About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e82db032ae01ffcfe21149e26673bfd8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Continuing my Chewbacca Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WookieDiego (Sam)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right you talked me into it Smile
Jaguar ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WookieDiego wrote:
I know Jaguar wants to make his from scratch, maybe we can all hook up and help each other out with some of the more labor intensive steps like the life cast.

Yeah man! It seems to me that just about everyone wants to do the life cast but nobody knows how. I want to make this as easy on myself as possible, but I'll be damned if I drop a few car payments on a mask that I am not happy with. I don't know diddly about sculpting, hair punching, or anything like that so I will be relying heavily on this group. Thank God that we're close (S. Orange County to SD isn't too bad, especially if I take the train) so we can learn together.

By the way, did you ever get an answer in that thread on where to buy the materials?
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool to see all you guys making awesome wookies back home! I'm from Mission Viejo, and when I graduate I'll be moving home where you guys will be fellow base members. That's an awesome thing to look forward to!

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:
WookieDiego wrote:
I know Jaguar wants to make his from scratch, maybe we can all hook up and help each other out with some of the more labor intensive steps like the life cast.

Yeah man! It seems to me that just about everyone wants to do the life cast but nobody knows how. I want to make this as easy on myself as possible, but I'll be damned if I drop a few car payments on a mask that I am not happy with. I don't know diddly about sculpting, hair punching, or anything like that so I will be relying heavily on this group. Thank God that we're close (S. Orange County to SD isn't too bad, especially if I take the train) so we can learn together.

By the way, did you ever get an answer in that thread on where to buy the materials?

I would suggest doing some research instead of "relying heavily on this group" the tutorials are here to help you. I would start by watching some Youtube videos and "how to" help pages on sculpting. Join other forums such as the RPF, their is a wealth of knowledge out there. You shouldn't rely on other people to do the work for you. Wink
Jaguar ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Okay. I hope that I didn't give the impression that I want someone to do it for me. I have already learned a ton just from reading and watching how others have done things. I am not a check writer. I wouldn't have the same level of pride if I just bought a costume. I'm in it for the experience.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifecasting is fairly easy. There are number of kits out there, some with videos included. I recommend checking out http://brickintheyard.com They have alginate kits and silicone lifecasting kits.
The best thing really is to watch a video demonstrating lifecasting.

In addition to the tutorials section and http://rebellegion.com/chewie I also recommend getting sculpting advice from http://www.theeffectslab.com/forums/

I've also been working on a new Chewie costume and a new Chewie Costuming Resources page:
https://sites.google.com/site/solochewy/costuming-guides/chewbacca
Once it is complete it will replace the existing page, but there is some info there that you might also find useful.

Try to find a video on the topic you are wanting to learn. There is plenty of stuff on YouTube and other sites, and there often professionally produced DVD's available from most special effects supply houses. The rise of youtube has been the single greatest thing to happen to this hobby since the internet. There are so many things that can be clearly and easily explained with a 30 second video. Things like hackling and latch-hooking, life-casting, mold making. There is no replacement for seeing someone else do it.

Most of us who made our costumes didn't know any of this stuff either. the key is to read up everything you can, ask any questions you might have, and then just jump in. Post regular progress updates with photos as you go. The research can only get you so far; a lot of this has to be learned by trial and error.

Also bear in mind that fall is a busy time for many in the Legion. Many bases/garrisons have events just about every weekend due to all of the various holidays, and work tends to get busier for a lot of folks around this time. So responses might not be as frequent as other times of the year. Just keep bugging us until we post.
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT advise, thanks Matt.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it has been a few days, I have been pretty busy with the hair punching. Here are a few updated photos, as always I welcome your input and suggestions.

This is a photo from the end of the first day of hair punching. I am using crown needles that I bought on the web. they work but I am not totally sold. the number of times I stick the needle into the mask for compared to the number of times the punch takes seems to be pretty high. I think I am weakening the mask and I have caused a few tears. I did get a lot better as the night went on (there is a pretty specific motion that seems to work for me) If you do go with this needle I would practice on something other than your mask for a while first. Also be aware that thinner areas of the mask do not take well. Note the thin spots in this photo and the next one.

DSCN1838 by wookiediego, on Flickr

I just threw in a photo of the train wreck that is my work station. My wife really loved it when I moved or pub table into the living room so I could stand up and work with the TV in the background. She has been super supportive but I can tell she is ready for the project to be over.

DSCN1840 by wookiediego, on Flickr

This is the end of the second night of punching. (sorry for the poor quality photo, I will try to get a better one later today) You can see some of the thin areas pretty clearly. Thanks to some advice I have turned the mask inside out and I applied a layer of silicone adhesive. I am hoping that will reinforce the thin areas of the mask and allow the punches to take better. I am also going to have to use glue in a few areas. ***I would really appreciate some advice on glues for this process*** It would also be great if you know where to look, beauty store, craft store, home depot etc. So far I have heard that super glue works but you have to move fast, I would love to know if there is something more forgiving as I am not really that confident in my skill.

DSCN1847 by wookiediego, on Flickr

Today I am going to let the silicone reinforcement dry for a while then give the hair punching around the eyes another go. I am also going to start working on the mustache and the bridge of the nose once I get some glue. Right now I am distressing my bandolier so it has more of the "used universe" appearance. (I feel like I am defacing a Monet, SORRY MEL!!!)

I want to thank everyone for all the help, I would not have gotten this far without you. A special shout out to Ben who has been Johnny on the spot with replies in this thread and various behind the scenes PM's. I really love this community and how friendly it is. I hope to be able to give back more as things tie up with my project. I already started witting a tutorial on hair blending just need to add in some photos.
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good progress so far Sam. Remember, I would only use super glue as a last resort and very little at that for super stubborn areas. Chris posted Duck's site on another thread and he mentions something about Sil-poxy glue and there are great tips on needles too. I used the same needle as Duck and never had a problem.

http://thinkingapeblues.com/WOOKIEE_WORKS.html
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched over to a homemade needle like the one you used and it is working well in the problem areas. Going is slow but there is progress!

The silicone backing I applied deformed a few areas of the mask so that is a bummer but I still don't think I would have gotten it done any other way. Hopefully it will relax a bit. I have pulled the nose bridge back into shape with a little stitch so that is good. Now I have to do some work around the eyes.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I was able to get my costume somewhat presentable so I could take my little man out trick or treating in it on Halloween. In a lot of ways that little trial run just demonstrated how far I have to go, especially where the hair on the mask is concerned.

I am still working on things and I will post updates hopefully in the near future just wanted to let you all know I was still out here.

I am heading out of town for a bit so I will probably not get a chance to post again till around Thanksgiving.

Thanks again for all the help

sam
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering the other day how the progress was going, I'm anxious to see pics.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I have a pretty badly broken finger (required surgery) so there has been no progress. It is even more frustrating since when all is said and done I will be off work for around 2 months. Hopefully I will have some dexterity back in the second half of my recovery so I can get some work done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: