About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ff5aa134c9a2c867ce276cc25d67ec87Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia Ceremonial hair help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sith Mom ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Leia Ceremonial hair help Reply with quote

I've looked all over and can't find info on how to do the braided bun on the top of Leia's head. I know it seems simple but I have short hair and can't pull it all up in a pony tail to attach hair extentions. Now, I do have enough hair when I do my Aurra Sing outfit but all I need there is hair up top before covering my head with a bald cap. If anyone has any info with pics on how they made their hair piece please let me know. Thx!
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done this one, but if you can get your hair up enough to hide the ends under a pre-made braided bun, I'd suggest attaching braids in a coil over a plastic bowl, with a longer braid in the back. Then, you can bobby pin that to your own hair.

Princess Dee ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s pretty much how I do mine, even when it’s too short for a nice ponytail.

I’ve made my braided bun with a foundation made from the wire mesh used to make clay sculptures. Then I cover that with some fabric. Then wrap my fake braids around, and stitch it all together with a matching thread. I put a hair comb in the front to help it hold on to my natural hair, and secure it well with bobby pins around the edge.

I make sure to spray my hair really well with hair spray before putting the bun on. That should help hold down any not-quite-long-enough hairs.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done searching for pre-made hair pieces and while some things come close there's really nothing I've found that's spot on. So I'd also go with the make it yourself route, just make sure that the bun base is the right shape and sturdy enough that it won't squish. And either stitch the hair in place or hot glue (or both) it what they had to do for the Carrie Fisher since she didn't have long hair then

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
PatchworkPirate ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently helped make this hair piece for a friend. She bought 3 or so packs of braiding hair in the right color, and made braids of the right thickness. Then she bought a styrofoam block and cut it into a cylinder. We then scooped out one end so we could pile her hair into it (which wasn't much - she has shorter hair). We also cut a notch for the long braid to go under and fall down her back.

I wrapped a couple of the braids around the cylinder and glued them on using E6000. I also used long u-shaped hair pins to help hold it in place as it dried and for stability. To attach it to her head, I had her put her hair into a high ponytail (again, short beause her hair is shorter) and I pinned the snot out of it. I also used about a can and a half of Aquanet to make sure it stayed. I then tied her braid that would go down her back to her ponytail and pinned it as well. Then came the headpiece. I placed it on her head and had her hold it while I used a LOT of long u-shaped bobby pins and stabbed through the headpiece and styrofoam into her hair. Once it was sturdy I used A LOT more hairspray. It stayed on all night, even through D*Con partying! Smile

Will try to find pics soon...
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatchworkPirate wrote:
I've recently helped make this hair piece for a friend. She bought 3 or so packs of braiding hair in the right color, and made braids of the right thickness. Then she bought a styrofoam block and cut it into a cylinder. We then scooped out one end so we could pile her hair into it (which wasn't much - she has shorter hair). We also cut a notch for the long braid to go under and fall down her back.

I wrapped a couple of the braids around the cylinder and glued them on using E6000. I also used long u-shaped hair pins to help hold it in place as it dried and for stability. To attach it to her head, I had her put her hair into a high ponytail (again, short beause her hair is shorter) and I pinned the snot out of it. I also used about a can and a half of Aquanet to make sure it stayed. I then tied her braid that would go down her back to her ponytail and pinned it as well. Then came the headpiece. I placed it on her head and had her hold it while I used a LOT of long u-shaped bobby pins and stabbed through the headpiece and styrofoam into her hair. Once it was sturdy I used A LOT more hairspray. It stayed on all night, even through D*Con partying! Smile

Will try to find pics soon...

awesome! and yes please pictures! ^_^

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently looking for extensions that are long enough for the braid down the back.
I have fairly long hair, so planning to use my own hair for the thin braids on top, but need long extensions down my back and can't find something longer than 65 cm, and mostly I can't find the right color regardless of length. Confused

I did find 75 cm extensions, but not in my color. I'm afraid I'll have to pay for international shipping since DK doesn't seem to have what I need. (The rest of the costume is done, so it's bummer not having this final piece done).

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
PatchworkPirate ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the braiding hair we used (the non-wefted extensions) came from a local place here called Hair World. Amphigory sells the same type of braiding hair we used in different colors... They're 48" long. I think we combined two of these to make the long braid. I can't rememember for sure but I think that's right.

http://amphigory.com/hair_kanekalon_silky_braid.html
PatchworkPirate ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our group has decided to dress in our Star Wars costumes this weekend at GMX, so I will DEFINITELY get pics of our Leia's hair so I can post them for you all! Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that price isn't bad. Smile And now I'm thinking about color 6 for me. Think I'll look into this a little more. Thanks for the link.

Edit: hmm, doesn't ship international. Well, back to square one. Rolling Eyes

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: