About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=47713fe3ea03160708e905d481fd257cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Fake beards for Obi-Wan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navajo Bro ()
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Fake beards for Obi-Wan? Reply with quote

Silly question, I'm not actually looking to BE Obi-Wan or seek any kind of approval, but I recently got some parts to upgrade my Jedi and am going to do some informal stuff for certain troops using the CW Obi-General gear.

But it got me thinking, for those of us who can't grow beards (I have to be clean shaven for work, but honestly it would take me 6 months to even get stubble hahaha) what do they do for characters like Obi-Wan? Does anyone ever use fake beards?

Just wondering, because it is funny, when Joe Roa (who is white, but shaved head) wears his Jedi outfit all the kids refer to him as Mace Windu - seriously, like every single kid calls him that hahaha! I'm assuming most kids aren't that fussy and wouldn't care based if Obi-Wan didn't have a beard or had stubble instead of grizzly look Wink

TB/TI/TK/TS/TX/CC/BH-8869
501st Legion
Northeast Remnant XO

501st Legion Trooper of the Month - July 2012
Special Ops Squad Leader - October 2012
First Ever 501st Legion approved Snow Scout
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the official word would be, but I've noticed that half the Jedi get called "Obi-Wan" no matter what they look like! Very Happy
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used liquid latex and crepe hair to form a prosthetic beard. Initially it was one piece, but I find after long hours of trooping the smiling for pictures tended to 'droop' a little too much. But I then split it into 3 pieces - the goatee and 2 sides - and with liberal application of spirit gum, they stay pretty well. Some may also advocate using just the spirit gum and crepe hair, which is fine - I just want to make an easier time applying it and removing it than pulling individual hairs off my face. I also have bought some blonde to counter out the auburn crepe I currently use - I need to lighten it up, but am still working on the balance since Ewan's gets blonder as it goes towards the root of the hair, rather than being individual strands.

But I have found wearing the beard does mean the difference between 'take a picture with the Jedi' and 'take a picture with Obi-Wan' more often than not. Smile
Navajo Bro ()
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granny-Wan wrote:
I don't know what the official word would be, but I've noticed that half the Jedi get called "Obi-Wan" no matter what they look like! Very Happy

Yeah, I see that a lot too, lol. We only have a few Jedi that regularly attend our NER events, mostly Joe and I and occassionally Andres. We all have brown generic and even though I'm dark black hair crew cut I get called Obi-Wan anyway, and like I said - Joe has a shaved head so he's always Mace. It's just funny Razz

501st Legion
Northeast Remnant XO

Grey Paladin (Lucas Pamplona)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny indeed...
Even though my costume is based on Obi-Wan ep. III's, I'm both dark-skinned and bald. So, there goes Mace Windu...lol.

But I suppose people who attend the events don't really have to know/care about the difference, so I just accept it!

As for any beard you intend to use as a face character... I DO know that you can buy cheapo Santa beards, trim and dye those accordingly...and have a very nice-looking Obi-Wan-ish set of facial hair... Wink
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I'm in the same boat for facial hair. I'm 34 and just this last winter, I grew a goatee that wasn't terrible. I do not forsee a beard in my near future. So when I wanted to make an Obi-Wan, I decided to go with Ep I.
I do want to do an Ep II outfit, it's my favorite of his, and I will do fake facial hair for that.
I will make my own as I already have the crepe hair I used for previous costumes. I did just spirit gum and cut crepe because I needed a very clean shaven looking beard. But...after a while the beard started falling off due to sweat. And it was itchy as heck.
I have a friend in the theater that helped a Wolverine costumer I know make some fake chops using a mesh material, liquid latex and crepe hair. I will be doing the same thing for my fake beard when the time is right.
Also, I tried a Ben Nye prosthetic glue and I found it to work a lot better than spirit gum. You don't have to tack it down, you brush it on and wait for it to dry, brush on a 2nd layer and wait again. Then apply the prosethetic. Though...you do have to make sure you have it lined up before it touches your skin.
Anyway, although I don't have the details just yet on how to make your own just yet, my friend did tell me that you take the mesh material, brush a layer of liquid latex, add some hair, latex, hair and latex until you get the desired effect. I know that's not exact, but that's a start...I hope. Laughing
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would go for a fully plastic shapped beard... and go for the authentic TCW Obi look . I mean that man looked sharp , and his beard was sharper it could cut skin that thing siso sharp...
Jello (Tony)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granny-Wan wrote:

Yeah, ain't it the truth? I don't have a beard (probably couldn't grow a decent one to save my life either), but consistently get called Obi-Wan. Or Anakin. Depends on if I'm wearing the hood or not. lol

Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try.
Hollis DZC ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
Anyway, although I don't have the details just yet on how to make your own just yet, my friend did tell me that you take the mesh material, brush a layer of liquid latex, add some hair, latex, hair and latex until you get the desired effect. I know that's not exact, but that's a start...I hope. Laughing

I'm working on learning this technique. I need it for a Wyatt Earp outfit. I'm also trying to learn how to thread each hair individually on the mesh. It's how Kurt Russell's was made for Tombstone. I've got the special needle, etc.

So far, it ain't easy! I need to stop being excited and just be patient...steady now...
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollis DZC wrote:
I'm working on learning this technique. I need it for a Wyatt Earp outfit. I'm also trying to learn how to thread each hair individually on the mesh. It's how Kurt Russell's was made for Tombstone. I've got the special needle, etc.

So far, it ain't easy! I need to stop being excited and just be patient...steady now...

my guess would be, if you're doing the threading, it would be like wig making. I looked into that for a few things and decided right away that is not for me. I simply don't have the combination of great patience and motor skills required. Running the hair through the hackle I think I can deal with Laughing
but that's about it.
Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these fake beards okay, too? I'd really liked her's because it catches the animated TCW style really nice. Smile

GBY | Temple Assistant Master
KJO | Member

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
KDThompson ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have no experience dressing as Obi-Wan, I have done quite a bit of beards and facial hair for non-SW costumes. (Nothing against the stylized beard posted. That looks really awesome and doesn't look overly fake, which is nice. I'm just speaking based on what I know.)

Hand laying hair for facial hair is extremely time consuming and very labor intensive. Traditionally, it's done with spirit gum, one needs to blend 3 different colors of crepe hair to get a natural appearance, and all sorts of other stuff. While you achieve a beautiful, natural look, not terribly practical for trooping in or wearing all day at a convention without constant fiddling. In my experience, spirit gum only lasts about 1 -2 hours at best, and some people even can have allergies to it (like myself).

I've never used liquid latex. My mom has a bad allergy to it, and she often helps me get into costume. Plus, I don't know which of my friends may or may not have one, too.

Personally, I would suggest ordering a beard to use long term. To get through a full day at the con, I use Pros-Aid which is a surgical grade adhesive on the market.

If anyone would like, I could post pics of myself in and out of beard, but I thought I'd ask first because the particular 'after' pic wouldn't be of a Star Wars character.

(I also hope I haven't offended anyone by jumping in with so few posts on the forums. I simply wanted to offer my assistance if possible.)

>^.^<
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can only grow a mild goatee, and that's it - no sideburns, no cheek hair, nothing - so I keep relatively clean-shaven. Not only that, but my costume colors are distinctive and not much like Obi-Wan's at all. Yet STILL I am constantly called Obi-Wan. I guess that's just the only Jedi people can associate with in their minds, lol.

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Oday Sparrow ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that long ago I went to college dressed as old Obi-won, it took me a month to grow the beard and then dye all my hair white. But I have unusually fast growing hair Ben
Navajo Bro ()
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see some pix KD, and if you had any links to quality suppliers. Everything I searched ended up just being like the Halloween wigs you find at the stores, nothing really professional.

The few time's I've had to supply a Jedi specifically for an event I used the Old Obi-Wan costume, put some white hair paint (even though I have a mix of grey anyway when it grows out). My goatee grows pretty quick and is mostly white on the bottom, and with the hood up and over my cheeks it actually hides most of my face and does a good enough effect since you can't see anything but my goatee lmao Smile

501st Legion
Northeast Remnant XO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: