About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2cd61307521784385d3931f73873e031Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Honest assessments of the Richies Y-Wing Bucket?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Honest assessments of the Richies Y-Wing Bucket? Reply with quote

Hi, Gang -

As you may or may not know, Boudicca and I are slowly working on collecting kit for an A-Wing Pilot project. At the moment, we are looking at our options. Most likely, I'll be building the chest boxes, and we'll buy the helmets we can get. Assuming that Tusken's A-Wing bucket doesn't work out, we are looking at back up options. One of those is the Y-Wing bucket.

So far as I know, Richies is the only one making the Y-Wing bucket at present. Would anyone be willing to give me an honest assessment of the kit? Any information you could provide would be gratefully accepted. Feel free to PM if you'd prefer to keep it private. Just want to know what I'd be getting into if I went in that direction (size, quality, price, needed modifications, what have you.)

-Alex
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't have one of the helmets myself I have seen them in person a few times, so take my opinion for whatever it's worth...

The price of the Richie's helmet is comparable to most other helmets I've seen... Most helmets I see tend to be around the $150-250 price range, give or take, and the Y-wing helmet fits right in there.
The quality of it seems pretty good, fairly sturdy, though I haven't picked one up to see how heavy it is or how strong it is. It seems a little big (I saw the original Y-wing pilot helmet from RotJ that has been floating around at exhibits and the thing was fairly small), but I don't think it's much too big...

The main problem with the helmet is that it's not very accurate. It could be worse, but it could definitely stand to be improved. Firstly, there's no slot near the top of the helmet for a PC connector, though that can always be cut in. The biggest issue is the shape of it. The "chin" of the helmet is flat while it should be rounded. It doesn't stop it from looking pretty good once painted, but the flattened front of the helmet is far from accurate. The sides are also narrower while the screen-accurate helmet has sides that are wider and fuller.
There are also some other smaller issues with it.
There have been a few people who have bought the helmet and then modified it for accuracy by fixing the front/chin and fixing the other smaller inaccuracies. From what I've seen it looks like it's quite the process, though.

But when it comes to the Y-wing helmet, Richie's is indeed the only option. It would be nice if there was a seller of a more accurate helmet but so far there hasn't been one (other than a very brief and limited run someone made a few months ago).

Original helmet... http://www.starwarshelmets.com/2010/PatrickH_ywing01.jpg
And Richie's... http://www.richiesarmor.com/images/yw1.jpg

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Alex. Much appreciated. That was exactly the kind of information I needed, and it will be most useful.

Oh, lest I forget. Do you think the aforementioned issues would prevent the helmet from being approved, or would you recommend attempting to fix these issues?

How are your plans for offering the B-Wing stuff coming along?

-Alex
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no problem getting approved with an unmodified Richie's helmet. There are issues with it when it comes to accuracy, but as said it's the only option available if you can't make a helmet from scratch by yourself.

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there is an old thread here somewhere showing a complete build with modifications to a Richies helmet. (Or maybe it was posted on the RPF ??)

This is another item I would like to work on making more accurate molds for vac-forming. I would need to get my hands on a Richies kit to use for reference. (Unfortunately, purchasing one is not in the budget.)

If anyone has a kit they would be willing to loan me for a while, I would certainly be willing to make it worth your while with a trade or something.

David L.
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna -

Thanks for the info. Very good to know. Looks like you use it with an A Wing build?

David -

Would you require the kit permanently, or is it something you could look over and return?

Alex
DroidWelder ()

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mithras wrote:

David -

Would you require the kit permanently, or is it something you could look over and return?

Alex

EDIT: I would return it. I'm sure that I could get what I need and have it back to you in a couple weeks.

You may send me a PM if you would like to discuss further.

David L.
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I use it for my A-wing costume.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mithras wrote:

How are your plans for offering the B-Wing stuff coming along?

-Alex

I'm planning to try to start selling off copies of the chestbox at some point, though I don't know exactly when, I really need to find a way to refine the process first so it doesn't take me so long. I don't have access to a vac-forming machine so I've been trying to find some other options. Right now the only way I know how is to make a rubber mothermold, and then layer in resin and fiberglass sheets. That usually comes out alright but it's quite the process...

I need to make a new chestbox first as the "accurate" one I have already has been a painted and has greeblies on it. But I wanted to make another one, anyway.
I'm not sure when I'll get around to it. Some of my B-wing stuff is on the back burner while I finally get some work going on my Jedi. Plus, while I want to make some modifications to my flak vest and some other stuff, I can't do it until I get a new sewing machine, so the soft goods are kind on hold for the time being. Razz
Still, I've got molds for all of the greeblies I've made already (for the helmets and chestbox), so at least that saves some time.

As for the helmet, that's something that's still up in the air. The helmets I have are pulls from the screen-used RotJ B-wing pilot helmet, so it's as accurate as they come, but I bought them from someone. I have three helmets, two of which have been trimmed, painted and are otherwise finished (one you can see in my signature below, the other was on display at the RL booth at CVI), the third is just one big brick of a piece that I can't use... I don't think anything will be able to cut through it. But it would work great for a mold because it's big, heavy and sturdy.
But because I purchased these from someone I don't feel that it's right for me to try to make copies of them... Or at least not for a while. Since I bought these the seller has said that he's not going to be making any more (so I have the only three he made and sold Cool ), and has since disappeared... again. So I thought that I would wait a little while and see what happens. If nothing comes up in the next year-ish I may see what I can do about making some pulls of the helmet. I would just like to avoid any grief or having someone angry with me.

I wish I had the screen-used chestbox, which the seller did have, but he never got around to making any copies of it. Still, I think my most recent one turned out pretty accurate...

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DroidWelder ()

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thread I was refering to:
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25674

David L.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, I've got one. If you're going to the Sunrider Group Pic coming up, I can dig it out of Shawn's garage and bring it along. I can also ask paleosilex (Rob N.) to bring his as well since he'd modded it.

Just let me know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: