Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1157c22ff035e9aee4e3175bc3160e03Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

How to make cheap Jedi boots look better
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandatrooper ()
Falcon Base XO
Falcon Base XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, glad to help. Smile
Zanderval (Josue)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome tutorial. I have the same boots and have been trying to think of a way to make em look better. going to give this a shot.
pandatrooper ()
Falcon Base XO
Falcon Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow up. After 3+ years of wearing these several times a year (at least 15-20 times now) there is no paint chipping or cracking or any flaking. Boots and weathering held up great. I even wore them once in the rain!
psunuc ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent weathering job.

Jedi boots can be brown or black. For face character whatever they had on. For generics the standard rule is to match belt and boot color.
Taoré Timarick (Matthew McKenzie)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Tested your method Reply with quote

Took some tinkering with your instructions (for instance, the dabbing is actually more like polishing a boot as opposed to just dabbing it on and a LOT more coats to blend it) but I think I managed to get that son of a gun down good. These too were the cheap riding boots you can get off ebay. Hope they look ok?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11043186_10152759052128528_2719766696716416677_n.jpg?oh=cef6d93aa2c29da9b86a9b1dbb5835bf&oe=558C9E00&__gda__=1433760180_ed2ac825660ab7f49f9ed8f32ed384f3
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pandatrooper!

I deviated slightly from your guide here but love my results. I just finished them up tonight and they look so much better than what came out of the box.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74095
fomare ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make cheap Jedi boots look better Reply with quote

pandatrooper wrote:
I've been working on my OR Jedi costume, and I ended getting some of these cheap Anakin / "Walker" knee boots from Ebay etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Walker-130-Combat-Style-Knee-Boots-Costume-Shoes-/270732076558?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item84b7b10b0e

Also available here
http://www.buystarwarscostumes.com/anakin-adult-boots.html

I would love to get a real leather pair some day, but due to budget constraints, this is what I have to work with. But have no fear! You can make them look a lot better! Smile

For those that don't know, I create a lot of tutorials for Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers etc. (yes, one from the dark side is among you!) but many great tips can be shared on various costumes.

I did a lot of research on how the original Sandtroopers were weathered, and I thought I could use similar techniques on the Jedi boots. See videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/panda86dk#p/u/8/OIv50-vOalA

Boot weathering here
http://www.youtube.com/user/panda86dk#p/u/10/JRNfNTLOvvE
http://www.youtube.com/user/panda86dk#p/u/9/5Sj96nV-I-Y

The Jedi boots are made from vinyl / fake leather, and have a very "cheap" quality to them, but with some simple tricks, they can actually look pretty good. I don't plan on using the big spats, so I removed it from the boots.

I used a similar technique as the Sandtrooper boots, using a darker paint to darken the "shadow" or low lighting areas of the boots, but I did another pass using a reddish Burnt Sienna color for the highlights of the boots.

Here's the boots as they came from Ebay, just removed the spats. Wonderful cheap fake leatherness.

I'm using artist quality Liquitex acrylics. Don't use cheap tempera or Michaels type paints, the binders are poor quality. For the shadow areas, I use 70% burnt umber and 30% black. Highlights use Burnt Sienna right out of the tube.

Put the boots on, and with a dabbing motion using a natural sponge, sponge on the black brown mixture everywhere, including under any straps, etc. This is where all the real "dirt" and grime would settle. Let it dry for about 15 mins or use a hair dryer to dry it.

With the boot still on and with your toes and ankle bent, you will now remove some of the black brown paint. Using a terry cloth rag (wet, but with all the water wrung out) and in a twisting motion, dab and twist at the paint to remove it. Make sure to leave a lot of the black brown in the creases, under the straps, in the stitching, etc. Remove paint from all the high spots. It should look like this when done.

Let the boot dry. Then to make it look like the boots have been polished and the weather "worn in", dab / sponge the high spots using Burnt Sienna (reddish). Again, keep the boots on and your toes and ankles bent. This will crinkle the boot in the right places. Make sure to hit the high spots and upper surfaces, like the straps and the strap keep loops. DO NOT overdo the red, don't dab it on every high spot, just the most worn areas (toe, wrinkles on instep, strap fronts, heel, strap keepers).

Now the boots have a a great reddish warm hue where the "leather" has broken in. This is similar to how the Jedi pouches look.

Comparison with original boot

Close up of heels

Finished boots. They look so much better! Don't worry about clear coating or sealing them, they will wear / weather naturally. So chips and scuffs will add to the realism.

Here's a video with a description of what I did and footage of the finished boot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd9o0XNGm2s

Hope this helps other Jedis with their cheap boots! Enjoy.

These boots are valid to enter the rebel?
I'm interested to know, to buy them

thx
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make cheap Jedi boots look better Reply with quote

fomare wrote:

These boots are valid to enter the rebel?
I'm interested to know, to buy them

thx

yes. these boots are valid.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for the write up!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi amazing this worked for me, the problem i have now is the paint is cracking in places, so wondering should i remove paint somehow? and redo the areas or redo the whole boot, not sure what i can use to remove the paint ( i used the paint techniques etc as above )
Thanks in advance

Jedjools
Suspended Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Smile

Are your boots leather or "plastic"?

yours
leroni
KJO DMerchOr 2015/2016
Wretched Hive DMerchO 2014/2015
Twilek - Saga

jedjools ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic exactly as photos above actually!
Suspended Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedjools wrote:
Plastic exactly as photos above actually!

hmm plastic is not easy to repair. Most of the time the plastic dissolves from the carrier material (usually cloth).

Only speculation because i dont have it in my hands. (have done it with one of my "plastic" boots)

You need to cut the material that is standing away. and use some elastic paint to replace the missing material. You could also use elastic filler or silicon (like you use for walls in the bathroom) and than paint it.

yours
Leroni
KJO DMerchOr 2015/2016
Twilek - Saga

Leroni (Leroni)
Suspended Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: you will be able to use the boots for 1-2 years longer

The best are always leather boots, you can have them for so many years and it is easier to repair them or paint them again ...
KJO DMerchOr 2015/2016
Twilek - Saga

jedjools ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and tips, it is only the surface of the boot that seems damaged (the paint layer) acrylic paint that has flaked, maybe that being the case it possibly may not be a big job to sort out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: