About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=12406627d42ddf85cd3c27564bd9a9baMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Need opinions on these stilts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Need opinions on these stilts Reply with quote

So I'm getting closer and closer all the time to breaking down and getting a pair of stilts for my Chewie costume. I'd still keep the other feet, just in case.
However, I'm not in a position right now to dump 200-300 on a pair of skywalker stilts, so I found these.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/DRYWALL-PAINTER-STILTS-ALUMINUM-SkyScraper-15-23-/180683176506?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1035771674745696436

I would only need the 15" kind which would put me at about 7'6" suited up, which works for me.
Any opinions either way on these stilts???
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard of the brand, but they look like standard drywall stilts. The only thing about these is that they're adjustable, which adds a lot of unnecessary weight. But the price is great! There are a couple of reviews on Amazon, both good.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look pretty good, although as Julie suggested they will be heavier since they are adjustable.

I'm going to go against the majority and say I prefer the traditional stilt design to the Skywalker stilts. Both the traditional design and the skywalker design allow the angle to flex, but traditional drywall stilts are linked mechanically at the back and front of the foot. With training you can actually push off with your toes, this allow you to walk much faster and you can more easily shift your weight around on your feet. I can even stand on my toes!
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it comes down to what are you going to be doing the most of. If you plan on doing a bunch of long parades... go with the lightest stilt possible IMO. Nothing is worse than going with a heavy stilt on a long parade.
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do a ton of parades, I'm just looking for something to be more accurate both heightwise and to get rid of the giant foot sticking out that I currently have.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll put in my two credits since I've been trooping with Skywalker stilts for about six months.... I agree with Matt in that the flex in the foot portion really allows for more balance and natural walking mobility (with practice).
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skywalker stilts rock.....been on them for 2 years...no regrets and Ive done 2 mile parades and alot of cons. Flexiblity and ease of movement and balance can not be beat. Believe it or not the little bit of added weight gives you more stability at ground level.

Chewy Layers snow to print
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
One other thing you may want to consider in converting from lifts to stilts is making sure your pants leg opening is wide enough so you DO NOT see the stilt foot base or any of it. The hair suit has to be a little loose around the stilt so you do not see the stilt outline when standing or walking. You want to hear wow he is tall, not ohh hes on stilts you can see them. Taper the legs from thinner at the top to wider at the lower part.

Chewy Layers snow to print
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the stilts came today.

I put them together and strapped them on for a quick spin around the basement (good thing I paid for the higher ceiling down there!!).

Didn't to TOO badly for a first effort. I've already found that keeping your feet spread a bit wider is better. Laughing

Quick strap question though. I have 2 foot straps on my stilts. I assume the front one goes around the toes and the back one goes over the tongue area of your shoe (as close to your ankle as possible)??
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolt a pair of shoes onto the stilts. Seriously. You'll never get more secure than that.
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drill through the shoes, the stilts and everything?? Or is there another way?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's where I am at.
Here are my current pants with the stilts....

I'm thinking they look pretty good. My thinking was if those would work, I would only need to make and latch hook leg extensions to go on the ends of the pant legs when I wear the stilts. The only thing I'm concerned with is how it will look from there down as I try to get around my foot sticking out. Could I possibly take the heel bracket (which is currently as far back as possible) off the foot plate and try to slide my shoe a touch farther back (assuming that doesn't throw my balance off)??

Then here it is with the shirt as well.....

Again, not too bad, but I'm thinking I may have to add a little longer hair to the end of the sleeves to balance things out.

Any other opinions??? They would be appreciated!!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my legs, I had to start widening the pantlegs at the knees to create a bellbottom in order to cover the feet. I wouldn't take the heel bracket off unless you want to bolt on the shoes (I use the straps myself). If you're going to use the straps, you'll need that heel bracket.

One solution would be slice up the seam on the side and insert triangle shaped mesh wedges into the legs to start widening it up higher, which would then allow your lower extensions to be bigger and disguise your feet. This is what we did to my snowspeeder jacket because it was too tight in the hips, and it worked out fine.

As for the arm hair length, I think it looks good as it is.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with theigh muscles to help hide were the platform to the stilts are... it allowed me a more gradual move down the pant leg.

Bob
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Julie.
I still have enough mesh that I should be able to do that without a problem.
I'll have to order some mesh to make the leg extensions (unless someone has a yard or so left over that they want to get rid of!! Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: