enjoy Saberforge lightsabers as well.
Markolise ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received my saber yesterday, 4 months after ordering it. like bizarroJoe, it came in a triangular box the hilt was wrapped in bubble wrap.
Mine did have a sound board on it. and came with Nihm batteries and a charging coupling.

I was excited, but disappointed, heres why, after waiting for so long to get this, it came in but only part of the oder was there. I ordered a Covertech knob and the Covertech belt system with it which were not in the package at all.

Mine too had dings and scratches, the sound board is very quiet and the sensitivity is so low it seems like you'd have to be hitting the thing against a wall in order for it to clash.
But that's fine I over looked it, I had major issues with the charging though. First off he sent me a charger that was 6v 500mah charger... when i looked at the batteries they are 1000mah 1.2v AAA Nimh in a default 4 battery holder. I have a bit of experience with electronics mainly with RC equipment and honestly never seen a charger with that high of voltage for this low voltage setup. Kind of an eyebrow raiser...

Now rather than hound the guy to send me the Covertech stuff, I just emailed him and asked for a refund on those parts. Since they weren't in the box. Doubt I will hear from him, sadly its only $14.

I will probably never order from him again.
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markolise wrote:
Mine too had dings and scratches, the sound board is very quiet and the sensitivity is so low it seems like you'd have to be hitting the thing against a wall in order for it to clash.

Did you order the lower-end "Hasbro" sound? If so, that's why it has low sensitivity. I knew this going into it, having bought the Hasbro toy saber with sound for when I scavenged it for my first sink-tube saber.... so I wasn't really disappointed. You'll have to go with those high-end boards out there for real sensitivity.

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Markolise ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did order the hasbro sound board, which i really only expected it to be louder. When I remembered it was the hasbro soundboard I didn't give it much thought to the sensitivity, I only was commenting on it. When I get the money saved up i'll most likely get me an Obsidian based saber from Ultra.

What I am truly disappointed in was the fact that I only received half my order. After all the waiting, only half of the order came in. A covertech knob and Covertech belt holder... neither one were in the box. I was hoping that SaberForge would have sent me extras like they did with rang_mereel, to possibly make up for the inconvenience or something, that would have brought back a little of my respect for the guy but I didn't even get all of what i ordered in the first place.
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markolise wrote:
Yes I did order the hasbro sound board, which i really only expected it to be louder. When I remembered it was the hasbro soundboard I didn't give it much thought to the sensitivity, I only was commenting on it. When I get the money saved up i'll most likely get me an Obsidian based saber from Ultra.

What I am truly disappointed in was the fact that I only received half my order. After all the waiting, only half of the order came in. A covertech knob and Covertech belt holder... neither one were in the box. I was hoping that SaberForge would have sent me extras like they did with rang_mereel, to possibly make up for the inconvenience or something, that would have brought back a little of my respect for the guy but I didn't even get all of what i ordered in the first place.

You may or may not find that Ultra isn't that great either.

The best bet is truly to build your own using materials from The Custom Saber Shop.
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a tricked out saber with sound from Ultra, and I'm happy with it, very much so. While people want a sturdy, attractive saber that they can duel with, they may not be able to afford hundreds of dollars and months of wait for a saber, or have the skills/time/patience to build one themselves. So Ultra fills a niche in the market- durable sabers at a good price, with reasonable wait time. And since I've started purchasing sabers there, the quality and looks of the hilts on offer has improved.

Please note that I'm not affiliated with Ultrasabers, I'm just a satisfied customer.

I'm not putting down or dissing other sabersmiths out there, they too have their niche in this hobby. Some people are willing and able to pay more and wait longer for custom work, for example. And I'm also a satisfied TCSS customer too:)

Edit- I checked out saberforge's website and I like a couple of their hilt designs. I'm tempted to buy them completely empty and install my own guts, using a combo of ultrasabers and TCSS parts.
Markolise ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Edit- I checked out saberforge's website and I like a couple of their hilt designs. I'm tempted to buy them completely empty and install my own guts, using a combo of ultrasabers and TCSS parts.

Keep in mind saberforge's sabers (at least the one I have) uses set screws. so some of the parts might not work well with parts from another saber shop.

Drazhar, I'll keep that in mind. It'll be a little while before I can get the money up to get another saber so when i do I look carefully at both places.
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more the internal bits- LED, sound board, and so on. I'm not gonna try and screw on a TCSS emitter to a saberforge hilt, for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: