Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1fa2235f9414da3dd229d03309038874Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Seven's Y - wing quest
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seven skulls ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Seven's Y - wing quest Reply with quote

I've always thought that the Y wing helmet was the coolest thing since sliced bread. The one on display at Star Wars in concert solidified my desire for the costume.
It took some time to acquire the Richies Y wing kit. I won't go into details.
Crimson Phoenix had started a very good build thread which is a lot of help. I intend to finish what was started.
Here I am with the kit just taped together, all excited, yippee

Time to cut it up. Chin comes off and the length of the chin got shortened 1/2" on each side.

Rounding off the front of the chin after the cutting has been done and the halves of the bucket are glued together. I am using plastizap for construction. It doesn't melt the styrene like ordinary model glue and is formulated for plastic work. I've used it before to glue together plastic model conversions for rocketry contests. It is strong stuff.

Unfortunately the left half of the bucket was excessively trimmed. whistling I'd have liked to have done that myself. I'll be filling that in too. After much styrene surgery and gluing my finger to the helmet a couple times we have a proper chin.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. The Y-wing helmet is a pretty cool helmet, no doubt.
Good luck with it.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seven skulls ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Bringing us to today... Reply with quote

I added some more pieces to the chin to get it closer to being ready to be filed status.

Added that little bit around the left temple to fill the overtrim.

Now working on the remove the rib on the top of the helmet. I glued in some pieces of plastic to the inside of the helmet to stabilize the thing before cutting notches down the middle of the offending rib. I mixed up some "fix it" epoxy putty and worked some into the crack then clamped it down (hopefully flat)

While the rib is drying I mixed up another batch of the super sticky "Fix It" and applied it to the chin. I've worked it over a bit to smooth it out since this pic was taken but you get the idea.

seven skulls ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Thanks Blue leader Reply with quote

I appreciate the encouragement.
I was looking at the bucket on my workbench this morning wondering if I can get it done and painted by the end of October. Whew, I don't know.
Just for a display at a fantastic troop we have going on then.
I still need to work on my flight suit.
GhostRider01 (Luis Alejandro Mendoza)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty nice job bro is good to see another ROTJ pilot Awing

Formely Know as Sgt. Siul Azendom
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one of those buckets awaiting conversion myself. Keep going, it's keeping me interested in getting started. (Besides, I could use it with the B-wing costume I'm working on as well.)

seven skulls ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Rib on top fixed Reply with quote

So when I left off I had cut a line down the center of the rib on the side of the bucket. Sort of a "T" actually. I mixed up some "Fix it" and squeezed it into the gap filling the cavity under the cut. Clamped it overnight and voila'

I actually fix each cut in two steps as it is so long and curved I can't clamp it the entire length in one step. Pretty slick.
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good!

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
miqt (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck brother! Y wing buckets are great- hopefully we will see a lot more pilots troop the greys!
Mike
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I better get serious about looking at that flak vest...
lol..
but that will probably have to wait till winter rolls into our area and I am inside more...

I am hoping with the BluRay that more images will become available?

I purchased the BluRay complete saga...but at the moment have nothing to play it on...so I would have to rely on screen captures that others post.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
seven skulls ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: More progress Reply with quote

My bucket is in bondo now but I took these last week. The ridges along the sides of the helmet have been flattened nicely. I still need to do some trimming around the face and then comes fitting that face shield. I had better come up with something good for that. Any pointers on that part? The greeblies that came with the bucket didn't exactly come with directions either. I can see where a few of them go but I'm stumped on others.

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really looking nice. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miqt (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep banging away at it brother, its coming along!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: In bondo we trust Reply with quote

I've been smoothing out the bucket with some bondo.
The second application has been sanded off now and I was reviewing the fit of the visor. It isn't pretty. Does anyone make a visor that actually looks like the real thing? The RA supplied visor is too flat, it ought to be bent in half in the middle.
Anyhow, here are a couple pics,

I wasn't happy with the way the edge of the side of the helmet wasn't lining up so I added bondo to crispen it up.

I've sanded this all out since these were taken.
Next thing to worry about is adding that terminal strip connector to the top of the helmet. There is a shop near my home that has every nutty electrical do dad you may ever want. I'm hoping they'll have something similar.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job so far. Smile

You can find the black connector thing on Ebay. It's a Amp 201358-1 Conn Housing Plug 50 POS. At least that's what it looks like to me, anyway...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: