About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e2138723937bbabf9371af32a0c4d5f1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Shoe angle advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Shoe angle advice? Reply with quote

Hi all -

Quick question: I'm working on the feet for my costume, and I need to set the angle of the shoe on top of the lifts. I think the steeper the angle, the more natural the foot will look, but how steep can it go and still be comfortable for a parade or standing around? Right now, the top of my lift flattens around the middle of the shoe, just behind the ball of the foot. I can make the foot look much better if the top of the lift is only flat from the ball of the foot forward, but that means essentially walking on my toes. Is that going to be as uncomfortable as I think it will be? I sure would like to steepen the shoe angle, but I'm not sure I can...

Here is the current shoe angle:

Thanks,
Rorr
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The toes (yours, not Chewie's) should be level with the ground. That's how high heels and platform boots work.

Take a look at some of the foot build threads for determining the slope:
Duck's feet:

Ryan's feet:

Your feet should be slopped at an angle that looks natural. The top of your shoes should have the same angle as the top of your Wookiee toes. Does that make sense?

Also, how tall are you? The platform/lift method works well for folks who are tall to begin with. I'm 6'4", Duck is 6'2", Ryan is 6'6". The shorter you are the more you should consider true drywall stilts.
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt -

Thanks for the advice, and the picture of Duck's shoes in particular. It looks like I can get away with a steeper angle on the shoe then. I have arthritis in my big toe (I broke it and foolishly never went to get it set), so I'll have to have the "shoe mount" flat at least to the ball of the foot, but that's quite a bit more angle than what I have now.

I'm 6'-2", so I'm right on the border between stilts and lifts, I guess. If I can make the lifts work, I'd rather go that route, so I'm trying that first.

Thanks for the help!
Rorr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: