About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=166e5b8f06588f9931a71f8099f876c1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Priority Troops
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Echo Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Priority Troops Reply with quote

Should the base select priority events as manitory troops for members.
Ryss (Rachel)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by priority events...? High-profile? I don't think mandatory anything is a good idea, though, due to real life everything else.

TD/BH-5531
darthgrace ()
Legion Merchandise Officer
Legion Merchandise Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the carrot usually works better than the stick.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the idea is each region select two events and make those two priority troops. Case in point (Eastern PA/DE) Wizard World Philadelphia and Star Wars Night with the Wilmington Blue Rocks. If the members in this region choose these two and agree to make the two manitory then the member in the region do their best to troop the selected two events.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously don't think this is a good idea.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlighting or Promoting the larger or High profile events in order to gain more attendance is cool. Stating that they are mandatory, is not. Its always a chose for the individual. No one should feel that they have to attend an event except for the one, for their active status of course. I understand what you hope to achieve or what you are getting at, but many will not understand it that way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I want to see what the base feels is right. I don't want a base that is just events and patch runs. Many members want to see/know what the base is doing. Since I am (for the time) the head of the chapter, I am letting the base know what topics are running around my brain.
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think prioritizing and talking up particular troops is a good thing. A big turn out to an event - like SW in Concert or NYCC, for example - speaks volumes for Echo and it's commitment to events and a strong showing from us.

I think 'mandatory' walks a dangerous line... 1. it defies the spirit of the charter - a volunteer organization and 2. the letter of the charter, as you are only required (read: mandatory) to attend one event a year to be active.

Just my two credits worth...
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While thinking about this topic, and read the members' responses (which are great to see.) It has to my attention that for some members going rebel may not be appealling enough. Yes, I know wearing a "helmet" does have maybe a better feel. The bad guys do have a bigger group, and they seam to get every event request.

Being a Rebel does have value. We win in the end, we are a very creative group, we have big heart--raising just as much charity funds as the 501st. Every member of this base is great and out going. I am at a lose, I think I had a realization at the last event I attended were I was the only Rebel: granted I love my nickname "Token Rebel", but I getting a little burnt out going to events and promoting the Rebel cause and not seeing the fruits of my work.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I'm a rebel at most events I go to. It's somewhat expected I go as Porkins. Luckily, I've been able to get a few others locally to join me in orange, so I have at least one other person with me usually. When you can get a few people in the same costume it looks quite impressive, but you have to have fun with it.

Last few times out I've worn my Imperial Crewman just because it's easier... Some times it works out, some times it just doesn't. Mr. Green

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endorscout64 wrote:
... getting a little burnt out going to events and promoting the Rebel cause and not seeing the fruits of my work.

Tim, I think this is true of any of us that show up as good guys in the midst of a sea of white armor (Token Jedi, perhaps? Or Token Ewok?). I guess the question would be, what sort of vision do you want to see happen from our troops? What would you define as the 'fruit of your work'? Once we identify that, we can form a plan to better get our name out there or promote the RL side more, etc.
sgt carida (Wally Peters)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandatory no.

TIm I feel for you and what you are trying to do here. This year has been difficult because of the "need" for Vader at high profile events so Anakin and Rex have been on deck for most of it. It is even more difficult in Pennsylvania the further you get from the eastern/northern side of the state because there isn't a large population of RL Troopers. The only way to boost the numbers is to grow the troopers. How do you do that? To be honest I don't even know how one goes about coming into the RL without a costume Crying or Very sad
Mahim ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt carida wrote:
To be honest I don't even know how one goes about coming into the RL without a costume Crying or Very sad

This is where an idea like JediMaster Mark's "Padawan" program for Jedi recruits in Blumfruit Temple comes in--work with people while they're building a costume so they can have some resources and advice available from RL members before they join.

For my part, I'm always in "recruitment mode" for the RL--I've got a potential COR recruit and (very possibly) and ANH Leia... THON's a particularly good recruitment lever for us out here... Wink

"It is the happy man who does the useless things; the sick man is not strong enough to be idle." - G. K. Chesterton, "Orthodoxy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As interesting of an idea as this sounds, and i nderstand your desire to bring in more members of the group to troop, i do see some areas of concern in the idea

1. this is a vollunteer organization, where members do what they can. By making an event mandetory it does take away that concept, and moves events from I would love to do that , to oh great I have to do it.... it will set a bad tone for the members ..

2... people have lives , and are not always able to do troops, I am sure for some it is an ordeal just to get one troop in for the needed requirements of the group ..

3.. You will need to have a committee that will have to over view all requests to miss a particular event. The needed man power just to determine if someone will be allowed to miss one.

would you have to create an excused list.
- i have a death in the family/friend
- i am / family member sick
- graduation

ect....... i mean there can be a variety of reasons why someone can not make it to any given troop.....
FenianB (Patrick Dorsey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo Base covers New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. That's a lot of geographic territory. If certain high profile events are mandatory, how far do you expect people to travel?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Echo Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: