About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b16ce2e6d4b57588c6cc6d0be65abd26Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question from a Newbie about costuming standards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Blue Ridge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediMike76 (Michael)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Question from a Newbie about costuming standards Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I'm working on my first costume (generic Old Republic Jedi) to be able to join the Legion. I have a couple of questions.

I am looking at a pre-made Luke Skywalker lightsaber replica from Ep V, this has the D-ring on the end of it. I know that some of the old republic specific costumes call for the covertec cell phone holder, but I didn't see that listed under generic Jedi. Will the D-ring lightsaber on a proper belt clip fulfill the lightsaber requirement? Do I need a lightsaber that will light up like an FX saber, or is just the hilt enough for costuming standards?

I hope to have all of the costume parts before October so I can join the group.

A little about me, I'm from Burlington, NC. I'm a 35 year old single dad to an awesome 9 year old. I share custody of him with his mom. I am a retired Detective with the local Sheriff's Office, retired in 2006 due to a knee injury. I am back in school now majoring in Anthropology and Archaeology. I am active in my local Masonic Lodge, as well as the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry in Greensboro. I look forward to joining you guys and getting involved.

Thanks,
Michael Enoch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

Welcome! We look forward to you joining us.

I know Charybdis will be along to also answer your questions but let me answer one I know for certain. You do NOT need a lighted blade or even a blade to be approved as formal. You just need the hilt.

For the Old Republic Jedi you do need a covertec as far as I know. The folks in the Jedi forum would probably be a good source of that info.

Where are you going to school? My stepdaughter was studying Anthro at ECU.

~Jada

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
JediMike76 (Michael)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jada,

I'm at UNCGreensboro. Majoring more on the Archaeology side, since it is a subdiscipline of Anthropology, with the way they have it set up I can do the major in Anthro with the concentration in Archaeology, and add the second major in Archaeology with only one or two extra classes, and they can serve as electives, so in and out in the same number of class hours, but two degrees.

I tried researching some more on the belt clip, and I saw where the character specific costumes required, but not on the generic. That is my biggest question. Just trying to figure out if I go with the saber I'm looking at, do i need to add a knob to hook it to the clip or can I use the d-ring and it's belt clip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, Jada, you know me so well!!!

Hi Michael, welcome to Blue Ridge Base... I'm no costume judge, but generally speaking, Old Republic jedi must have a covertec clip. They are relatively cheap and can be found if you look for them. Here is the standard for the Old Republic Jedi:

Generic Jedi

1. Earth tones meaning browns or any shade of brown outer tunic
2. Earth tone tabards (must extend below obi in front - aprox 1/2 way between obi & bottom of outer tunic / can end at obi in rear)
3. Earth tone obi/sash
4. Belt with a wide leather main belt with a covertec (or similar), thinner secondary belt on top of the main belt, and a buckle. Thinner secondary belt cannot be loose or "sag". No black belts accepted.
5. Lightsaber(No toy sabers)
6. Brown Boots (leather, suede, pleather) must rise at least to the calf, but not above the knee. No rubber boots or black boots allowed. No visible laces.
7. Pants or skirt
8. No visible t-shirts

As for the lightsaber, you can definitely get by with just the hilt and not the FX, or you can go with the FX and no hilt (but it's good to have both since you really need that blade effect for the kids and then when they're gone, you can switch to carrying the hilt on your belt).

I say, get that nice Luke saber but also get the covertec to place on your jedi belt. The costume judge will see that you have the clip and that will be that!

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
JediMike76 (Michael)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I have one of the "build your own" FX sabers that I can use to have the blade on, I'm just looking for a good hilt to hang from the belt. I'll grab the covertec or I saw a clip on one website that was made for both that style and had the hook piece for a D ring all on one clip.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I look forward to being a member when I get all the other stuff squared away, and keep me posted on things in the state, and I will start looking through my Masonic networks for events we might be able to participate in, I know we do many benefits for children all over the state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Blue Ridge Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: