About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f1837789a5bc48038c41646c710d4b0dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Admiral Ackbar Belt build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanTheMan (Dan King)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Admiral Ackbar Belt build Reply with quote

My Admiral Ackbar costume was recently approved. I purchased most of the part online, but decided to fabricate the belt boxes out of ABS plastic I had left over from a previous project.

Ackbar’s belt is made up of 5 belt-boxes; three identical rectangles in the center, and two odd-shaped side-boxes. There are not many detailed pictures of the side boxes.

Here are some pics of the original costume when it was on display as part of the “Star Wars: The Magic of Myth” exhibit:

I decided to get some screen-shots from the BluRay of ROTJ to get a better idea of the shape of the side-boxes. This turned out to be more difficult then I thought. After screwing around unsuccessfully with various screen-capture software, I went old-school and took some pictures of the TV screen:

Then I made some drawings and scale paper stencils. I also make some paper models to make sure everything fit correctly before I started cutting plastic:

Paper model of "side-box" without the round bit..

I also needed two perfectly round, 4-inch diameter, ¾ inch wide plastic “puck” for the back of the side-boxes, but had no idea what to use. I figured there had to be something out there I could use. Whenever I was out-and-about, I was always looking for something: Container lid, cosmetics case, kids toy, PVC pipe end cap, anything!. They would need to be hollow, since a fabric belt had to weave through it, so I couldn’t use something solid like a piece of wood.
I found a pile of “mosaic coaster molds” in an art supply store. I don’t know what a “mosaic coaster mold” is, but if you glue two of them together, you get yourself a hollow, 4-inch diameter, ¾ inch wide plastic puck! (And they were only 56 cents each!)

After gluing them together, there was a lip that needed to be trimmed away. Dremel to the rescue!

Side-Box pieces:

Center-boxes frame:

Belt taking shape:

After waiting a few days for the glue to dry, I used a heat gun to soften the plastic and glue down the curve on the side boxes. I needed to clamp it in place, (yes, those are legos):

Started sanding down the corners on the center-boxes:

Sanded the corners of the side-boxes and added the "puck". Also cut some slits for the belt.

Ready to be primed and painted:

Finally, with fabric belt woven through. It fastens using Velcro. The center-box hides the overlapping ends so the belt looks seamless from the back:

I plan to put some buttons on the top of the side-boxes if I can find some good reference pictures.

Here are some pictures from Ackbar’s first troop at the Intrepid Museum in NYC, (the eyes in my mask fogged up, damn it!):

More pictures and video from that troop:
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37341&highlight=intrepid
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good work on the belt!

And a very good overall looking Ackbar, too!

But....where is the trap? Razz
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Lonescout (Angelo Marcano)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice belt build!

Former BSN Admid.
Admrl Snackbar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!

I have made my belt same way.

--It's a snackbar! Admrl Snackbar on your service--
mrbungle ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is awesome, i will be doing an ackbar sometime late this year.
Echo Base CO
Echo Base CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Build Reply with quote

Really nice work Dan! Can't wait to see it.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nice...
and even more nice of you to share this with others!

GREAT job!!

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: