About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=440b8206bc9eaecf438002035017a27bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

DCO for Shadow Unit 77 - passing the torch...2011

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Elstree Base -> Elstree Base Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: DCO for Shadow Unit 77 - passing the torch...2011 Reply with quote

Greetings UK troopers

All of you know of my current situation and will have read this on the RL UK forums. As my circumstances havent changed, I am still in the process of raising finance by the sale of various costumes I have.

It is with regret - not by choice but by necessity - that I sold my RFT costume yesterday to a good friend who will re-enlist the costume back to Elstree Base and I hope choose (and be encouraged) to join Shadow Unit 77. Therefore, for the first year since the detachment was created I will no longer be an RFT member. Crying or Very sad

As there are current elections ongoing, it is actually the first time in the history of the detachment that there has been an alternative candidate for the role of DCO. Both Steve Burns, my predecessor, and I have held the role of DCO while we both also held the role of XO of the UK base at the time too (and I also was base CO too during that time! Many hats and too little time!). Even finding an DXO was at times impossible - there wasnt one last year or I think this year too actually. Perhaps this may change and the DXO may also take the same positive route.

We did this not as titles to be gathered, but by necessity and a passion to maintain the unit and avoid it being dissolved. No one else stood up to be counted at the time, despite encouragement.

It is encouraging though at this point in time to have Andy Stobbs show such a positive approach to the role of DCO and wish to take on the challenge. As Andy aspires to have the commitment, pride, honesty and desire to grow the unit I am pleased therefore to be able to pass over the role to him and wish him all the best in the role. With a strong UK CO in the role now in her second term who is seeking more growth and involvement from the detachments as mentors, I am sure that Andy will be able to manage these expectations and do the RFTs proud.

Having encouraged both newbies and current members here to become RFTs, its great to Andy - as one of those I encouraged to create the costume and get cleared - finally step up to the plate to do the role justice and give it the time it deserves, where Steve and I had way too many commitments within the UK base to do so previously.

I'll close with just a few final thoughts for all SU77 troopers...

While trooping one event each year to retain RL membership does not breach census/membership criteria, it is positively encouraged that you choose to represent the RFTs at club events where you are able to attend. If you are genuinely proud, then troop for the RL UK - the real rebels - and show it where you can.

Be active online across other forums too to recruit and promote RFTs - you might even get a sig bar created to do so?
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21630

No-one knows you exist otherwise as an RFT, people cant expect to have a known or respected presence in the club otherwise. While posting online isnt a requirement of membership, it is an expectation to be involved in a club where you have a role to play. The role of a DCO should largely be 'online' and therefore troopers should both seek and receive their advice, guidance and encouragement where that may be necessary at each point where you may need it. Post/ask away in the forums and access the multitude of shared knowledge.

Its your club and what you make it - if you genuinely want your fellow and future unit members to flourish. Its not just where the topic of RFTs may be relevant, be pro-active and encouraging across all the forums - not just in the RFT area.

It is expected that the resources available for RFTs are promoted and shared. We have an open UK based forum largely for non-members where this may grow and perhaps could be replicated or signposted. We have never really had any 'build' threads put up to speak of, it would be nice if this changed. Share your tips, skills and resources!

Contribute to communication forums and newsletters - by all means necessary.

Spread the word about RFTs - there is much to learn. Go and report. You have much to see. Burn brightly.

Good luck guys, I hope that in the next year I see things improve and the unit grow. Time will tell. Proof is in the pudding and I hope it becomes a nice pud given time to bake and rise with the right ingredients. Wink

Rebel Legion Council Emeritus : Base Command Liaison Officer - 2007/08
Rebel Legion UK Emeritus : Commanding Officer - 2005 to 2009
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Elstree Base -> Elstree Base Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: