Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e4473ee35db0587027b631a3da003421Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

'off-the-rack' Han Solo (alternative to costumebase)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: 'off-the-rack' Han Solo (alternative to costumebase) Reply with quote

this seems to be a good alternative to costumebase, for off-the-rack han solo soft parts, at a similar price point.

they charge $128 for the pants, vest, shirt; you an also buy the pants and vest separately.

note: I've never dealt with them, so I can't vouch personally .. I just thought I'd throw it out there, for those considering costumebase.

seller page
http://myworld.ebay.com/cosplayying/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

list of SW items from this seller
http://shop.ebay.com/cosplayying/m.html?_nkw=star+wars&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

-=====-

to my eye the vest looks good (including pocket-on-pocket); the shirt looks good;
the pants include the riding seam, but are missing the pin tucks. (an easy fix)

the bloodstripes look like the 'iron-on' decal style found elsewhere on Ebay (ie: not embroidered).
this can still be accepted as Formal, as long as the boots have no zipper.
(also, it shouldn't be hard to cover that up with embroidery).

again: not necessarily an endorsement .. just throwing it out there.

-=cheers=-

Last edited by Cobalt60 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaxxa ()
Mos Espa Base XO
Mos Espa Base XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious how the quality is - that's quite a variety of clothing they offer (way more than just SW) and it's quite cheap even factoring in shipping.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys were recently mentioned in a Han Solo thread on the RPF. I would be very curious to see an informed (i.e. in person) review by our LCJ's, LMO, Detachment CO's, etc. with respect to how they measure up to the standards.

$128 for the shirt, pants, and vest seems quite low, but they are in China so perhaps the cheap labor over there explains it.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vest looks ok, but I worry about the pants. It does have a ridding seam, but it seems way far off the mark. I guess it’s hard to tell unless someone is wearing it.

I know we need to help people with costumes. I just do not think this is the way. We should encourage people to make and not buy IMO. Some costumes you can buy outright, but Hans pants need to be fitted... this is something that really requires to be made to size. I am just not a fan of one stop shopping..., which this seller is just that.

Props, boots and accessories to a costume... now those are things I can see encouraging people to buy if they cannot make. This IS a costuming forums still... and until we change our Mission and Vision we should continue to encouraging people to make costumes... IE.. pants.

my 2 cents

Bob
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
These guys were recently mentioned in a Han Solo thread on the RPF. I would be very curious to see an informed (i.e. in person) review by our LCJ's, LMO, Detachment CO's, etc. with respect to how they measure up to the standards.

$128 for the shirt, pants, and vest seems quite low, but they are in China so perhaps the cheap labor over there explains it.

yeah, that's where I got the link Wink hehe

I agree we should encourage people to make their own soft parts. (as we do);
you're never going to get a screen accurate costume by buying off-the-rack.
and yes, the goal of the RL is screen accurate costumes.

but as LCJ, I've been seeing way too many unmodified costumebase entries lately.
(2 more were denied last week) Sad

--> I'm always looking for alternatives Wink hehe
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have learned a few things since I joined the RL. Many of those things are ideas on how too. The other thing I learned is no matter how much info you put on the boards you will always have people who just do not read to learn that info.

The more choices we have for costumers the better... this is very true. So thanks for that Ryan. I just hope they realize the need for tayloring these costumes to fit better.

Bob
furystorm (Andrew Barton)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
I know we need to help people with costumes. I just do not think this is the way. We should encourage people to make and not buy IMO. Some costumes you can buy outright, but Hans pants need to be fitted... this is something that really requires to be made to size.

The wealth of knowledge I've found on this board already, with absolutely minimal digging and reading, has been greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to working diligently (in my diminishing spare time) on my Han. I'm grateful for the encouragement offered here as well as the level of professionalism and knowledge, as previously stated.

Just wanted to chime in on Bob's note to say that I intend to follow through on this endeavor in exactly that way. I'm going to be seeking out the talents of a qualified tailor to assist me in all of the clothing aspects of the costume. Boots and holster will be top quality and I will spare no expense. I know better than to attempt to work leather or sew my own clothing. I aspire to look absolutely authentic when making my debut as Han.

Wish me luck. Very Happy
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see your costume!

Take WIP picts whenever you can... many of us forgot to and we regreted it later on. Sad

Bob
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one who while I cant really make something from scratch, I CAN take something almost good and make it awesome. lol

Some things though off the rack you just cant fix. So I'd really like to see what these look like but at the same time I dont want to encourage anyone to spend the money on it, then end up having to start over anyway.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfie wrote:
I'm one who while I cant really make something from scratch, I CAN take something almost good and make it awesome. lol

Some things though off the rack you just cant fix. So I'd really like to see what these look like but at the same time I dont want to encourage anyone to spend the money on it, then end up having to start over anyway.

My worst fear from the picture is the ridding seam. I appears to be to wide on the back of pants, and unless the pants are extremely baggy... it may be an issue when altering them.

If I had the money I would buy a costume from them and do a break down... right now I am a bit tight with other projects taking priority right now.

Bob
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it looks like the riding seam is based off the "padding" on riding pants, similar to the suede on the Scout Troopers suits. It appears to curve back in to the inside around the middle of the thigh, instead of running down the back of the leg as it should.

CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

I would have to agree with sandtrooperscout, the riding seam is definitely off. Also, the elastic in the waistband isn't that great. Still, I have an e-mail in to this place to see if they can do the ESB version of the pants. I want them for a Luke Ceremonial costume. I don't costume as Luke, so I am not as concerned about accuracy. For the price, I would be willing to try them. If it works out, I'll pick up a pair, and offer an opinion of the actual product.

May the Force be with you,

Brian
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get them, please give us a review! I have to admit I'm curious as to the quality, and if its something that can easily be modified to be correct, it could be an easy way to add ANH Han to go with my ESB!

Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the shape of that riding seam in the back is like what Mark stated, it's more like the Biker Scouts riding patch. I would say with that being on there, it would be too difficult to modify to meet our standards. Which is too bad, because otherwise it doesn't look bad.
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seller once used pics of me in my Luke costume to advertise his version on his auctions!

After I told him to take them down, he finally did, and replaced them with pics of the Sideshow 12" figure!

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: