About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c0bd878d06aeb550bbb49d337da2323eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Need opinions on these stilts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my pool!
Remo ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's ok to jump into this thread instead of starting my own. I found these stilts and since Im a bigger guy (though getting i better shape as we speak) figured it would be safe for me on these.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Heavy-duty-Dry-Wall-Stilts/3992609/product.html
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look great, but the listed weight limit of 450 lbs is not entirely accurate. Pretty much all commercial drywall stilts have weights limit of 225 lbs per stilt. Added together that is 450 lbs.

Now technically when you are standing in one place with your weight evenly distributed between both legs it will handle that much weight (maybe more).

However, when you walk around you are shifting your weight from one leg to the other so the weight limit per stilt is much more important than the combined limit of both stilts.

I used to be pretty chunky and at my heaviest I was 260 lbs. I trooped for just over two years with those stilts at that weight without any issues. A few years ago I got my poodoo together and got my weight down to a healthy 180 via cycling and healthy eating.

Just wanted to warn you about that. Good luck on your Wookiee and your weight loss and getting in shape.
Remo ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
Those look great, but the listed weight limit of 450 lbs is not entirely accurate. Pretty much all commercial drywall stilts have weights limit of 225 lbs per stilt. Added together that is 450 lbs.

I used to be pretty chunky and at my heaviest I was 260 lbs. I trooped for just over two years with those stilts at that weight without any issues. A few years ago I got my poodoo together and got my weight down to a healthy 180 via cycling and healthy eating.

Just wanted to warn you about that. Good luck on your Wookiee and your weight loss and getting in shape.

Thanks Matt. All the other stilts i saw had the 225 limit so when I found these i was like "awesome". Congrats on your weight change. I'm currently on a protein diet and have lost about 37lbs in the last month so im on my way.
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'm ready to tackle building the feet onto the stilts. Now I just have to decide how I want to go about it. Here's a pic of the bottom of my stilts....

I'm trying to figure out the best way to build up the foam around the stilt so I can add the latex toes to the front. Do I want to add some rubber to the bottoms of the stilt feet to make them wider and then build the foam up around (similar to what Scott did from looking through the build threads)? If so, how would I do that and still have the stilt foot be able to move and flex while I walk?? If not, then what would be some other recommendations??
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps bolt a larger sized piece of plywood to the "foot" and then build on that?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the stilts have flexability? Will they move at the base... if they do you will need your foot to move with the stilt... or you could serverly hamper the design of the stilt thus creating a safety issue.

I would go with a silicone Soma Foam or a flex foam of some kind. Encapsolate it in a Dragonskin and you should be good to go with hair punching your foot. Being foam based will be lighter than some materials and also be flexable. I would sculpt and cast this around the stilt and mount the casting so its resting flush with the bottom of the stilt... more decorative than anything else. Being a product that works so well with Dragonskin and having it encapsolated with dragonskin... you will have no issue hair punching this material.

just my 2 cents.

Bob Kohn
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different question.....

I ordered some more mesh from the link Bob found, but when it came today, the holes are HUGE compared to what I worked with before. I'm thinking that hooking like every other hole instead of every 3rd or 4th will still give me the coverage I need. Am I thinking right????
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I remember the holes are suppose to be 1/4 inch on the link I posted.... is that what they sent you?
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does anyone think???
It may be fine, the holes are just MUCH bigger than what I used before.
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it seems like the same fabric I posted before. about 3 holes per inch. somewhere between 1/4 inch holes and 3/8 inch holes from what I can see. What size is the stuff other wookiees use. Being that I have never latch hooked I have not done much of a study on it tbh.

This is the image they had on their site:

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Ducks tutorial makes it pretty easy by first glance.

duck wrote:
Here's what I'd suggest: there is no set way to go about it, but try and get fairly complete coverage. Like, in a one square inch area, try and get knots on all four corners. I'd be liar if I said I had coverage all over that thick (some places I flat out cheated like a mother and skipped around like 1.5 to 2 inches between knots in some areas), but I'm paying for it now by having to go back in and cover up bald spots, and it sucks big time trying to go in and latch-hook after the suit is done.

Here is a new suit my friend Syagria is helping me with that has WAY better coverage than mine, and I think this is the way to go:

Keep in mind, if you HAVE to start speeding up, the areas that are a bit more forgiving in terms of coverage are the crotch and inner legs, the ribs under the arms and the collar bone area. If you need to cut corners to make a deadline (or you just can't take another hour of mind-numbing latch-hooking), use more hair in those ares and skip around more. As long as the hair is hanging flat, you can sorta cheat a bit. Places where you do NOT want to cheat at all is the arms (forearms in particular) and the thighs and knees, because you bend there and the hair will flop around and expose bald patches bad. Take care in those areas.

Another important trick that I only figured out AFTER my suit was done (the first time) is to blow dry the Kanekalon hair on low before you use it. that straightens it right out and gives you a more accurate idea of coverage. When it's all frizzy, you think 5 knots will cover a square foot!

And always err on more knots with less hair per knot if you can. But don't worry about everything looking too thick and like a poodle, because you will need to groom the crap out of it when it's done, anyway. Thinning shears can remove TONS of hair. When I groomed my suit, I had an entire trash bag of clumped up hair I swept up. It's always easier to remove hair than add it. And it doesn't take forever, I groomed mine in about 90 minutes. Just have a shop vac handy.

Diagram of what Duck means:

duck wrote:
2 quick suggestions.

- go narrower and a bit straighter on the legs. It will be closer to Chewie's look plus cut down on a lot of latch-hooking.

- blow dry your hair on low before you latch hook it. It cuts down on the volume by 50% easy by straightening it out and gives you a much better idea of what the suit will end up looking like when it's finished and straightened. Blow dry what you've already done, too. Makes it easier to work with.

Oh, and toss in a few gray knots here and there to break it up. Just be random.

duck wrote:
I used at most 10-12 stands per knot and that was when I was being very wasteful. Once we got a system down, it was more like 5-8 strands per knot. It looks like you're using huge clumps.

Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh believe me, I know how to latch hook. Laughing

But if you look at those pics, the holes in the mesh are much smaller than what I just bought. I'm checking to see if people have used larger holed mesh before and if what I have will work or if I should try to find something else?
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be fine Chris....The hair covers sooo much when layered. Do a half inch or so in between each latch hook. Bigger holes mean you will get more airflow too.

Chewy Layers snow to print
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marty.
I'll give it a try. I ordered a bit of mesh from Colin's Cottage just in case this doesn't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: