About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3a1aca7729c1cd54839ff457dd84e9eaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo belt build-WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Scoundrels,

As promised, here is a photo of the belt so far:

[img]
Han Solo belt-ESB version by bri457, on Flickr

Knowing what I know now, I would suggest working in the opposite direction of what I did; that is to say start with the holster, and work toward the belt. The reason being that the holster has a lot of complex curves. It is also wet-molded. These factors make it accept the dye differently, and it turns out somewhat darker.

For me, this was not a problem, as I was considering making the belt darker anyway, and I'm glad I did. The challenge was that, because I had already set my snaps, rivets, etc, I got dye all over them when I re-stained the belt. You might think that the dye would wipe right off of the snaps, (as I did) but you'd be wrong. The dye turned the snaps a brass color.

A little nail-polish remover fixed it, but I would hope to save others the headache. Build your holster, dye it, and make the other pieces match.

I also abandoned the idea of using the same belt and holster for both the ESB/ROTJ versions. I had thought that the EBS blaster and ROTJ blaster were more similar; having the same scope-mount, but with different scopes. I recently purchased an ROTJ blaster, however, and found this is not the case.

Since I wet-mold the holster to the weapon, I will make an entirely new holster and holster-strap for the ROTJ version. If you use a more "generic" mold for the holster, however, you could still make it work for both versions; simply use Chicago screws to attach your holster to the holster-strap instead of rivets. That way, you can remove it and attach it to the holster-strap with the grooves. (ROTJ version)

I also replaced my original buckles with larger ones; more proportionately correct to the slightly wider belt that I made. Doing this caused the two sets of snaps set closest to the rear buckle to be completely covered up, however. Live and learn, I suppose.

I think I've said enough for now. There are a few more suggestions, but I'll save those for a later post. I will order the metal disk from elvistrooper this weekend.

For now, this is CaptSolo signing off.

May the Force be with you,

Brian
Bonded Hawk ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the only thing stopping you from using the belt for both ESB/ROTJ is the holster, you might want to consider removing the rivets from the holster and using Chicago screws. That way you can still use the same belt.

Bonded Hawk

By the way I have been following, and enjoying your build.
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is that the British Tan dye? From the picture on Tandy's website I would think it should have been lighter...
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hawk,

Good to hear from you, you've been kind of quiet on the boards lately. I hope your build is going well.

You're right about the Chicago screws. In fact, that's how I originally attached my holster. The problem I had was with the fast-draw. Every time I went to pull my blaster, it would get caught on the heads of the screws. This doesn't mean they won't work, it just means mine were too long. I used a 3/8" screw. It was perfectly adequate to hold the weight of my blaster, and good enough for walking around; just not good for the fast-draw.

For anyone thinking of using this method, I would suggest a 1/8" to 1/4" screw. It should solve the problem, theoretically.

Havok,

Yep, that's British Tan, two coats. The second coat is what makes it seem darker. I would not suggest this color for your build, though. The ANH belt is more of a "yellow-brown" as opposed to the "reddish-brown" of the ESB/ROTJ belt.

Again, look at Bob's hi-res photos, and I think you'll see what I mean.

Good luck to you both, I look forward to seeing your progress.

"It's the nature of the business, it's the Smuggler's Blues." Cool

Brian
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Scoundrels,

Just wanted to post a couple of pics I came across this weekend. These appear to be either hi-rez or behind-the-scenes photos of Harrison from ESB. Gives a very good idea of just how reddish the belt-rig was, especially when compared to his dark-brown pants. They don't seem to be affected by the "blue" tint of the technicolor process used in the film.

[img]
Han-ESB 1 by bri457, on Flickr

[img]
Han-ESB 2 by bri457, on Flickr
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also clearly see that Han's jacket is gray, not blue, in those pics. Wink
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen wrote:
You can also clearly see that Han's jacket is gray, not blue, in those pics. Wink

Yeah, its a lighting thing... and an endless topic when it comes to Han...lol. I just hope one day the film gets color corrected to end the questions.

Those pictures are also on the Han Archives... found them a while back on the star wars rare vintage photos on Facebook.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bob and JediLoreen,

Thank you both for your interest in my thread, as well as your interest in helping others complete the best Solo possible.

You both have valid points regarding the jacket, however, since this thread is geared toward the belt, I will refrain from offering my opinions at this time. As I progress with my build, I may offer my viewpoints/experiences with the jacket, but in a separate thread.

I would love to continue the conversation, but as Bob said, this topic is very subjective. I don't know if there will ever be a definite answer to this question.

I look forward to continuing this discussion, and hope to see you both on "the other side."

May the Force be with You,

Brian
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Smugglers,

Sorry to be out of touch so long, I've been out of it for awhile. Life in Mos Eisely has a way of doing that. Anyhow, here is a final pic of the ESB version of the belt, complete with blaster, tools, and disk from elvistrooper:

[img]
IMG_0310 by bri457, on Flickr[/img]

As long as I'm on the topic, here is a detail shot of the tools and blaster:

[img][/img]IMG_0311 bybri457, on Flickr

Now, using the same belt and the same buckles, but switching out the holster assembly, here is the ROTJ version:

[img]ROTJ belt bybri457, on flickr

You can barely see the groove in the holster strap, but here is a detail shot:

[img]IMG_0314 bybri457, on flickr[/img]

Finally, here is a detail shot of the ROTJ blaster and tools:

[img]IMG_0315 bybri457, on Flickr[/img]

Even though the ESB and ROTJ blasters are quite different, it didn't have as much effect on the wet-molding of the holster as I expected; the holsters came out very similar and the blasters can be exchanged from one to the other very easily.

Notice also, however, the placement of the snaps on the thigh strap; evenly spaced for ROTJ, one snap "skipped" for ESB.

The main thing to take away here is this; prior to this build I had never:

-Sewn leather
-Wet-molded leather
-Beveled or slicked edges of leather or
-worked with grooving tools, overstitch wheels, etc.

Yet I am quite pleased with the results, and very glad I did not spend the $400.00 on an MP belt. The point is, if I can do it, anyone can do it. There is no reason to settle for a sub-par costume version of this belt. With time, patience, a little research and a bit more money you can make a far superior version of the rig. Read jedimika's tutorial, consider the observations I have made, and you too can create your own work of art.

As Bob has said, it's like "earning your wings."

This may seem like the end, but there is still the ANH version; I have already started that one, and will post more info as the build progresses. Stay tuned.

For now, this is CaptSolo signing off from Mos Eisely.

Keep your eyes peeled, and your blasters close.

Last edited by CaptSolo77 (Brian) on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the ROTJ version pic?

You might want to preview your posts before you Submit them, to make sure all your images are working.
Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lori,

Talk about "Johnny on the spot!" I realized the links weren't working, and edited my original post. Actually, I just hit "submit" too soon. The pics look alright now. Hope you like them.

Brian
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptSolo77 wrote:

I like your belt with holster -> awsome piece of work! Smile

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! It looks great! Super job! You can be really proud of your work.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I'm thinking the dye is a little too much on the red side, however it's still beautiful. I hope mine ends up coming out at least half as good as yours...
Defiance (Carlos)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job, looks awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: