Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f9eff7da35f346f9410c107abdc74c5cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel Pilot holster
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need an edge beveler, Ed. Wink
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen wrote:
You need an edge beveler, Ed. Wink

Actually, no I don't. And I've never had a complaint from the people that got those work in progress holsters. So I'd say I was fine.

Blackstar Squadron
dankelzaga ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Preference Reply with quote

I just think it ultimately boils down to personal preference. I use the smuggler type low slung model myself. I like it, and the kids think it looks "cool" Cool works just fine for me. I even enjoy the extra pouches, droid caller etc...its small stuff, but adds an element of uniqueness. I just worked on weathering mine as much as possible to achieve the best worn look I could. I also feel like the low slung look for pic poses lol.

We were discussing the topic as you can tell below Very Happy

One Shot, One Kill: Ready to Die but Never Will!
RebelRach15 ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey pilots.
I'm from Tatooine Base and we have 6 xwing pilots in the wings at different stages of their builds.

The gun/holster extra feature definitely appeals. Seems the simple kind has the same shaped silver belt buckle as the rebel fleet troopers?

Cheers
Rach
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use the same belt buckle as the RFTs, or go with a pure rectangle or oval.

Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tython base need several holsters and have been looking at a few designs and discussions. We'll be making holsters for both DH-17 and DL-44 so we'll try and make a tutorial. There's a few things to consider. There are very few canon holster designs, and few costumes that allow it specify a design. The E-11 design seems to be the most commonly used design. Personally I'd rather rivet than stitch my design.

As such, I prefer the above posted design for a holster, more shaped and riveted.

Holster;

DH-17 in holster;

Tython Base Facebook Page
Tython Base Membership Officer
Tython Base founding Commanding Officer 2013-2014
Chip ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is a few years old but what are the limitations on holsters?
I have seen conversations about other blasters and holsters, are Kydex types based around a DH17 allowed or do they have to be leather based?
Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't much known about holsters. Apart from an E-11 and biker scout imperial holster and Han's holster there aren't a lot seen in the movies. I've seen clone troopers use solid plastic holsters built into their armour. The Legions recognise that holsters are needed so pretty much give us open slather where they are concerned. In general, I prefer brown leather holsters for Rebels and black for 501st. Although a black holster and belt matches the rest of the leather in an X-Wing pilot costume and looks better.

I am afraid that I don't know what Kydex is, can you explain a bit more please?

Chip ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krdex is thermoforming material that molds to the shape of the object and is used for variety of holsters, knife sheaths, tool holders etc. A Kydex example holster is:

Obviously these type holsters can be mounted in a variety of fashions. These to me are just more from a galaxy far far away than a leather holster Wink but obviously if it has to be leather it has to be leather Smile
Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I understand. We have to agree to disagree on this one, I think leather considerably enhances the look of just about any costume. ;p

However, as the animated clones use plastic holsters then I am certain that an in-universe Kydex holster should be acceptable by the Legions. I'd run it by a Legion Costume Judge to be completely sure but it does make sense.

As always when testing an idea with the LCJs it wouldn't hurt to try and track down three different in-universe references like the clone holsters to support your theory.

Chip ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Jason, it would be a dull world if we all liked exactly the same thing Wink thanks for the guidance I'll pose the question up through my base to the LCJs
Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What costume are you doing, Chip? Have you a WIP (work in progress) thread somewhere? Not here, obviously, as all of your posts are here. I always encourage new members to start a WIP in the international detachment costume area devoted to their costume, like the pilot area or the infantry area. That way you often get international opinion and support with your costume, and the LCJs specifically for that area weigh in informally and give guidance. I'd be surprised if we didn't l have someone comment on this thread in the near future. I prefer public discussion on forums rather than sending PMs through bases or other channels. That way all of us learn the answers and others can discover them in future.

Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What costume are you doing, Chip? Have you a WIP (work in progress) thread somewhere? Not here, obviously, as all of your posts are here. I always encourage new members to start a WIP in the international detachment costume area devoted to their costume, like the pilot area or the infantry area. That way you often get international opinion and support with your costume, and the LCJs specifically for that area weigh in informally and give guidance. I'd be surprised if we didn't l have someone comment on this thread in the near future. I prefer public discussion on forums rather than sending PMs through bases or other channels. That way all of us learn the answers and others can discover them in future.

Draeden Wren (Donald Wicks)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
Yes, you can use the same belt buckle as the RFTs, or go with a pure rectangle or oval.

I have a holster on order and need to make a belt. Any idea where I can find one of these buckles? Thanks in advance.

Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher. - Enfys Nest
Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got about a dozen for sale but shipping would be terrible... Wink

They're a Tandy buckle but don't easily come up on Tandy searches unless you know the exact code to look for. I can't remember it, but let me check and I'll get back to you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: