About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=34c3614e3c8a5c4bc0955d0231de7aefMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wobbly Wookiees?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Wobbly Wookiees? Reply with quote

Hi all -

Quick question: I've been walking around in my lifts a bit, and I'm still pretty unsteady. There is a strong tendency for the feet to roll to the outside. If I'm careful, I'm fine, but I can see that if I lose my concentration I could easily fall.

Based on your experience, is this normal and just a matter of practice, or should I consider re-doing my feet with a slightly wider (and flatter) bottom? At this point, it wouldn't be tragic to start over on the shoes -- I haven't started sculpting toes yet.

Thanks,
Rorr
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the whole foot rolling or is it YOUR foot rolling??

I had a problem with ankle support and ended up having to remake my feet with roller blade boots. They work well, but are HUGE because I can't use the "high heel" method with the boot.

If it's the whole Wookiee foot, then I would suggest trying again and make sure the foot widens a bit as you work your way down. Nobody will notice with all the hair.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is NOT normal... You may have a support issue at the ankle. I almost never have issues... unless I am on a float that stops suddenly, or dealing with a nasty incline. I can dance (electric slide baby!), jump and move extremely fast. I have been at cons where people have a hard time keeping up with me if I want to move. I have been in Chewie since 08?... and have never fallen... yet!

I would suggest rethinking your plan.. maybe even somemore ankle support somehow. Not sure of the lifts needing to be flat... I do not have lifts... I use stilts. *shrug*

Bob

Dance Chewie
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The support in my ankle (at my real foot) really feels fine. I think the problem is that I curved the foam under slightly at the bottom thinking that 1) it would make it easier to have a more natural gait, and 2) it would look more like Duck's photo of his foot. It is really the foot (the foam part) and not the shoe that is rolling.

It definitely sounds like I should go for another try. All part of the learning experience, I'm sure. These feet are 100% better than my last attempt, which are 100% better than the attempt before that. So it's all good. I'm trying to take good notes as I build this costume (including a detailed log of everything I spend), so hopefully my mistakes will help out future Wookiees.

Thanks again!
Rorr
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how many lift users out there use tire treds, but I do know that the Tire tred was also suppose to help with comfot and safe walking on multiple surfaces. SO maybe if you flatten out the bottom, and go with some sort of rubber tred... maybe that will help. *shrug*

Bob
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you definately want a flat bottom to the feet.

Mine do flare out a bit at the bottom to just give a little more surface area as well.

Last edited by Lumpy (Chris Blackstock) on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greywolf (Julie Yakes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I tested mine out (while still in the production process) and I ended up adding foamboard to the outsides to widen it there. Once I did that, I haven't had any problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my stilts. I added strips of rubber on the side that was rolling.
No problems now.
I will post a pic in a few.
TheNegotiator (Derek Struchtemeyer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see pics Scott! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine dont usually give me any problems either except when you are in an open space and some very eager Chewie fan runs up and pounces on you.

I usually try and stand with me back to a wall or some other support.
Wide base is definitely the key to stability.
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing what that small strip did for me.
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott -

The bottom of your foot (without the strip) looks remarkably like mine. It looks like that's definitely the problem I have. Since I don't have any hair or toes yet, I went ahead and pulled the duct tape off of the feet. My plan is to cut off the bottom inch (or two) that is curved under and replace that with new flat foam boards. I can then sand those down at the top to match the rest of the foot while (now) giving a flat base. Does that seem like a reasonable solution?

Thanks for the help, this is great to see how people fixed what must be a fairly common problem!

Rorr
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything on the bottom of mine is heavy rubber.

The problem I had was with screws that are under the rubber. Once I added the strip of rubber it raised the side up above the screws and leveled the foot out.

Sometimes just adding something is easier than taking it all apart.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what your saying is that one should cut the bottom of the foam and test it out to make it right before they apply the rubber... correct?
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
So what your saying is that one should cut the bottom of the foam and test it out to make it right before they apply the rubber... correct?

Yeah. Smile I had a feeling that sounded confusing. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: