About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2b47c3fdbc0eb31305bed9df6f104e8aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A Desert Wookiee WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK-6162 (Mark Williams)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bro, It was late and I was alllllll confused. I was thinking Mos Espa, not Mos Eisley.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of updates:

Thanks to the expert advice of the other Wookiees here, I now have a nice and stable pair of feet. Here's what they look like:

I am about 6'-11" in these, so with the mask, I should be okay on height. They feel good -- I can walk normally, striking with the heel first and letting the foot roll forward to the toe. This, as opposed to walking on my toes like I was before.

I also got my lifecast made this past weekend. I'm doing this a bit differently from what most of the Wookiees here have done. Gullwing Lifecasting here in Phoenix is an art studio that makes lifecast art professionally. I consulted with Bill, the artist, and after explaining what I wanted to do, asked what his opinion on the best way to go about it. He said that since we build up the top of the skull in clay to make the underskull, there's no need to cast the full head. Instead, it's a lot simpler and easier to just cast the front half of the head (from crown to chest and ear to ear) then rough sculpt the back of the head from plaster or clay. As long as the front-to-back width of the sculpture exceeds the front-to-back width of the real head, there's no problem. The underskull has to be fitted using foam regardless.

So, here's some photos of the lifecasting process. I've got more on my website (http://keithwatt.org/Rorrlancca/). First, here's the alginate layer:

Next the plaster bandages for the mother mold (you can better see how far back Bill recommends casting here):

The finished mold:

And the cast!

After a bit of clean-up, I'll be ready to sculpt the back of the head and then Wookiee face itself. I'm not at all sure my sculpting skills are up to the challenge of the Wookiee face, but we shall see.

I'm thinking I might make a latex rubber mold from the cast as-is. That way, if disaster occurs, I don't have to go through the lifecasting process again. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Rorr
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use RTV silicone if you are taking a mould of your cast.
Latex rubber shrinks badly and will take forever to build up in layers.

RTV will be pricier but worth it.
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feet look good!!
Keep it up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: