About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ee4a94df93851920c6a6ca1e93f18462Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP I: TPM Pre-Senate & EP III Queen Apailana Q&A
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jauhzmynn ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate & EP III Queen Apailana Q&A Reply with quote

Edit:  here are the RL standards for this costume: http://www.rebellegion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8974
Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Photos of my per Senate costume are linked here Queen Amidala  

For the robes and gown I made:

• skirt and scarf for the pleated layer
  • full dress for 2nd layer
  • silk kimono (The silk dupioni I used is lavender/gray, but photographs pinkish/lavender. If I was to remake the kimono, I would take digital photographs of the fabric first; to find one that reads more gray.)
  • I started making my costume with out seeing the movie, using only this photo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/maladd/detail?.dir=55bb&.dnm=9860.jpg&.src=ph as refernece.
  • There are tons of good refererance photos available now: Coruscant

For headfan/crown I used:

• foam base for the hair fan, so it could bend when packed in suitcase.
  • the original headdress incorporates a pearl-embroidered panel from an antique dress, circa 1910. My headress is also made from using vintage beaded trim, intended for a dress front, circa 1910-20's. 

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kreleia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Hi Jauhzmynn!  **waves**

Hello Mary Alice!  Nice to finally be in a forum with you - I've been admiring your pre-senate gown for ages now.    (you and Holly from the TFN C&P board both have my immense admiration.)

I've recently begun the enormous project of doing this costume over from scratch.  I made it back in 1999, thinking that it wouldn't be that big of a deal to throw together.  Silly me.  I was a novice seamstress at the time, didn't yet own a sewing machine, and had absolutely no experience to draw from, or people to ask questions.

The costume was a disaster.

(I was so proud, until I saw Holly's gown first, then Mary Alice's gown not too long afterward.)

So, I've FINALLY come to the point where I'm wanting to do this again.  I've been posting on the Queen Amidala Pre-Senate Kimono thread over in the Costuming and Props forum at TFN, but hadn't thought to share until tonight (duh).

If there's anyone else here (Jauhzmynn) that would like me to post this information, just say so, and I'll be happy to.

kreleia  Smile
Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Welcome kreleia   Always feel free to add any finds you found to the appropriate threads, people always find them helpful .
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Thanks for the complement Kreleia.

Both Holly and I are eying Queen Apailana Ep III costume Queen Apailana of Naboo

The plus side for Queen Apailana: I already know how to make it, and have the patterns (somewhere)!

Of course, the only way I can justify making this one (which is really a re-work of the Ep I pre-Senate) is to correct all the thinks I did wrong or just plain didn't like about the way I made the Ep I costume. And with feathers for headpiece, it would be a heck of a lot lighter.

The minus side: I can't find gold/silver metallic herringbone fabric to make the Kimono. I have to do another search of the NYC fabric store. Last search I found a gold/silver metallic, but not herringbone, and it was $15 per yard. Since I need about 8 to 12 yards, I really would like a less expensive fabric.

Did you see Holly's fabulous Queen Jamillia costume she made for C3? http://www.sistersola.com/CIII/CIIIFri.html , there are also some photos of the Queen Apailana made by a Japanese woman.

And a photo (page 2) of the Japanese women in Queen Apailana and Queen Amidala Pre-Seante in my C3 album http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=queenamidala&AID=2396928

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kreleia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Hey Mary Alice!
I would LOVE to see the both of you do Queen Apailana's gown. I actually challenged a friend of mine to do that one, while I work on the Ep. 1 gown.    And, yeah - the biggest roadblock for her has been that fabric!   (if you can stand a little sillyness, here's the link to the local thread we've been keeping track with - most of my Apailana fabric findings are on page 3 of burninator, I challenge you...)

I actually looked for that fabric for a while, too, while digging around for a suitable diamond obi fabric, and the only thing I discovered was that the gold/silver brocade is done in an "arrow feather" pattern. Which, ISN'T FOUND ANYWHERE!!! **whimper** I found it on some indigo Japanese cotton kimono fabric... and that's it. grrrrr.
I think I'll take your suggestion and start combing the internet for metallic herringbone fabric. That was a search I hadn't tried before. Smile I'll let you know if I find any, and provide a link.
Oh, and YES!! I LOVE Holly's Queen Jamilla gown!! WOW!!! I swear the woman is Trisha Biggars in disguise sometimes. Very Happy
One of the girls - Nacchi, I believe - from the TFN C&P board just posted pics of her Ep. 1 Pre-Senate gown. It's quite pretty - apparently she picked Holly's brain a lot about the hair-fan, so the headpiece looks really really good. The rest of the gown is really nice too. One of her friends did Queen Apailana's gown, and they paraded around Comic-Con together. How fun!!
And I completely admire the C3 girl's Apailana costume - she really did an amazing job! It looks wonderful!
Oh, hey, are you going to Dragon*Con this year? Just wondering if I'll ever get to see the two Pre-Senate kimonos that I lust over up-close and in person.
kreleia Smile
kreleia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Okay, did some more digging last night, and came across two very good sources for possible Apailana fabric:

www.arabiannights.ca -and-

www.syriangate.com

Neither one of them have an exact match to the arrow feather pattern on Apailana's fabric, but they have gorgeous metallic silk brocades. Apparently, Syrian silk brocade is famous for this rich metallic look, so it's very likely that Apailana's fabric was collected from either a dealer, or Trisha took a trip along the silk road (which wouldn't surprise me).

I WISH I could see these fabrics in person!
Jauhzmynn ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Hey Kreliea,

I'm here too.:-)

I'm having serious trouble finding the fabric for Amidala's grey kimono's Obi.  If anyone finds it, could they get me some?   Or point to the source?

kreleia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Hey Jauhzmynn,

I've found the fabric... in the wrong colors. Never has a find EVER been so frustrating for me. I wanted to throw a massive temper tantrum. Still not sure how I didn't.

Over at Manhattan Fabrics, they have two nearly exact matches to the obi fabric, with the exception of color:

and here's a shot of the original from one of the museum displays (not sure if it was Magic of Myth or not - the shot is from one of the pics over at Padawan's Guide):

edit:  I updated with a better pic - this is from a very high resolution promo pic of Amidala and her handmaidens.  Gives a better idea of how dead-on the two above fabrics are.

Frustrating isn't it? I e-mailed them, asking if they knew about the gold/white, and they didn't. They wanted a swatch, or something from me, so they could see it. Obviously, I can't provide that. I finally found a really good picture, but I still don't know if that will work for them.

So, for me, I've searched for nearly two years now, and I've had it. I came that close, and it's just not within my grasp (unless Mary Alice decides to haunt the NYC garment district some more ). So, it's possible that it's out there, but I'm exhausted.

So, I just purchased a beautiful diamond brocade from "fabricmasterpieces" on eBay. It's a metallic silver background with beige/gold embroidered diamond shapes, and light blue accent stitches. Take a look at their eBay store and you'll most likely see it there. I couldn't pass it up. And even if it doesn't work, I can definitely find other uses for it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by kreleia on 22 July 2005

Hey Mary Alice!

And, yeah - the biggest roadblock for her has been that fabric!   (if you can stand a little sillyness, here's the link to the local thread we've been keeping track with - most of my Apailana fabric findings are on page 3 of burninator, I challenge you...)

kreleia Smile

1) Thanks for the link, it's nice to know my costume is considered FREAKING AWESOME!

2) I can't believe your hand beading strands for the headpiece, what dedication!

I just used fused AB pearl string, once they are twisted, just a few hand beaded accents was all that was needed. All my hand beaded accents were already part of the vintage bead work I used for the crown. There are small loops of beads around edge, so I threaded the fused pearl strings (double the finish length) through to loops then twisted. My headpiece is in desperate need of repair, so I will do photos as I replace and refurbish parts. (sadly, due to needed major repairs, my Queen costume will not be at Dragon*Con this year)

To make the costume I did:

• 3 months plotting how to make the costume

• 6 months to drive my self nuts not finding any of the fabric

• 1 day to madly shop for all the fabric and settle for 'in the spirt of' fabric

• 1 day to make pattern for foam for under hair on head fan

• 1 day to go to foam store and have foam cut

• 1 day to shop for white make- up*

• 3 weeks (every night all weekend) to make the head piece

• 2 weeks (every night all weekend) to make the robe/dress

Finished less than 12 hours before getting on a plane to a con. (Hence the mad 5 weeks to make the costume, nothing like a deadline to get my butt in gear).

*since have changed the make up and white powder I use 3 times. .

I still keep my eye out for the "right" fabrics, but I have not seen any cream geometric brocade/upholstery fabric for Obi. My compromise fabric was Indian imported silk with pearl beading in circle pattern (it's not diamond pattern, but it looks real looks pretty) .

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

WOW !! yet another pair of Queen Amidala Pre-Senate and Queen Apailana at Comic Con http://omnibuscortex.com/gallery/view.php?gid=15&phid=79

Nice job on the headpieces 

Jauhzmynn ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Very nice.,

It seems that gown is a tuffy to do but well worth all the hunt and effort of making.

Krelia,

it looks like it's pretty close.

kreleia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Ah yes! The Ep. 1 Amidala is "Nacchi" who's posted over at the TFN C&P board... once or twice. Honestly, she came into the Pre-Senate Gown thread, referenced her pic, said thanks to Holly for help with the headpiece and vanished... I wish she'd come back! Yeah, they both did really great work on the headpieces. I was really impressed with the metal portion of Apailana's headpiece - how the heck are they doing that!? I mean, thinking it through, it's probably not that difficult, but I sometimes have a hard time thinking outside of the box. I just keep seeing "professional metal-smith" all over the place. blah.

Jauhzmynn, I liked your idea of sharing fabric finds with each other too. If you're interested, I'll tell you my ideas and finds on the outer kimono fabric. Just lemme know! Smile
Jauhzmynn ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

Defiantly interested, pass them along.  DO you ahve AIM or Yahoo messengers?  We can chat that way in reletive real time.
kreleia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: EP I: TPM Pre-Senate Q&A Reply with quote

I have Yahoo messenger - my user name is "kreleia" (heh, go figure Wink ), but I'm very very rarely on. I'll check it once in a while, but it's been a long time since I actually chatted with anyone. I'm also on ICQ - my number is 4241456. Again, though, it's been well over a year since I've been on. I'll check my Yahoo stuff if you want to chat sometime.

As far as fabrics go for the outer kimono, I ordered three swatches from Denver Fabrics to get a really good idea of the colors - Silver/Black, Pewter, and Blue/Pale Pink. Here's the swatch images:

Black/Natural white: (I have a silver/black swatch that's no longer on their site - this is the closest to it I found)

The silver/black swatch that I have was a little too shimmery. Apparently, it's not available anymore anyway, but it's good to know that seeing it in the sunlight helped me to decide this, rather than seeing that it wasn't there anymore. It's a really beautiful silver, though. The white cross-threads look like they have some kind of shiny finish on them to help get the bright silver look.

Pewter:

The pewter is a very pretty, but very stoic, plain-looking grey. The cross-dye colors are black and cream silk, so the irridescence is just that - black and cream. Not really much to catch your eye, other than it's a very nice dupioni fabric. It just seems too plain to me.

Blue/Palest Pink:

I took the three swatches out into the sunlight this morning to compare the different sheens and colors, and in all honesty, I'm sold on the blue/palest pink. It has that beautiful light blue sheen to it that the original kimono seems to have, and you really can't tell that it's a blue/pink - it looks light grey. And since the cross threads are blue (kind of a greyish blue) and the very very pale pink, the irridescence is a pale blue. It's absolutely gorgeous. I keep trying to imagine it in a large piece to get a better idea of how it would look, and I think it would work really really well.

Now, obviously, it's all personal preference. But I highly recommend getting swatches from Denver Fabrics and from other places you find. I'm still looking around for fabric for the second layer, but I think I've found fabric for the bottom layer at Thai Silks. I just need to order swatches from them... which I haven't been able to do lately. (soon!) I'll post those when I get a chance. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: