About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8da5188abf98d56537aee8f89c30b95fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Alien feet. How do I make a pair?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Do Dad ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Alien feet. How do I make a pair? Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm interested in making an Ithorian Jedi costume, but I am a bit hung up on how to make the feet. I had considered making some boots that would look like they were made for an Ithorian's foot. However, most Ithorians are depicted as being bare footed with big ol' gnarly feet.

Which direction should I go; boot or foot? And are there any tutorials out there on the web that go into any detail on the process?
qui-gon32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can help my good sir! I am currently making an Ithorian, started it about two years ago or so, nearly finished now and will be posting a build thread. The first thing I did was make the feet and I used a snowboot and built up the toes using pieces of carpet padding then covering that with a layer of fabric, all I had on hand upholstery fabric. It had a great fleshy feel, but was red. I do have pics and am more than happy to share them with you as well as other things I did to build the creature. All I have left to do is foam and sculpt the head, add my fans and a couple of speakers. Then iether have it airbrushed or give it a laytex brush and paint over that. Then I can concentrait on the tree trunk legs. I want to use foam rubber but might just try what I did for the head. You will see in the build thread, alot of sculpting wire, screen and expaning foam (which I am starting tomorrow). I have had the clothing done for a while now, will have pics of everything so no worries. Also, feel free to make suggestions on stuff, I am always open to new ideas and perspectives.
Ken Do Dad ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Sir!

I'm slowly gathering materials and getting ready to start myself! I'm planning to sculpt the head out of pink insulation foam attached to a bicycle helmet (w/ chinstrap). Wrap that with cotton batting and hit it with some liquid latex. I'm thinking vision will be an issue, with limited visibility under the neck. My initial thought was to use cooling packs instead of fans inside the mask. Along with that is a desire for a smooth transitions between mask and costume without looking awkward. The surgical scrubs should be loose enough and allow room for the feet and thick calves. I'm also considering wearing knee pads under the pants to get that knobby-knee effect.

My biggest area of interest is the use of speakers and sound. I'm lost in this area. I thought about using recordings of whale sounds (which could be cool, but not very communicative). I have no clue on hardware, wiring, etc. My background is in fine arts not IT! I was torn between doing a "realistic" Ithorian, or a "cartoon-ish" Ithorian (ie. Rorran Cobb). I decided on the more realistic approach.

Here are some links to items I am gathering:

Eyes (63mm Marlin): http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Marlin-C865.aspx?s=OrderBy%20ASC&p=1

Gloves (clip the nails): http://www.world-costume.com/ultimate-monster-hands-brown-p-5828.html

Pants (khaki color): http://www.allheart.com/di51206.html#j

Images: http://www.swtor.com/de/community/showthread.php?t=228343

and

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Roron+Corobb&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=mkx&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1016&bih=570&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=lEbNkDNeiPHjeM:&imgrefurl=http://www.blister.jp/item5520.html&docid=5dsauhnXS0qs_M&w=600&h=481&ei=nwmTTojhCaSqsQLjrMyEAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=693&vpy=167&dur=1538&hovh=201&hovw=251&tx=136&ty=96&page=27&tbnh=155&tbnw=193&start=234&ndsp=8&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:234

Notice the awkward transition in this one: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/KOB/CelebrationIIcostume.jpg

Tutorial: http://www.spatcave.com/hammerheadmask.htm

Very nice costume about 2/3 down):
http://www.starwarshelmets.com/chewyTuscfan.htm

Hope some of this was helpful to you! Since I am just starting, any and all information would be great!
qui-gon32

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that last hammerhead certainly puts mine to shame,lol I am basing mine off the newer action figure.
Here are a few sugesstions I can offer. First, for the eyes, if you want to save some ducketts, get clear Christmas bulbs from any craft store. The have a large size and the come in two pieces. I painted them from the inside with black acrillic. Second, be mindful of the front end heavyness. Personally, I plan to install a few straps attached from the back underside of the helmet and have clips on the end to hook onto an army web belt and maybe some LBE(load barring equiptment) suspenders that one can find at any army navy surplus store. That way all that front weight is supported on the hips.
Visibility for me, will be looking dirctly under the bottom part with a blackout mask where the rest of my face will be covered by the scarf knot. To get the sterio voice, I have two micro speakers that I am gping to splice into a Halloween voice changer with mic. Certainly gonna be cool to see what you do with yours!
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Do Dad wrote:
My biggest area of interest is the use of speakers and sound. I'm lost in this area. I thought about using recordings of whale sounds (which could be cool, but not very communicative). I have no clue on hardware, wiring, etc. My background is in fine arts not IT! I was torn between doing a "realistic" Ithorian, or a "cartoon-ish" Ithorian (ie. Rorran Cobb). I decided on the more realistic approach.

I was thinking about this last night. I would suggest reading the Sound Discussion Roundtable in the Wookie forum - great information there on 'how to'. Being a first hand recepient of Marty's Chewie sounds at troops, they are quite loud and distinct. I've gotten a personal soundtrack shirt from ThinkGeek (their website is just cool to look around on, period) and am going to use that for my wife's Ewok.

As for Ithorian sound files, in KOTOR2 there are some lengthy discussions with Ithorians on Telos. I figure there are at least 3 to 5 distinct sound bits, after which they repeat, but it's a start. I don't know if the conversation files are rippable... I did get the soundtrack music from the file location (after running the upgraded music patch), ran it through a Creative Suite I have, and can now play the KOTOR2 music on my mp3 player. Perhaps the sound files for voices are the same...

UPDATE. I did some digging across the web and see where people have ripped the conversations into sound files. That should give some hope for Ithorian voices as well!!!
Ken Do Dad ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediMasterMark, that is way too cool!

I'm not a gamer myself, but the idea that there is an actual representation of Ithorian language somewhere (outside of the original animated Clone Wars series) is very promising! I was looking at voice manipulators, but they seem to be rather high-priced. So the idea of being able to capture some dialog from the video is very promising. I'll have to find someone with the appropriate software to do so. From there, it should be easy enough to convert it to an mp3 and loop it a few times with some space between each segment. Then just run some speakers out of it and done! I did find that some of the "roaring" sounds from the Clone Wars' Rorran Cobb were a lot like alligator growls (I've been perusing animal mp3 recordings).

I have a good feeling about this..!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: