About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d72546fdcdb1d38e78ac73832159c8d9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A Twitchy Solo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twitch (Jagen Ordo)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: A Twitchy Solo Reply with quote

Since the amount of questions I have is steadily rising, I decided to open a WIP thread for my Solo build.

Already have ordered a buckle set that looks good, and lets me make any of the Solo belts. A droid caller clip is also included.

Decided to go with the Evolution Props Droid caller, since it had positive feedback on the forum.

The patterns for the 701 Falcon Jacket from Dawn Anderson Designs arrived a few days ago, just waiting for a chance to hit the store for twill.
Which raises my first question. What colour should I use for lining the jacket?
Also, if somebody could explain the yardage chart to a non-American, I'd be very grateful.

Since I don't trust resin props, and modifying softairs is illegal in Germany, I'm saving for a Denix Mauser to mod into a DL-44, ESB version.
Is this detail kit by Evolution Props accurate, or should I steer clear of it?
http://www.evolutiontoys.com.ar/index.php?id=item&item=370
Since we're already discussing EP blaster stuff, is their ESB flash hider yay or nay?

"Dat is die richtige Einstellung. Denn wenn dat net klappt beschleunigst Du op Lichtjeschwindigkeit!"
- Darth Vader
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision to start with a Denix, nothing beats the feel of a metal blaster. Cool (If you deactivate the Airsoft, you can modify it. And iīm pretty sure there speaks nothing against modifying even a working one, as you add only greeblies, and not tweaking any of itīs funktions - but that doesnīt matter, as ALL available Airsoft are the wrong Mauser Modell)

Regarding your question for the greeblie-parts:

Itīs wrong, but you can use it, in a certain way. If they include the double piston with the single piston, than you can use the single piston on the ROTJ blaster and throw the double piston in the junk (or part box). For the ESB blaster you can use the double piston and throw the single piston in the junk (or part box). No idea if their pistons are accurate in size, this problem is not related to size.

Some pics for explanation:

This is the right side of the ROTJ iīm building at the moment from a MGC-Mauser, you see a single piston

And this is itīs left side, please notice that here 2 additional single pistons are used (and rotated by 90°), not their double piston

Next the ESB blaster, this is the right side - no piston, just the scopemount

And the left side (my first take on a Solo blaster, based on a Denix-Mauser), here you see the double pistons

Thatīs the main points, additional to the detail-questions. Something i see on all their products, nice machined, for sure nice looking, but not for the real accuracy-nuts, then the devil is in the details. Wink
But nonetheless usable for costuming (and sometimes you just have to grab/buy what is available due to the lack of other parts). Their ESB flashhider looks not bad.

Thats how the pistons on a ESB blaster should look like (the greenish plastic ones are the same modelkit-parts as used in the movie):

I hope that my post helps you in any way. Laß mich wissen wenn ich dir helfen kann, dann durchwühle ich mal meine Teileboxen.

Have a nice day,
Michael

Last edited by Lichtbringer () on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it looks like their pistons are stuck together instead of seperated. I really don't think many would notice though. I would consider getting 2 seperate ones if you go go with the double pistons.

Their Flas hider looked ok as well...

There just are not a ton of places these days that sell this stuff... so sometimes you have to take what you can get I guess.
Twitch (Jagen Ordo)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can live with the stuck together pistons.
Glad the flash hider's okay.

Scope mount looks easy enough.
Now, where does a scoundrel with a twitchy trigger finger get a scope?

"Dat is die richtige Einstellung. Denn wenn dat net klappt beschleunigst Du op Lichtjeschwindigkeit!"
- Darth Vader
GoneSolo ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A Twitchy Solo Reply with quote

Twitch wrote:
Already have ordered a buckle set that looks good, and lets me make any of the Solo belts. A droid caller clip is also included.

Good luck with the build. Can't wait to see it all together!

Who is the source for the buckles?
Twitch (Jagen Ordo)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the ones mentioned in this thread.
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33146
Haven't arrived yet, so I can't say anything concrete about the quality.

The blaster is taken care of.
Thanks again, Lichtbringer!

- Darth Vader
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iīm glad that it goes to a good home.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itīs ready, i spend some hours in the shop this weekend (and made the Mrs. a little bit angry cause of that Surprised ).

Milled a new scopebracket with a accurate fastening knob

And while i was working on it, i made a new "motor coil"-greeblie from metal, to replace the resin one

Looks not that bad, i think. Very Happy

A detail that the Denix are missing to the real Mauser, and the MGC, is the release of the movable mag-bottom - it is plain flat.

i scribed the line, and drilled a hole

made the release pin

And thatīs the way it looks, your gun is now one of the very few Denix/Blasters with correct bottom details Wink

Btw. - i read at the rpf that someone has problems with a evolutionprops flashhider, itīs bore is to small to slide over the slighly tapered Mauser-barrel to the right place. If you want, you can send it to me and i take care that it fits correct on your gun.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Twitch (Jagen Ordo)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! Definetly worth the money!

Well, I'll see if the flash hider fits once I got it.
Depending on barrel width etc, I might be able to adjust it myself.
After all, wouldn't want the Mrs. to get angry enough to harm you Wink

- Darth Vader
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iīm glad you like it. Very Happy

She already calmed down - it happend mainly cause i usually say "iīm in the shop for 1 hour" ...... and then i forget about time while working, staying there for many hours. Wink

Have a nice day,
Michael
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...

Since you can make a knob like that, what's the chance that you could make a bottom plate for the Evolution props Droid caller? I just ordered one of them just like Twitch. I havent' seen it in person yet as I just ordered it, but I figured I would at least ask to see if you'd be interested.

This of course is only if you are able to make said piece without angering your better half...

Very Happy
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my real one

I have no idea whatīs the size and other details of the EP-caller are - has it a threaded hole on itīs bottom? Otherwise you would have to drill and tap precise in the center, if you can do such work. If not ... you only can glue it.

To make a disc with "some" ribbing/knurling around itīs edge is doable, but to replicate it really accurate would include a insame amount of hours. Only doable in CNC and at very high numbers (50+)

Iīve no clue what the price of the EP-caller is, but even a not accurate "lookalike" would not be really cheap. If i had to guess .... between 30 and 40€ for one with the identical number of notches around the edge.

Iīm not sure if it would be reasonable to spend such a additional amount for a EP-caller?

But atm. i couldnīt do it in any way. I just sold my lathe. Very Happy It might take some time until the new and bigger one will be delivered.

Havok69 wrote:
This of course is only if you are able to make said piece without angering your better half... Very Happy

Something i do on a nearly daily basis. Wink Mr. Green But some days itīs more dangerous to forget about the time spend in the shop than other days. Shocked

Have a nice day,
Michael
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:
To make a disc with "some" ribbing/knurling around itīs edge is doable, but to replicate it really accurate would include a insame amount of hours. Only doable in CNC and at very high numbers (50+)

Iīve no clue what the price of the EP-caller is, but even a not accurate "lookalike" would not be really cheap. If i had to guess .... between 30 and 40€ for one with the identical number of notches around the edge.

ok, just wondering. You're right - it's not worth the effort or price then. I've already spent enough on it, however I just can't do resin when a metal option, albeit somewhat inaccurate, is available (barring the real thing).
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:

Btw. - i read at the rpf that someone has problems with a evolutionprops flashhider, itīs bore is to small to slide over the slighly tapered Mauser-barrel to the right place. If you want, you can send it to me and i take care that it fits correct on your gun.

Damn! Where were you a few months ago?! LOL!! Razz There IS an issue with it fitting the Denix. I spent hours grinding down the barrel and boring out the flashhider with a dremel. Copious amounts of JB weld went into that!

Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandtrooperscout wrote:
Damn! Where were you a few months ago?! LOL!! Razz

Iīm sorry. Very Happy

But me beeing from Germany wouldnīt have helped you a lot on your side of the pond with a part from Argentine. Wink

Have a nice day,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: