Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=776262d5d72f0a1f456ca496b00250d6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Tatooine Poncho help?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurisuchie2kimi (Kristie)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Padme Tatooine Poncho help? Reply with quote

Hey guys.

I'm in the early stages of making Padme's Tatooine poncho, or the "Tusken Raider confession scene" outfit. I'm kind of lost with how to make a pattern for the poncho - I'm pretty new to costuming, and sewing in general, so I'd appreciate it if anyone has any tips - or even a pattern they've made - that could help?

Thanks!!! Very Happy
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I made my costume I didn't use a pattern at all. Now this was the first time I tried to make a costume, so there were a lot of mistakes. Anyway for the outer part I simply layed down on folded fabric and drew the outlines. Then I used a pair of scissors for the neck and front V-shapes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's certainly different haha!! I'll keep it in mind, I hope I can get some sort of pattern though haha!

Thanks, Obi Anne Smile
Coranz (Jackie Chapman)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you had a look at Maggie's Padawansguide site? Her site i awesome!!!

http://www.padawansguide.com/blue.shtml

C

Twitter me This!

*Has a weakness for Disney Songs*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh another New Zealander! Hi! xD

Yeah I have, I look at that site religiously haha!! I'm such a beginner though that I can't figure out patterns for myself, i'm still in that awkward "Need it or paper or does not compute" stage of sewing xD
Coranz (Jackie Chapman)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! New Zealand! Very Happy

Maggie made this costume as well, and her making off page is very good - http://www.costumersguide.com/maggie_costumes/blue_makingof.html

She has put some good patterns for the poncho on there as well Very Happy
if you need any help with the patterns, I can help Very Happy

C

Twitter me This!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this one, I'd first take a fabric you don't care about (like muslin or some cheap cotton) and play around cutting out the right shapes/sizes before you cut out your actual one.

For the embroidery, just start looking at all the references online and start making your own templates of what stuff is supposed to look like, colors, etc. Hand embroidery takes a long time but it looks SO much nicer than just painting it on!

"I dislike smiling. It contorts the face."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rachel, good tip haha Smile I'll keep it in mind, and thanks for the tip about the embroidery vs painting Smile

Jackie - thanks so much for offering help! I just tried looking for the pattern Maggie used for her poncho, and I cant find it on etsy or trade me (not hugely keen on ebay, but i'd use it if I had to) - do you know any patterns similar? Thanks!!

EDIT: Naturally, as soon as I search for it on ebay, there it is!! Smile I'll see if I can find any other pattern that matches before I buy this one, just in case.
Coranz (Jackie Chapman)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a Spotlight where you are? They have some patterns there (2 for 1 sale going on there as well Very Happy)
if you want to buy them online, www.sewingpatterns.com is a good place...its a US site, but cheap.
I'm not sure if the exact pattern would be there, but other's close would be Very Happy

Another one, would be the brands actual sites - www.mccall.com houses Vogue, Butterick and McCalls so if you want to find a pattern that looks like a costume before buying it in store, go there Very Happy
Also, Kwik Sew has a site, and so does Simplicity Very Happy

C

EDIT: Sorry, that McCall link was wrong...fixed now

Twitter me This!

Last edited by Coranz (Jackie Chapman) on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I do Jackie, didnt know they had a sale! Awesome, will make a point of going this weekend Very Happy

Awesome, thanks for your help Very Happy
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to embroidery vs. painting, it should be noted that some of the markings are probably painted on the original. One has to take your own skill into consideration for what would look best, personally I suck at painting but I'm pretty good at embroidery for example.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also talk to Beret (LeiaYT1300), she just made one and wore it to Dragon*Con and it's excellent Smile

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi Anne - thanks for that Smile I'll probably test out my fabric painting skills on a test piece of similar material before I decide on embroidery or painting, don't know if I'm any good at either haha!

Vera - Thanks!! I'll send her a message Very Happy
Akasha ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is always best to make anything that you sew in an inexpensive fabric first. Can save a lot of heartache.

kurisuchie2kimi wrote:
Oh my gosh another New Zealander! Hi! xD

Yeah I have, I look at that site religiously haha!! I'm such a beginner though that I can't figure out patterns for myself, i'm still in that awkward "Need it or paper or does not compute" stage of sewing xD

Last edited by Akasha () on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i'm definately going to do that Smile

I just bought a pattern - Kwik Sew 2262. I'm going to get my mum to help me modify it, and hopefully that'll be my pattern!

Thanks everyone for your help so far, hopefully sometime (eventually haha) I will have some pictures to show off!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: