About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2d29ef870250bff85d31b16cd57d918fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

How to make cheap Jedi boots look better
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: How to make cheap Jedi boots look better Reply with quote

I've been working on my OR Jedi costume, and I ended getting some of these cheap Anakin / "Walker" knee boots from Ebay etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Walker-130-Combat-Style-Knee-Boots-Costume-Shoes-/270732076558?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item84b7b10b0e

Also available here
http://www.buystarwarscostumes.com/anakin-adult-boots.html

I would love to get a real leather pair some day, but due to budget constraints, this is what I have to work with. But have no fear! You can make them look a lot better! Smile

For those that don't know, I create a lot of tutorials for Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers etc. (yes, one from the dark side is among you!) but many great tips can be shared on various costumes.

I did a lot of research on how the original Sandtroopers were weathered, and I thought I could use similar techniques on the Jedi boots. See videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/panda86dk#p/u/8/OIv50-vOalA

Boot weathering here
http://www.youtube.com/user/panda86dk#p/u/10/JRNfNTLOvvE
http://www.youtube.com/user/panda86dk#p/u/9/5Sj96nV-I-Y

The Jedi boots are made from vinyl / fake leather, and have a very "cheap" quality to them, but with some simple tricks, they can actually look pretty good. I don't plan on using the big spats, so I removed it from the boots.

I used a similar technique as the Sandtrooper boots, using a darker paint to darken the "shadow" or low lighting areas of the boots, but I did another pass using a reddish Burnt Sienna color for the highlights of the boots.

Here's the boots as they came from Ebay, just removed the spats. Wonderful cheap fake leatherness.

I'm using artist quality Liquitex acrylics. Don't use cheap tempera or Michaels type paints, the binders are poor quality. For the shadow areas, I use 70% burnt umber and 30% black. Highlights use Burnt Sienna right out of the tube.

Put the boots on, and with a dabbing motion using a natural sponge, sponge on the black brown mixture everywhere, including under any straps, etc. This is where all the real "dirt" and grime would settle. Let it dry for about 15 mins or use a hair dryer to dry it.

With the boot still on and with your toes and ankle bent, you will now remove some of the black brown paint. Using a terry cloth rag (wet, but with all the water wrung out) and in a twisting motion, dab and twist at the paint to remove it. Make sure to leave a lot of the black brown in the creases, under the straps, in the stitching, etc. Remove paint from all the high spots. It should look like this when done.

Let the boot dry. Then to make it look like the boots have been polished and the weather "worn in", dab / sponge the high spots using Burnt Sienna (reddish). Again, keep the boots on and your toes and ankles bent. This will crinkle the boot in the right places. Make sure to hit the high spots and upper surfaces, like the straps and the strap keep loops. DO NOT overdo the red, don't dab it on every high spot, just the most worn areas (toe, wrinkles on instep, strap fronts, heel, strap keepers).

Now the boots have a a great reddish warm hue where the "leather" has broken in. This is similar to how the Jedi pouches look.

Comparison with original boot

Close up of heels

Finished boots. They look so much better! Don't worry about clear coating or sealing them, they will wear / weather naturally. So chips and scuffs will add to the realism.

Here's a video with a description of what I did and footage of the finished boot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd9o0XNGm2s

Hope this helps other Jedis with their cheap boots! Enjoy.
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW that is really nice awesome weathering job!
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice weathering! I have a question though, how does that type of paint compare to vinyl paint for weatherablity and wearablity?

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, glad you guys like it.

Aysel, quality artist acrylics have really good binders for adhesion, and because it's acrylic it can bend and flex.

Remember, with this type of weathering technique, you're not trying to cover the entire boot with a solid "layer" of opaque paint (which is what vinyl paint is intended for). You're still able to see about 60% of the original brown "fake leather", but about 25% is covered by the dark brown, and 15% is highlights.

Plus the sponge technique blends the paint in, which results in a much more textural look as opposed to a flat look. I have used Liquitex acrylics on a variety of costumes and they hold up very well to use and abuse.
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the tutorial. The finished product looks really nice.
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT is what I need to do to mine, Pandatrooper.... indeed, thanks for the tips. I modded up some of the plain brown Funtasma boots, no straps or loops, with leather pieces over the shins (comes around just enough to cover the zipper), but I haven't "aged" them yet. I will have to see about that!

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Birdman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aysel wrote:
nice weathering! I have a question though, how does that type of paint compare to vinyl paint for weatherablity and wearablity?

I have the same question. Looks awesome though!
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, it was suggested that I put together a small tutorial on how I did the leather application on the plain boots... anyone else interested? Here are my boots:

Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:
Btw, it was suggested that I put together a small tutorial on how I did the leather application on the plain boots... anyone else interested? Here are my boots:

yes, do eet Very Happy

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, OK. I will be going back to remove the shiny buckles, btw... replacing with velcro. That was my 19th century leather working tendencies coming through when I put the buckles on Smile

pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, the same technique can be used to make cheap pouches look good too. These were 2 cheap Ebay cosplay foam pouches. Smile Same paints, same colors. Just weathered them and applied some Krylon gloss clear coat.

Hollis DZC ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELLENT job of weathering!! I really, really like what you did to those boots! I will have to save this, for when I get a black pair like that. I'm thinking dark greys to weather? What do you think?
pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollis DZC wrote:
EXCELLENT job of weathering!! I really, really like what you did to those boots! I will have to save this, for when I get a black pair like that. I'm thinking dark greys to weather? What do you think?

Glad you like the technique. I think Jedi boots will need to be brown, but black could be used for other costumes? For black, I would use black for the shadows, and a medium grey for the highlights. You don't need much, apply it in light semi transparent passes so that it blends in with the boot.
Hollis DZC ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandatrooper wrote:
Hollis DZC wrote:

Glad you like the technique. I think Jedi boots will need to be brown, but black could be used for other costumes? For black, I would use black for the shadows, and a medium grey for the highlights. You don't need much, apply it in light semi transparent passes so that it blends in with the boot.

I'm working on Quinlan Vos, in armor, based on the comic- from what I can tell, it looks like he's wearing black boots- I really appreciate your technique and thanks for sharing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: