About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e9d357fef4b81178f04cd84d6efd64aeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP I: TPM Pre-Senate & EP III Queen Apailana Q&A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

This costume doll site has a Pre-Seante doll and patterns for the doll costume.  The patterns of the kimono and penguin sleeves(pattern 2)  may help in making the full sized pattern.  http://www.molendrix.com/coruscant1.html  The sleeve shape and the scoop in of the armhole are quite accurate.  

Need to find where the doll maker got that "mauve silk", it's a great match!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jauhzmynn ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Thank you VERY much for these posts of fabric and tips. It's incredibly helpful.
kreleia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Yes it is!!!  And, thank you ALSO for asking Trisha Biggars about Apailana's fabric.  That one's been giving me headaches for months now.  Good to know that looking elsewhere and using something "close" is going to be the most viable option.

...but just watch me give up that easily.  Very Happy

BTW, I went to "Dressing A Galaxy" about 10 days ago, and got down on my knees (I was almost lying on the floor) in order to see if my theory about the sleeves being three pieces was right.  It IS!!!!  So, not only is there a front and a back panel, there's a panel on the inside of the sleeve (closest to her body), giving the sleeve a 3-dimensional triangular shape.  I almost cried.  I was SO RELIEVED!!

If this is old news to everyone else, then I'm a fool - but hey, I felt vindicated.     Although, I think the staff was ready to boot me out of the museum.  I just kept going back to the kimonos over and over and over...  heh.  Well, I know I wasn't the first  **winks at Mary Alice** and I certainly won't be the last.
kreleia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Ooooooh - just checked out the TFN costuming and props board - looks like this gown has garnered quite a few more active followers!  YAY!!!!  A large job is always made easier when several people begin helping.  WOOHOO!!!

(tried to post, but boards are down for maintenance, it seems)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Over the years, this costume has gone from being one of the more obscure Amdiala's to the most featured one (thanks to Trisha Biggar picking it for the book cover). And I'm looking forward to seeing lots more great reporo's of the costume.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kreleia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Same here!  It'll be fun to see all the Pre-Senate Amidala's walking around at various cons next year.  Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Hip, Hip, Hooray! Flash Photography. They allowed 1 hour's worth of flash photos for FIDM members on Fan Day.

This album from "Miana Kenobi" (Rachel on JC board)  http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=eg1smzw.xosk94k&Uy=-51k3jx&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1 has a photo that shows the Pre Senate Obi where you can see it's silvery, like it looks in person. (my photos picked up the yellow lights in the room and showed the color different than what you actually see in person). I can't seem to link straight to the photo.

Jedi_Jaina09 ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Hi,

This is my first post here (though a long time lurker), but I've been working on this costume for quite a little while. I posted this on the tfn boards, but I figured I might get a but more of a response if I also posted here. I was actually shopping for jedi fabrics, when I found this on top of a pile of bolts at Mood fabric in NYC:

It's basically a white and metallic gold brocade. Above is actually a picture of the reverse or "wrong" side of the fabric. I have a scan of the right side of the fabric here. It's the closest match to the obi fabric that I've ever stumbled across. The pattern is a bit big (I estimate about twice the size of the actual pattern) but overall it is still a great match.

edit: spelling
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

That fabric could work.  It look kind of drapey/soft, so you'll need a stiffer backing fabric. The original obi is made from metallic thread see Exhibit Photos  

I was thinking that my obi backing fabric also needs to be stiffer after seeing it in person.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by kreleia on 22 July 2005

Hey Mary Alice!

And, yeah - the biggest roadblock for her has been that fabric!   (if you can stand a little sillyness, here's the link to the local thread we've been keeping track with - most of my Apailana fabric findings are on page 3 of burninator, I challenge you...)

I was poking thru the burninator, I challenge you... thread and there are a few interesteing fabrics noted there:

Good work, were getting closer

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Always on the hunt for fabric for the Pre-Senate:

Click on fabric swatches for more info

There was also some nice crinkled fabric that could work for the bottom layer http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/Catalog_items.aspx?Query=Crinkled+Silk+Organza

scarlet ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

i have been slowly cracking away on this costume myself, for, well, at least three months. it's taking a while since i'm hand beading everything.

it's been a nightmare to find the right obi fabric, and i've accepted the fact that i'm going to have to remake it again someday for accuracy.

i was, however, able to find the perfect kimono fabric at-- i'm not kidding -- wal mart. for $1 a yard. i bought the whole bolt, i was so excited. the reverse side of the fabric was even perfect for the Packing gown. sweet!

ditto for the bluish/crinkle fabric. my heavens! i love walmart sometimes.

anyways, i was wondering what people had used on the golden portions of the headdress?

also, how have you all dealt with the extra long braids in the back? the hairdresser wacked an obscene seven inches off my head without my permission, so i can't swing the perfect length anymore. i suppose i'll have to make some sort of extension piece.

more stuff on my head! i can't wait.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

scarlet good luck with the costumes and post pictures as you work on it.

In answer to your questions:

People use various items for the gold orbs on the side of the headpiece:

• Craft store big plastic Easter eggs sprayed gold

• Paper mache sprayed gold

• I used blocked buckram cocktail hat frames and covered them with gold vinyl that was stretched and stitched on the same way I make a real cocktail hat

• I tend to use millinery supplies for my costumes, since I have them on hand from other hats I make.

For the hair, unless you have supper long hair, you will need to add hair extensions into your own hair or build a wig into the headpiece. Even though I now have shoulder length hair (was much shorter back in 2000), I still just tuck my braided hair under the braided wig that I made from hair extensions glued to the blocked felt crown/skull cap that is the base of my headpiece (again another millinery technique).

Jauhzmynn ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Walmart can have some amazing finds, then they dry up for a LONG time.  I once stumbled over a 20 yard bolt of silk for $1 a yard.  I had NO clue it was until i burned a small part.  Then later dyed it with some silks, saw how it easily took the colour  and saw the sheen in the sunlight.  yep silk.

I find crinlke cotton/cotton gauze.  For this gown, I'll have to buy  the lining silk form Dharma trading company and dye it.   It might work for the under blouse (mauve thing) and the crinkly skirt.  The tafita silk, I'll have to keep hunting fvor becasue of it's werid coouring with the weft and warp.:-/

In the meantime, I'm hunting for the beads and start beading for the headdress. 

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

scarlet  over at the Dragon*Con Parade list, you said you will be wearing the costume.  

Is it finished? Almost finished? Can we see any photos?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: